2019 Madison Scouts!

2 hours ago, Nine White Russians said:

I remember reading something from Board President Greg Auby that any talk/plans of going coed would be shelved until after the 2019 season. 

Oh, ok.. had not heard that.. thanks for that update!

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

Watching this and someone marking him as an accomplished jazz composer/arranger have me thinking Madison is going jazz again (yay!).  Particularly after seeing Bloo and BD get rewarded on the modern sheets and throwing the assumption that "the risk involved in marching jazz doesn't get rewarded" right out the window.  

I would say Madison is getting someone who they can build this style with into the future, which seems like some good long term planning rather than 'omg we missed finals, fix it with a bandaid and squeak back in.'   It could also be a product of many of the current crop of 'big name' arrangers who are available and within Madison's means aren't a good fit for this style as the trend for DCI shows has been away from this sort of hot swing jazz.  

If Madison can come out hot with something like this SoundSport group has done, I'm gonna be all over it and I can imagine a number of others will be too.  

• Haha 1

as a resident of Madison this bothered me: So in the 2018 show the “drivetime radio station” is KMAD... but KMAD is a radio station in Oklahoma... they should have had a real Madison radio station... but corps have no connection to their homes anymore

Is CK still employed my the Scouts? Why? Can you imagine his performance appraisal? Ouch. He should have been put on a PIP a few years ago & terminated by now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Is CK still employed my the Scouts? Why? Can you imagine his performance appraisal? Ouch. He should have been put on a PIP a few years ago & terminated by now.

It appears he and DP are still firmly ensconced in the organization. Head scratcher. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

It appears he and DP are still firmly ensconced in the organization. Head scratcher. 

well, if they are looking for a change, remember, qualified directors don't grow on trees

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Out of curiosity, should every other corps who didn't make Finals this year be firing their leadership too?  Is that the only metric of success?

The ED doesn't choose the program design, the program design team does, and all of those people from 2018 ARE gone, replaced by a bunch of 1970s/80s drum corps people (that should make the alums happy...until it doesn't) and a few promising 20-somethings joining the team. It's an unusual approach, but not a predictable one, and for that, the ED and CD probably deserve at least a little leeway in order for their hiring decisions to play out.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well, if they are looking for a change, remember, qualified directors don't grow on trees

Not sure what you mean. Don't make a change, because the devil you don't know could end up being worse than the one you do know?  That kind of timidity is not a formula for success. Just because posters on DCP can't spit out a list of excellent people who would be outstanding replacements doesn't mean there aren't any. C'mon. 

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

Out of curiosity, should every other corps who didn't make Finals this year be firing their leadership too?  Is that the only metric of success?

The ED doesn't choose the program design, the program design team does, and all of those people from 2018 ARE gone, replaced by a bunch of 1970s/80s drum corps people (that should make the alums happy...until it doesn't) and a few promising 20-somethings joining the team. It's an unusual approach, but not a predictable one, and for that, the ED and CD probably deserve at least a little leeway in order for their hiring decisions to play out.

Is "this year" the only year the Scouts haven't made finals under this leadership team?  That would be a "no".    How many chances should they get?

4 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Is "this year" the only year the Scouts haven't made finals under this leadership team?  That would be a "no".    How many chances should they get?

Seems pretty obvious that the design of the shows that haven't made finals was the problem... The design team is gone and replaced. In 2008, a lot of us thought we were on the right track with the design team, and then they came out with Relampago. In 2010 we got the Mason Entertainment Group and everything was trending in the right direction. Jim had made it clear to a lot of people from the beginning that he was on board for 5 years. Now we've had 3 years of design issues. It's been shown over the last ten years that this leadership team is actually pretty #### good, but the on field product needs better designs. In fact, Dann Peterson was awarded Director of the Year in 2010 and Chris Komnick got the award in 2012.