2019 Madison Scouts!

3 hours ago, swmstom said:

The difference is Scouts are former World Champs, perennial Top 6 and one of the biggest, baddest corps in DCI. They were a destination corps, not a feeder. 

So were Troopers.

They were one of the most popular corps out there...and this wasn't THAT long ago in the big scheme of DCI history. 

Perennial top 6 ended in 1999.  Most current MMs were not born yet.  Not that long ago?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

So were Troopers.

Perennial top 6 ended in 1999.  Most current MMs were not born yet.  Not that long ago?

For reference, this is DCI's 48th competitive season. Madison's consistent-top-6 period ended in the 28th season. We're getting awfully close to half of DCI's history that they haven't been contenders.

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

So were Troopers.

Troopers were great in the 60s BEFORE DCI. They were still an elite corps 1972-74, but never won DCI. They barely made finals in 1975 thanks to whoever turned in the Muchachos, and then became a perennial non-finalist, making finals only five times since then.  So no, their place in drum corps history -- especially since 1972 --  doesn't compare to the Scouts.

As a 10 year-old, I watched the Troopers win the 1965 World Open. 1999 seems like about 10 minutes ago to me. It's a matter of life experience & historical perspective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

If we are going to take scores from different contests out of context, then the Hawthorne Caballeros are also ahead of Madison. 

different scoring system for Cabs. flag on the play, illegal use of flawed analogy, 10 yards, loss of down

4 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

Well, their last stretch of "Top 6" ended in 1999.  Which is 20 years ago, right?  Many (most) MMs today were, if born, still in diapers.  If that is your criteria as a destination corps, then its one hellofava long time ago. Since 1999, they have placed 6th once, and 12 years (plus this year) they have been in the double digits.  They do have a grand tradition, as do many of the corps, but tradition does not equate with excellence.  

If the alumni are Mad(ison) (sorry, could not help myself), they need to band together (should be something they know about) and do something.  Raise (a lot of) money.  Volunteer. Work along side of the management and help them.  Join the board. Tour with them and encourage the MMs. Lots of things to do.  But carping on a discussion board does not do the trick.

well #### you're no fun

3 hours ago, swmstom said:

1999 was a good ways back, but that's why I said in the big scheme of DCI history. If we're talking 1960s or 70s..then sure. But 1999 wasn't THAT long ago.

As for other corps, I'm not saying they should just be satisfied with where they're at. But the reality is those corps, with the exception of Troopers to an extent, don't have the history of success as Scouts. 

But frankly, I don't care what expectations are for corps X, Y or Z. As an alum of Scouts I expect them to be a consistent Top 12 group and hope for even better. I expect them to be a corps that younger marchers dream of being a part of. I expect them to be a corps with an average age of 19 or 20. I expect them to be a corps that challenges the other upper echelon.

1999 was 20 years ago. my hunch is half the corps was born that year

2 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Exactly.

Madison has already won the off season and the season hasn’t even ended yet.  Looking forward to what the new Scouts bring. I truly believe they will be the next “hot” corps - providing management and staff can take advantage of the opportunity. Make no mistake, they have a HUGE opportunity to return to competitive relavency.

Madison has already won the off season??? Please explain. This is the worst time in the history of the Madison Scouts.

8 hours ago, FlamMan said:

How and why in the world would Madisons BOD give CK a 2.5 year contract extension??? Seriously???

Because they are a rubber stamp for the executive director. No surprise at all. This is why the BOD AND the ED must go. 

8 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Exactly.

Madison has already won the off season and the season hasn’t even ended yet.  Looking forward to what the new Scouts bring. I truly believe they will be the next “hot” corps - providing management and staff can take advantage of the opportunity. Make no mistake, they have a HUGE opportunity to return to competitive relavency.

I’ll take that bet. .....and yet I hope somehow you turn out to be right. 

Edited by HockeyDad

8 hours ago, WarriorHal said:

Troopers were great in the 60s BEFORE DCI. They were still an elite corps 1972-74, but never won DCI. They barely made finals in 1975 thanks to whoever turned in the Muchachos, and then became a perennial non-finalist, making finals only five times since then.  So no, their place in drum corps history -- especially since 1972 --  doesn't compare to the Scouts.

The phrase used was "perennial top 6".  Troopers were perennially top 6 from 1965 through 1974, a full decade.