2019 Madison Scouts!

2 hours ago, Roark1 said:

A clearly presented vision with regard to fundraising, 5-year budget modeling, staffing, member attraction, development, and retention, show content while maintaining the Madison swagger, and tour operation could find a receptive audience. I see a lot of complaining but not a lot of concrete, well-developed, fleshed out plans.

I would be interested in seeing what people with the knowledge, passion, and interest in making substantive change have to offer. It's easy to say something sucks, or the BOD should go away. Unless I've missed it, which is entirely possible, I have yet to see someone, or a cohesive group/slate of candidates put out a well thought out, detailed plan of how to get the corps back to where they want it to be. I for one, would love to see what a group of people that want to clean house have to offer in the way of a step -by-step plan to rebuild.

If such a group is out there with a plan, please point me in the right direction to see it and evaluate it prior to the BOD election this fall.

I like this for any organization. It works best when the nonprofit is good about producing credible annual reports and is otherwise pretty transparent with stakeholders. Otherwise, outsiders looking to become insiders and to participate as credible decision makers have little info of substance to base their proposals on.

Although in that case, one good proposal for change would be to become more transparent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Deb's Diner said:

Someone, anyone, ask me. . I'll run for the BOD!

Please do! Or throw your hat in the ring for ED!

4 hours ago, Gantang said:

"Old folks"? You are insulting everyone who has a different view on how the youth have been taught about gender, which isn't even relevant to this thread, but since you mentioned it, many old folks are concerned about mental illness. Gender dysphoria is recognized as a mental illness in the DSM-V. I just provided you with a fact not an opinion or an emotion. 

No one is bashing the corps members. If people don't like Madison's show, or BD's show, or Academy's show and they voice their opinion it's not bashing; it's opining. I watched the Scouts DCI Central show and I found nothing to cheer about. I also don't like watching baseball. 

The DSM is not the best source for that.  Prior editions listed homosexuality as a disease, and you cannot find that in there anymore.

Transmen and transwomen are not sick or mentally ill.  They are people like you and I.

Also, it is not simply "how the youth have been taught about gender," but also (if not more) about how those who have been oppressed are actually claiming their right to exist.

It is also very much relevant to this thread since it concerns the corps we are discussing, and the membership past, present, and future.

Edited by ndkbass
spelling/tense
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

The DSM is not the best source for that.  Prior editions listed homosexuality as a disease, and you cannot find that in there anymore.

Transmen and transwomen are not sick or mentally ill.  They are people like you and I.

Also, it is not simply "how the youth have been taught about gender," but also (if not more) about how those who have been oppressed are actually claiming their right to exist.

It is also very much relevant to this thread since it concerns the corps we are discussing, and the membership past, present, and future.

What???

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gantang said:

"Old folks"? You are insulting everyone who has a different view on how the youth have been taught about gender, which isn't even relevant to this thread, but since you mentioned it, many old folks are concerned about mental illness. Gender dysphoria is recognized as a mental illness in the DSM-V. I just provided you with a fact not an opinion or an emotion. 

No one is bashing the corps members. If people don't like Madison's show, or BD's show, or Academy's show and they voice their opinion it's not bashing; it's opining. I watched the Scouts DCI Central show and I found nothing to cheer about. I also don't like watching baseball. 

Gender dysphoria is recognized as a disorder not a mental illness. Big difference!

54 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

You're right, the DSM no longer lists homosexuality and there is a similar move to remove pedophilia from the next edition (b4uact.org) but I stated a fact that cannot be disputed.

There are still many psychiatrists who believe that Gender Dysphoria is a mental illness and that many young people are being taught things that are dangerous to their own mental well-being. The debate on whether is should be removed from the next edition is ongoing because there hasn't been longitudinal studies of enough patients to get firm data. There have many reports of transgender regret from doctors around the world, which is one of the reason the APA is reluctant to remove GD as a disease.

This is why I stated that many older people are concerned about mental illness. The current generation of kids have been diagnosed and treated for more mental illnesses than any generation before them. Coping mechanisms have been replaced with drugs and therapy. I'm as concerned about misdiagnoses of depression as I am GD. 

My point to the OP was that you can't "view" something that is scientifically based differently just because you want to. You may think Facebook is correct in stating that there are 58 genders, but the science doesn't support that notion, nor does DNA, or the medical society.

Edited by Gantang

2 minutes ago, Gantang said:

You're right, the DSM no longer lists homosexuality and there is a similar move to remove pedophilia from the next edition (b4uact.org) but I stated a fact that cannot be disputed.

There are still many psychiatrists who believe that Gender Dysmorphia is a mental illness and that many young people are being taught things that are dangerous to their own mental well-being. The debate on whether is should be removed from the next edition is ongoing because there hasn't been longitudinal studies of enough patients to get firm data. There have many reports of transgender regret from doctors around the world, which is one of the reason the APA is reluctant to remove GD as a disease.

This is why I stated that many older people are concerned about mental illness. The current generation of kids have been diagnosed and treated for more mental illnesses than any generation before them. Coping mechanisms have been replaced with drugs and therapy. I'm as concerned about misdiagnoses of depression as I am GD. 

My point to the OP was that you can't "view" something that is scientifically based differently just because you want to. You may think Facebook is correct in stating that there are 58 genders, but the science doesn't support that notion, nor does DNA, or the medical society.

Yeah, I'm just going to slap a big one of these on this whole post, if you don't mind...

wikipedian_protester.png

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Gender dysphoria is recognized as a disorder not a mental illness. Big difference!

I hope you're joking. The two terms are interchangeable in medicine.

2 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Yeah, I'm just going to slap a big one of these on this whole post, if you don't mind...

wikipedian_protester.png

Which part do you want cited?