2019 Madison Scouts!

16 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thought you were just bringing up that DSM changed their mind... or do I have them confused with AMA. Hell doctors have a hard enough time agreeing on physical issues let alone things they cannot see. 

I was showing that the DSM (and the APA) are not the best source when it comes to understanding issues related to queer folk in part because they have had to update their guidelines and standards.  I was also implying that this is also because of the methodologies they use or engage in.  Which is not entirely dismissive of either.  Rather, it is a good thing, and shows that they are a field evolving and that it is one that is full of self-reflexive scholars.

Moreover, I was trying to show that scholars who expressly study those communities (and are often themselves members of those communities) do a better job of understanding and explaining the historical and contemporary issues (generally speaking, this falls under the rubric of Queer Studies, although other scholars in other fields, like myself, certainly engage with these topics and communities in their research and teaching).

This does not mean that all parts of the DSM are invalid, or that all psychiatrists are bad practitioners.  Although, I do have many issues with psychoanalysis as a methodology (especially as it is applied outside of clinical psychiatry), and am in no way shape or form a fan of Freud.  John Levi Martin does an excellent job unpacking some of Freud's major methodological issues in his 2014 text The Explanation of Social Action.  If you delve into it, be sure to read all the footnotes.  They are, to a degree, better than his actual text.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

Update: I will shortly be a member of the association in good standing (once dues payment is completely processed), and will thus be able to vote or eligible to sit on the Board.  I am not necessarily interested in serving on the board at the moment due to other day-to-day commitments.  I do not mind proxy stuff, but I like to be in person for discussion purposes.

Awesome, I look forward to meeting you in November. I am Roark Haver, and I marched in the Jr Scouts and Scouts in the 70s.

5 minutes ago, Roark1 said:

Awesome, I look forward to meeting you in November. I am Roark Haver, and I marched in the Jr Scouts and Scouts in the 70s.

Likewise.

As the Corps left the tunnel tonight at Prelims, a gong and two microphones were left in the tunnel.  I've got screen captures of a woman in a blue shirt (stadium staff) walking off with the items.  Please advise Corps staff.  Respond, if necessary, to:  lambertsont@bellsouth.net

2 minutes ago, ThomVBFL said:

As the Corps left the tunnel tonight at Prelims, a gong and two microphones were left in the tunnel.  I've got screen captures of a woman in a blue shirt (stadium staff) walking off with the items.  Please advise Corps staff.  Respond, if necessary, to:  lambertsont@bellsouth.net

Call me old fashioned, CK would call me a dinosaur, but equipment for the show shouldn't be left in the tunnel. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, ThomVBFL said:

Thanks for saying something!

3 hours ago, ThomVBFL said:

They should have left CK & DP in the tunnel. Hopefully Friday is the last time that the Madison Scouts follow them. 

Edited by FlamMan
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

They should have left CK & DP in the tunnel. Hopefully Friday is the last time that the Madison Scouts follow them. 

Not likely. CK is currently under contract for 2.5 more years, and I don’t think the votes are there with the board to do the right thing. I’m 100% confident in my statement. Message if you wants the details.

5 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Not likely. CK is currently under contract for 2.5 more years, and I don’t think the votes are there with the board to do the right thing. I’m 100% confident in my statement. Message if you wants the details.

What a joke. The worst thing an organization can do us contnue with failed leaders. Successful organizations fire unsuccessful leaders. Hopefully the Madidon Scouts survive this.

I started on the last page (174) hoping to get an update, or insider information, on how Madison is doing this year.  Always liked and respected their organization.  How many pages back do I need to go to actually find out?