2019 Madison Scouts!

21 hours ago, Algernon said:

raise money, lots of it

Yup. Most of the top 8 corps are spending $150-200k per year on creative staff alone (not including techs and caption heads). If Madison wants a design team that would allow them to play in that range again, they have to be prepared to spend that kind of money, and it's going to have to come from their alums. 

So those Madison alums on here saying "fire the Exec Director", cool, go with it, but be prepared to whip out your credit cards or check books and make some investment in staff if you're really serious about playing in the big leagues again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

So those Madison alums on here saying "fire the Exec Director", cool, go with it, but be prepared to whip out your credit cards or check books and make some investment in staff if you're really serious about playing in the big leagues again. 

I expect that Madison's alumni donations will be much lower after July 7 and the poor competitive results. As with most demographics, the older you get the more disposable income you have. Choosing charities becomes more important the more money you have to give. People Give when they are emotionally attached to a Cause and when they know that their dollars will be used wisely and productively. From reading some comments in various places it appears that the July 7 decision has burned a lot of bridges between the alums and the current Corps. 

Sorry fellas. You are setting yourself up for more frustration if you think the Scouts have a chance to move up a few spots. I would not be surprised if Troopers over take them by championships. If you like older type shows, you certainly can find things here to enjoy.  I would rather hear them play a few of their tunes in a concert arc than watch the show. It seems that after their opener, you know, thirty minutes into their show, I just can'y watch any more. I find the show offers nothing new, interesting, innovative, unique in a way that holds my interest. Troopers do not have these things in spades either, but they do have some of these components in their show. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, westcoastblue said:

I would not be surprised if Troopers over take them by championships. 

I actually would be surprised if that happened. Troopers are achieving about what they can with the loaf of white bread they were given, where Scouts have significantly more room to develop what they've got. It's still not a particularly great show, but more engaging than Troop, which will help them keep some spread in GE down the road.

On 7/15/2019 at 5:55 PM, Daave said:

Most non-finalist corps are, I would imagine.  

I’ve said this countless times and it had NEVER been more true than today. On day 1 of spring training, there are at most six corps that have a realistic chance to win a medal. We know who they are. It is the nature of the unique design of DCI.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tupac said:

The best analogy that I’ve heard about bringing James Elvord back was, it would be like bringing Vince Lombardi back to coach in today’s NFL. 

it was also a terrible signal for recruiting. No disrespect to Elvord, who was a force to be reckoned with back in the day, but "the day" no longer exists, and to tell prospective members the the team who'll come up with the show is a collection of people who haven't played at the top levels in DCI in two decades was a really bad move.

Madison's future growth should be handed over to a group of 20 and 30-somethings who are not well known but who have everything to gain by proving themselves.  Cavaliers did that with their brass team a few years ago and it's starting to pay off. Go thee and do likewise.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tupac said:

The best analogy that I’ve heard about bringing James Elvord back was, it would be like bringing Vince Lombardi back to coach in today’s NFL. 

Lombardi’s first words to the team:  “Gentlemen, This......is a football.”

To which Max McGee allegedly replied:  “Coach, can you slow down?”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tupac said:

Vince Lombardi won multiple championships.

Has Madison ever not broke 80 at season end? They have gained only 10 points since the first show and need 7 more to break 80 in the last 3 weeks. Dont see it happening.