2019 Madison Scouts!

1 hour ago, endy29 said:

The answer to the question as to why the hell the corps in in hotels and who is responisble is....... DCI. DCI is reponsible for arranging DCI Championships housing.  And the same is true for all the regionals as well.  Whenever DCI fails to secure housing DCI puts the corps up in hotels.  Therefore there will be no impact tp the Sccouts 2019 bottom line.   As far as renting a food truck.  The old was a wreck and had to go.  The cost of food trucks has really escalated.  A minimum of 100K to replace.  DOT regulations regarding mobile kitchens are pretty stiff.  Madison does not have that kind of cash laying around.  Leasing one makes sense from budgeting too as you pay the lease fee and you are off the hook for any repairs to the trailer for the summer.  It's a firm, predictable expense with no surprises.  So they send the trailer back on Wednesday and "cater" thursday through Saturday.   As for "Feed the Corps" promotion.  This is a fund raiser that several DCI corps use.  Some like Boston and the Academy have it runnng all tour long.  While I do not recall seeing Madison use it in the past, like a lot of good ideas the corps communicate at the DCI Boards Consortium various ideas that work.  If it is a first year endeavor there are likely a few wrinkles yet to work out. 

school is also starting earlier in Indiana, which can cause issues

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Deb's Diner said:

Someone, anyone, ask me. . I'll run for the BOD!

No one needs to ask you. If you are interested identify yourself, list your qualifications, vision and implementation plan, and go for it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Roark1 said:

No one needs to ask you. If you are interested identify yourself, list your qualifications, vision and implementation plan, and go for it.

I’d love to see the vision and implementation plan of the current BOD. They sure are doing a bang up job. 

34 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I’d love to see the vision and implementation plan of the current BOD. They sure are doing a bang up job. 

A clearly presented vision with regard to fundraising, 5-year budget modeling, staffing, member attraction, development, and retention, show content while maintaining the Madison swagger, and tour operation could find a receptive audience. I see a lot of complaining but not a lot of concrete, well-developed, fleshed out plans.

I would be interested in seeing what people with the knowledge, passion, and interest in making substantive change have to offer. It's easy to say something sucks, or the BOD should go away. Unless I've missed it, which is entirely possible, I have yet to see someone, or a cohesive group/slate of candidates put out a well thought out, detailed plan of how to get the corps back to where they want it to be. I for one, would love to see what a group of people that want to clean house have to offer in the way of a step -by-step plan to rebuild.

If such a group is out there with a plan, please point me in the right direction to see it and evaluate it prior to the BOD election this fall.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Roark1 said:

A clearly presented vision with regard to fundraising, 5-year budget modeling, staffing, member attraction, development, and retention, show content while maintaining the Madison swagger, and tour operation could find a receptive audience. I see a lot of complaining but not a lot of concrete, well-developed, fleshed out plans.

I would be interested in seeing what people with the knowledge, passion, and interest in making substantive change have to offer. It's easy to say something sucks, or the BOD should go away. Unless I've missed it, which is entirely possible, I have yet to see someone, or a cohesive group/slate of candidates put out a well thought out, detailed plan of how to get the corps back to where they want it to be. I for one, would love to see what a group of people that want to clean house have to offer in the way of a step -by-step plan to rebuild.

If such a group is out there with a plan, please point me in the right direction to see it and evaluate it prior to the BOD election this fall.

That’s not how it works. Someone doesn’t come along and say “I have a better plan so fire them and hire me.”  No.

I don’t know how, at this point, anyone could think this present BOD and ED have the corps heading in the right direction. They need to be removed. That’s step one.  You cannot take additional steps until you take the first one. And now is not the time for timid handwringing and being afraid to act for fear of the unknown (e.g. I need to see a plan first). Fortune favors the bold. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, endy29 said:

The answer to the question as to why the hell the corps in in hotels and who is responisble is....... DCI. DCI is reponsible for arranging DCI Championships housing.  And the same is true for all the regionals as well.  Whenever DCI fails to secure housing DCI puts the corps up in hotels.  Therefore there will be no impact tp the Sccouts 2019 bottom line.   As far as renting a food truck.  The old was a wreck and had to go.  The cost of food trucks has really escalated.  A minimum of 100K to replace.  DOT regulations regarding mobile kitchens are pretty stiff.  Madison does not have that kind of cash laying around.  Leasing one makes sense from budgeting too as you pay the lease fee and you are off the hook for any repairs to the trailer for the summer.  It's a firm, predictable expense with no surprises.  So they send the trailer back on Wednesday and "cater" thursday through Saturday.   As for "Feed the Corps" promotion.  This is a fund raiser that several DCI corps use.  Some like Boston and the Academy have it runnng all tour long.  While I do not recall seeing Madison use it in the past, like a lot of good ideas the corps communicate at the DCI Boards Consortium various ideas that work.  If it is a first year endeavor there are likely a few wrinkles yet to work out. 

I understand that many corps stay in hotels during finals week. I know that BD has done this for years now. I don’t see anything wrong with this at all.

There are several current members who do not identify as male.  The corps has rallied around them. The new “all inclusive Scouts” policy has been a wonderful turn of events for them.  (The kids today do not view gender as black and white as old folks do).

The Scouts of 2019 are not the “bastion of masculinity” that some thing the Scouts of 1987 were.  

Time change. 

Let’s stop bashing and start cheering!

Have a great end of tour, Scouts!

Edited by GetOFFmyDot
  • Like 5

41 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

That’s not how it works. Someone doesn’t come along and say “I have a better plan so fire them and hire me.”  No.

I don’t know how, at this point, anyone could think this present BOD and ED have the corps heading in the right direction. They need to be removed. That’s step one.  You cannot take additional steps until you take the first one. And now is not the time for timid handwringing and being afraid to act for fear of the unknown (e.g. I need to see a plan first). Fortune favors the bold. 

If someone wants my vote for the BOD, they need to show me why I should vote FOR them not against someone else. I respect your decision making process, mine is just different. At the end of the day, we all want to Scouts to prosper, and that is a good thing.

42 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

(The kids today do not view gender as black and white as old folks do).

Let’s stop bashing and start cheering!

"Old folks"? You are insulting everyone who has a different view on how the youth have been taught about gender, which isn't even relevant to this thread, but since you mentioned it, many old folks are concerned about mental illness. Gender dysphoria is recognized as a mental illness in the DSM-V. I just provided you with a fact not an opinion or an emotion. 

No one is bashing the corps members. If people don't like Madison's show, or BD's show, or Academy's show and they voice their opinion it's not bashing; it's opining. I watched the Scouts DCI Central show and I found nothing to cheer about. I also don't like watching baseball. 

55 minutes ago, Gantang said:

"Old folks"? You are insulting everyone who has a different view on how the youth have been taught about gender, which isn't even relevant to this thread, but since you mentioned it, many old folks are concerned about mental illness. Gender dysphoria is recognized as a mental illness in the DSM-V. I just provided you with a fact not an opinion or an emotion. 

No one is bashing the corps members. If people don't like Madison's show, or BD's show, or Academy's show and they voice their opinion it's not bashing; it's opining. I watched the Scouts DCI Central show and I found nothing to cheer about. I also don't like watching baseball. 

i have no issue with the change on membership outside of it reeks of desperation due to placement

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1