2019 Madison Scouts!

Finally saw a video of them and... It's actually not bad! The end of the opener and YPG are highlights for me. Really wish they did a better job of arranging the Bon Iver tune, though (that's a quip I have about quite a few ballads over the last few years, but we can save that for another thread).

Also, did they cut Spinning Wheel from the repertoire? It was hard to tell from the video, as the uploader cut the beginning of the closer.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

5 hours ago, HolyNOLA said:

....but they don't jazz run for 4 counts, then march for 4 counts, then jazz run some more. Not difficult. Just a bunch of tricks.

Seriously though, it's just different. I'm for seeing something visual that fits the theme, and that show sure did that.

3 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Finally saw a video of them and... It's actually not bad! The end of the opener and YPG are highlights for me. Really wish they did a better job of arranging the Bon Iver tune, though (that's a quip I have about quite a few ballads over the last few years, but we can save that for another thread).

Also, did they cut Spinning Wheel from the repertoire? It was hard to tell from the video, as the uploader cut the beginning of the closer.

I agree about the end of the opener- those rapidly collapsing boxes are super cool!  Probably my favorite dril moment of any I have seen this year.  When I saw Scouts live the crowd went nuts for the end of the opener.  Scouts had the best reaction aside from Bluecoats.  I know everyone is slagging their show for being behind the times but honestly the old school moments got WAY more crowd reaction than the over-emoting/body sculpting/prop climbing stuff most others were doing.  I hope Scouts continue to add more blistering drill- keep it coming, Scouts!  Move fast, play loud, toss high!

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, Guitar1974 said:

I know everyone is slagging their show for being behind the times but honestly the old school moments got WAY more crowd reaction than the over-emoting/body sculpting/prop climbing stuff most others were doing.  I hope Scouts continue to add more blistering drill- keep it coming, Scouts!  Move fast, play loud, toss high!

I am extremely pleased that the Madison Scouts are playing to the audience.  I wish more corps would do this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DUDE! I'd just like to say that this 2019 show is the type that made me fall in love with the Scouts back in the 90s.  

Design determines the placement, but honestly, placement doesn't dictate my tastes.  I'm so loving this show, man.  

I will be buying a souvie from Madison this year.  🙂 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Guitar1974 said:

I agree about the end of the opener- those rapidly collapsing boxes are super cool!  Probably my favorite dril moment of any I have seen this year.  When I saw Scouts live the crowd went nuts for the end of the opener.  Scouts had the best reaction aside from Bluecoats.  I know everyone is slagging their show for being behind the times but honestly the old school moments got WAY more crowd reaction than the over-emoting/body sculpting/prop climbing stuff most others were doing.  I hope Scouts continue to add more blistering drill- keep it coming, Scouts!  Move fast, play loud, toss high!

I think they call that move “The Meat Grinder”. 

• Like 1

I like the show a lot this year.  All the corps are good these days.  13th, 16th, 19th, whatever, nothing to hang one's head over.  Everyone can't win.  They are doing a great job with what they have.  I am sad they are going coed, I don't think 2 all-male corps is too many.  Just like there is room for lots of styles of music, movement, costumes, etc, there should be room for all-male, all-female, coed.  It isn't the end of my world, doesn't diminish what I/we had back in the day, times change that is cool.  But still a bit sad and I don't see that it was necessary.   But I will still support and have a fond place for the corps going forward.  

• Like 2

It pains me that they are finishing last in almost every contest this year. Nothing against the members because they are doing everything they are told to do but maybe it’s time to look at who is driving the bus and make some changes. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tupac said:

It pains me that they are finishing last in almost every contest this year. Nothing against the members because they are doing everything they are told to do but maybe it’s time to look at who is driving the bus and make some changes. 

Its very sad. 3 points behind Academy tonight. Music City might catch Madison! Firing CK, DP and the rest of the failed Scout leaders is very long overdue. The coed move is just a ploy to cast this regime as social justice champions who are woke. Frankly it is sickening. This regime is completely incompetent. Shame on the BOD. I wonder what a drum corp legend like Jim Elvord thinks about this mess?