Prsmpower4

2019 Madison Scouts!

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, WarriorHal said:

Interesting post by Chuck Naffier on a Scouts FB fan page giving his take on what has gone on this summer. He says the members of the 2019 Scouts have great enthusiasm but "very little experience," and describes the undertaking as a "complete rebuild."

He says the strategy was to put together a crowd pleasing show at the expense of "playing the game this first year" because that should pay off in retention. Getting the young members to return is the key, and "kids come back for staffs who come back in this era." He acknowledges that upgrades are needed in many areas and says the approach to programming in 2020 will be different.

The first step was letting applause "wash over the guys, and building an appetite" for that kind of crowd reaction. He says there will be a larger recruiting pool next season and the corps will perform better. It took more than one year to reach this point and there are "no magic bullets."
 

Going forward, he says the priority is to "teach and retain so we never have to start at such an elementary level again - which translates into more advanced show design, which fuels the cycle of success." 

So the good news is that the staff does seem to have a plan. But with 2019 being step one in a total rebuild, that raises the obvious question of how the hell did top management allow a long-time powerhouse like the Madison Scouts to get into this predicament?



 

Great information!   

My plea to everyone is can we wait until the offseason to get in to the nuts and bolts of the issues and future ?  We have a nice 9 month period to discuss. Let’s please get the focus back on the current corps and get behind and support these awesome members, staff and volunteers!!   😊

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Great information!   

My plea to everyone is can we wait until the offseason to get in to the nuts and bolts of the issues and future ?  We have a nice 9 month period to discuss. Let’s please get the focus back on the current corps and get behind and support these awesome members, staff and volunteers!!   😊

I usually don’t jump in to another corps thread, but like many posters, there is a curiosity about Madison.  That said, I disagree about waiting and discussing Madison’s future over the next 9 months.  The time is now to plan the future.  This year for all intents and purposes is done.  The immediate short term focus is performance though Indy.  Many top corps are already looking forward and will depart Indy with an outline and timetable in place for next year.  Madison’s future should be planned by the end of September, not 9 months later.  Just my $.02.  Best of luck going forward.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I usually don’t jump in to another corps thread, but like many posters, there is a curiosity about Madison.  That said, I disagree about waiting and discussing Madison’s future over the next 9 months.  The time is now to plan the future.  This year for all intents and purposes is done.  The immediate short term focus is performance though Indy.  Many top corps are already looking forward and will depart Indy with an outline and timetable in place for next year.  Madison’s future should be planned by the end of September, not 9 months later.  Just my $.02.  Best of luck going forward.

I hear what you are saying but what control do you or I as fans have with making and shaping the future for any corps?  Also can you stare in the eyes of a current member or volunteer who are working hard everyday to have a great rest of the season and. Tell them  We are more concerned about the future and not focused on your current efforts?  

Simple solution to this create new topic for

” Madison Scouts Future “   And help with refocusing this 2019 Scouts thread to the current people in the corps!  

Edited by Triple Forte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

I hear what you are saying but what control do you or I as fans have with making and shaping the future for any corps?  Also can you stare in the eyes of a current member or volunteer who are working hard everyday to have a great rest of the season and. Tell them  We are more concerned about the future and not focused on your current efforts?  

Simple solution to this create new topic for

” Madison Scouts Future “   And help with refocusing this 2019 Scouts thread to the current people in the corps!  

I never said we are not concerned about the current efforts.  But realistically there is nothing any of us can do about this over the next 2 weeks.  What i am saying is the organization needs to be planning their future NOW.  As a fan, it is not my place to seek control or to tell an organization how to shape their future.  That's not the role of a fan.

Can stare in the eyes of anyone in an organization and wish them well and tell them I support what they do daily, you bet I can.   I am talking bout your statement about discussing the future over the next 9 months. Action is needed over most of those 9 months.

Madison leadership has work to do and I am sure they will do what is necessary.  As a fan I can only watch.  If I want to shape the future, I'd step up and offer to help and be more than a fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WarriorHal said:

Interesting post by Chuck Naffier on a Scouts FB fan page giving his take on what has gone on this summer. He says the members of the 2019 Scouts have great enthusiasm but "very little experience," and describes the undertaking as a "complete rebuild."

He says the strategy was to put together a crowd pleasing show at the expense of "playing the game this first year" because that should pay off in retention. Getting the young members to return is the key, and "kids come back for staffs who come back in this era." He acknowledges that upgrades are needed in many areas and says the approach to programming in 2020 will be different.

The first step was letting applause "wash over the guys, and building an appetite" for that kind of crowd reaction. He says there will be a larger recruiting pool next season and the corps will perform better. It took more than one year to reach this point and there are "no magic bullets."
 

Going forward, he says the priority is to "teach and retain so we never have to start at such an elementary level again - which translates into more advanced show design, which fuels the cycle of success." 

So the good news is that the staff does seem to have a plan. But with 2019 being step one in a total rebuild, that raises the obvious question of how the hell did top management allow a long-time powerhouse like the Madison Scouts to get into this predicament?



 

staff needs to be allowed to do so. however there may be a lot of rebuild next year with the inclusion of females.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting that this year is being characterized as such a rebuilding year. I get that there could be some attrition after last year's show, but they were a finalist in 2017! And 7 of the last 9 years!

In Chuck I Trust, but I'm surprised they'd take such a drastic design philosophy just to retain members (while dropping several spots competitively). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

staff needs to be allowed to do so. however there may be a lot of rebuild next year with the inclusion of females.

My hope is with the inclusion of females next year that they raise the average age of the potential incoming members to at least 19 or 19.5 as much as possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

I never said we are not concerned about the current efforts.  But realistically there is nothing any of us can do about this over the next 2 weeks. 

Can stare in the eyes of anyone in an organization and wish them well and tell them I support what they do daily, you bet I can. 

 There is something we can do as fans over the next two weeks and that is to return this topic to discussing the current corps members,  staff and volunteers and support their efforts as they head into Indy this season  that’s what we can do.

I am not saying we shouldn’t talk about issues that are facing Madison all I’m saying is that it should be done in a separate thread/topic     not here !! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Wait...I didn't read all of the posts in this thread...but did you say that your Mom was the Madison Scouts food director, and that SCV recruited her to leave Madison for SCV? That is just crazy, and something that I would never have thought possible.     SCV STOLE THE MADISON SCOUTS HEAD CHEF!!!

She was asked to resign from Madison by the admin staff at the end of May camp almost right after the corps presented her and other moms with mother's day flowers at the end of rehearsal.  I am not kidding when I say that.

She did not tour in 2009, only attended shows and screamed/clapped like any parent will often do.

In 2010 she started volunteering/working for SCV as their head cook, and continued to do so for a few years beyond that.  So SCV did not really "steal" her away.  They just knew she was no longer working for Scouts and offered her the position, which she accepted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Your mother was INDEED the best I've ever seen at running a food operation for a corps.  The "Men of Madison" we so fortunate to have her.  She took care of them as if they were all her sons...and I know because one of them was my son.  Hall of Fame worthy!

Thanks for saying that. I really appreciate it, and I know she does, too!  I will be sure to share your kind words with her!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.