Prsmpower4

2019 Madison Scouts!

Recommended Posts

On 9/4/2018 at 2:53 PM, tesmusic said:

Why don't you do the research for yourself, you'll find it out there.

Well, spent about thirty minutes looking through BOA recaps, WGI recaps, and Texas UIL recaps from the past ten years. Not all of them mind you. No, no sign of Mr. Elvord anywhere. Did not need to spend this time on something I already knew, but I thought "what the hell". My point is not to discredit him as someone who has contributed to the activity in some positive way. My point is to question the Scout's on making this hire if Mr. Elvord has little to no design success or consistent judging track record that would at least place him in the middle of the current activity's goings on.  And let's admit that being a judge does not make you a successful designer. I can buy that this hire was made to try to placate Alumni that somehow think the Scouts can only be improved by a Scout. Don't just tell me this is a good hire. Have some evidence to back this claim. The corps has a lot of work to do not only in design, but recruiting, building new fans, etc. Staff change announcements should entice new members, add positive associations that someone in charge understands that the corps' way forward is through two main components, quality of design and instruction, and money. I see no evidence that in 2019, Mr. Elvord can produce any of these things. Go Scouts. All my best wishes to you as you find your way forward. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, derbydawg said:

Well, spent about thirty minutes looking through BOA recaps, WGI recaps, and Texas UIL recaps from the past ten years. Not all of them mind you. No, no sign of Mr. Elvord anywhere. Did not need to spend this time on something I already knew, but I thought "what the hell". My point is not to discredit him as someone who has contributed to the activity in some positive way. My point is to question the Scout's on making this hire if Mr. Elvord has little to no design success or consistent judging track record that would at least place him in the middle of the current activity's goings on.  And let's admit that being a judge does not make you a successful designer. I can buy that this hire was made to try to placate Alumni that somehow think the Scouts can only be improved by a Scout. Don't just tell me this is a good hire. Have some evidence to back this claim. The corps has a lot of work to do not only in design, but recruiting, building new fans, etc. Staff change announcements should entice new members, add positive associations that someone in charge understands that the corps' way forward is through two main components, quality of design and instruction, and money. I see no evidence that in 2019, Mr. Elvord can produce any of these things. Go Scouts. All my best wishes to you as you find your way forward. 

Agreed. I'm not understanding this hire, but I guess we'll just have to see how it turns out. 

Right now, it just seems like a move by the executives to appease the rabid portion of their alumni base

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

 

Right now, it just seems like a move by the executives to appease the rabid portion of their alumni base

 Yours seems like a single minded, narrow assessment to me. Seems like the hire was made on the basis of his experience and perceived abilities, and with the hope he can produce quality, entertaining shows that will please fans and judges alike, and can bring back alumni donations too in the process. I don't believe this hire was made solely on the basis to " appease " Alums... any portion of them. If so,  Dann and Chris and the BOD could have accomplished this Alums " appeasement " well before the Corps slipped to 16th place with shows few judges nor Drum Corps fans much cared for compared to earlier shows from the Madison Scouts..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

 Yours seems like a single minded, narrow assessment to me. Seems like the hire was made on the basis of his experience, and with the hope he can produce quality, entertaining shows that will please fans and judges alike, and can bring back alumni donations too in the process. I don't believe this hire was made to solely " appease " Alums. If so,  Dann and Chris and the BOD could have accomplished this " appeasement " well before the Corps slipped to 16th place with shows few judges nor Drum Corps fans much cared for compared to earlier shows from the Madison Scouts..

 

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Agreed. I'm not understanding this hire, but I guess we'll just have to see how it turns out. 

Right now, it just seems like a move by the executives to appease the rabid portion of their alumni base

Yah, more likely that the capybaras would turn rabid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGbccXry-rc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Agreed. I'm not understanding this hire, but I guess we'll just have to see how it turns out. 

Right now, it just seems like a move by the executives to appease the rabid portion of their alumni base

The Meh-adison Scouts?  I'm awaiting the announcement that Chris Komnick is no longer the ED. Until that happens we're just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. In my opinion.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

The Meh-adison Scouts?  I'm awaiting the announcement that Chris Komnick is no longer the ED. Until that happens we're just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. In my opinion.  

Yep! This. If you've got a sinking ship and it's your crew that's sinking that ship, you replace the crew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, WarriorHal said:

Given the overall crowd responses to those shows -- people literally leaping out of their seats -- there is usually an exception to the rule, and in this case you are it.

I was in the 24th row, 50 in Buffalo. A good portion of the crowd did get up. many also got up because thats just what you do when a corps is done. 

 

Sure they can resurect MalagaguenaAmisAbuelosSuperstar again if they wish. But if they do, they have to do it in a way that works for how the game is today. just rehashing the past isnt going to work, look at Superstar2

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BRASSO said:

 Yours seems like a single minded, narrow assessment to me. Seems like the hire was made on the basis of his experience and perceived abilities, and with the hope he can produce quality, entertaining shows that will please fans and judges alike, and can bring back alumni donations too in the process. I don't believe this hire was made solely on the basis to " appease " Alums... any portion of them. If so,  Dann and Chris and the BOD could have accomplished this Alums " appeasement " well before the Corps slipped to 16th place with shows few judges nor Drum Corps fans much cared for compared to earlier shows from the Madison Scouts..

What experience?? This has been gone over many times, when it comes to design, there isnt much there to look at. 

Where in his resume does it show he understands modern drum corps design? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

What experience?? This has been gone over many times, when it comes to design, there isnt much there to look at. 

Where in his resume does it show he understands modern drum corps design? 

Nowhere. But hey. Whatever. Whoopee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

What experience?? This has been gone over many times, when it comes to design, there isnt much there to look at. 

Where in his resume does it show he understands modern drum corps design? 

Where in the announcement does it say he's designing the show or is program coordinator? 

Hes listed as artistic director and staff coordinator, but yeah, you're right, that means he has no connection to modern drum corps and will be designing all aspects of the show. 

I have it on great authority that he's decided the show will be show #1 from 1976. 

Do you put this much scrutiny into the staff choices of all corps, or do you just like to assume the worst? 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.