2019 Madison Scouts!

Just now, endy29 said:

Hmmm.  I believe neither is eligible to run for a board seat.  I highly doubt they are association members?

Well if you insist upon throwing up capricious roadblocks.....

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Well, this thread never disappoints. I just had to look up DSM. Now can I please return to my objections to the BOD and ED?  Also, I nominate Deb’s Diner and NDKBASS as two new BOD members. A two generational family duo. Anybody who runs the food truck can have any position they want. 

I appreciate the support!

I would certainly be interested, and think that being able to manage a cook truck certainly helps make one aware of how to run a corps, but I am currently focused on finding gainful employment so that I can manage student loans and other day-to-day expenses.  Additionally, I do not reside near the Midwest, so that makes it hard to participate in person (even though many activities can be done by proxy).  I would definitely be interested if I end up closer, and secure tenure-track employment since that would vastly increase my financial means.  A few positions I am applying to for the upcoming cycle would provide such an opportunity, and would make it easier to consider such an undertaking.

I do know that others from my years would do as good a job if not better, especially since some of them are already band directors and what not.  And I would love to recommend them, but would not speak on their behalf.

7 minutes ago, endy29 said:

Hmmm.  I believe neither is eligible to run for a board seat.  I highly doubt they are association members?

I do not believe I currently am, but I would certainly become one if necessary (which it is last I checked) and when the means are available.  I cannot speak for Deb's Diner.

I am generally out of the loop because I have not used Facebook since 2011, so I miss out on a lot of the alumni news (or pre-release of news).  Not interested in Facebook.  That company is gross.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Well if you insist upon throwing up capricious roadblocks.....

You do not need to be an association member to be hired as ED though, right? HAH!!!

29 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

For sure. I think scholars in Queer Studies, and other related fields and sub fields, do a much better job articulating these issues than the DSM or psychiatrists do.

Thought you were just bringing up that DSM changed their mind... or do I have them confused with AMA. Hell doctors have a hard enough time agreeing on physical issues let alone things they cannot see. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

11 hours ago, ndkbass said:

Transmen and transwomen are not sick or mentally ill.  They are people like you and I.

41% of transgendered men/women attempt suicide at some point in their lives, more than 25 times the rate of the general population, which is 1.6 percent. And among trans people ages 18-44, the suicide attempt rate was 45 percent.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

41% of transgendered men/women attempt suicide at some point in their lives, more than 25 times the rate of the general population, which is 1.6 percent. And among trans people ages 18-44, the suicide attempt rate was 45 percent.

Absolutely true, but research reveals the obvious conclusion that points away from what you think it implies: the sky high suicide rates exist because they are rejected by family, friends, and society at large. The suicide rate for LGBT youth goes down drastically in schools with gay-straight alliances, transgender acceptance organizations, and anti-discrimination policies that cover sexual orientation and gender identity. Never underestimate the role parents, churches, and family members play in abandoning or forcing LGBT youth out of their homes or communities and the tie in that has to high suicide rates. It's such a common part of life for most (especially the "T" part nowadays) that there are even multiple well-known, huge non-profits (The Trevor Project, It Gets Better Project, etc) who specifically deal with LGBT youth who have been rejected by their families or communities. So, correlation doesn't equal causation --- high suicide rates are not a sign that any kids who identify as LGBT are inherently mentally ill, especially when looking at the immediately clear reasons for the high suicide rates in the community.

• Like 7

On 8/9/2018 at 7:07 PM, contrajedi8 said:

Every year, without fail, the Madison Scouts thread turns into an out-of-control dumpster fire. Can't you wait until the previous years dumpster fire is reduced to ashes?

It's only compounded by the fact that the chickens have come home to roost, competitively speaking.

The fourth post in this thread. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ndkbass said:

I do not believe I currently am, but I would certainly become one if necessary (which it is last I checked) and when the means are available.  I cannot speak for Deb's Diner.

I am generally out of the loop because I have not used Facebook since 2011, so I miss out on a lot of the alumni news (or pre-release of news).  Not interested in Facebook.  That company is gross.

Update: I will shortly be a member of the association in good standing (once dues payment is completely processed), and will thus be able to vote or eligible to sit on the Board.  I am not necessarily interested in serving on the board at the moment due to other day-to-day commitments.  I do not mind proxy stuff, but I like to be in person for discussion purposes.

8 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Absolutely true, but research reveals the obvious conclusion that points away from what you think it implies: the sky high suicide rates exist because they are rejected by family, friends, and society at large. The suicide rate for LGBT youth goes down drastically in schools with gay-straight alliances, transgender acceptance organizations, and anti-discrimination policies that cover sexual orientation and gender identity. Never underestimate the role parents, churches, and family members play in abandoning or forcing LGBT youth out of their homes or communities and the tie in that has to high suicide rates. It's such a common part of life for most (especially the "T" part nowadays) that there are even multiple well-known, huge non-profits (The Trevor Project, It Gets Better Project, etc) who specifically deal with LGBT youth who have been rejected by their families or communities. So, correlation doesn't equal causation --- high suicide rates are not a sign that any kids who identify as LGBT are inherently mentally ill, especially when looking at the immediately clear reasons for the high suicide rates in the community.

Exactly!  Durkheim (who is generally understood as the "father" of sociology) basically said something similar with his original study of suicide from way, way back (it is almost always about social ties).  This is also why I trust Queer Studies scholars more so than the DSM, etc..  They do a terrific job of highlighting the issues you raised, and provide great ways to challenge them so that we can improve the life of those individuals and make all of our communities better for everyone.

Edited by ndkbass
added a comma