Prsmpower4

2019 Madison Scouts!

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

He never really got the hang of arranging for Bb/F horns the way (say) Michael Klesch did. 

Scott has a looong resume of arranging for marching bands and concert bands. I hardly think the key of the brass makes a difference, given his position as director of bands at Western Michigan U.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Scouts' FAQ page:

Our 2017 program was a bold risk for us, and we were told that pacing and variety were the keys to climbing higher competitively. We listened. And this year, we have taken the calculated risk of moving in a new direction with a show varied in pacing and emotion.

While pacing, variety, and emotion are important, (What successful Scouts show has not had good variety, pacing and emotion?), in 2019 I want the Scouts to avoid trying so hard to calculate what the judges want and just do very good - and very modern - drum corps.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are Komnick and Petersen gone yet?  Or are we good with 16th place finishes?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2018 at 3:44 PM, Hrothgar15 said:

He never really got the hang of arranging for Bb/F horns the way (say) Michael Klesch did. 

Scott Boerma is one of the finest arrangers in the marching band/drum corps activity. The above quoted statement is pure trash.

 

All things considered, there is no reason to retain anyone involved with this past season. Admins, designers and instructional staff all need to go. That is hard for me to say because I know several of them personally and have been influenced by them.

The Madison Scouts are an organization that is constantly looking in the wrong direction. They look back instead of forward. They seem content (as do a sizeable portion of their fan base and alumni) to try to recreate 1975, 1988 and 1995 all over again. All we hear is the calls to "PUT ON THE SUPERMAN SUITS AND PLAY MALAGUENA!" If that is the goal, have fun finishing 16th-18th place every year. The activity passed them by years ago.

They have been competitively irrelevant for over a decade and the ship shows no signs of being righted. Hence the need to blow the whole thing up and start over.

I have long been a fan of the group and would like to see them turn this thing around.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are going to have a hard time filling their guard.  Not just with strong performers, but literally having enough people audition to fill spots.  There will likely be news in the next few weeks.

I would absolutely love it if I was wrong (who would want any corps to not do well!?!) but from all that I have heard, it's going to be a pretty big hill to climb.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

They are going to have a hard time filling their guard.  Not just with strong performers, but literally having enough people audition to fill spots.  There will likely be news in the next few weeks.

I think their guard was decent.  I do think staging hurt them as well as the first part of the show.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, contrajedi8 said:

Scott Boerma is one of the finest arrangers in the marching band/drum corps activity. The above quoted statement is pure trash.

 

All things considered, there is no reason to retain anyone involved with this past season. Admins, designers and instructional staff all need to go. That is hard for me to say because I know several of them personally and have been influenced by them.

The Madison Scouts are an organization that is constantly looking in the wrong direction. They look back instead of forward. They seem content (as do a sizeable portion of their fan base and alumni) to try to recreate 1975, 1988 and 1995 all over again. All we hear is the calls to "PUT ON THE SUPERMAN SUITS AND PLAY MALAGUENA!" If that is the goal, have fun finishing 16th-18th place every year. The activity passed them by years ago.

They have been competitively irrelevant for over a decade and the ship shows no signs of being righted. Hence the need to blow the whole thing up and start over.

I have long been a fan of the group and would like to see them turn this thing around.

When is the last time they played Malagueña or anything like it. And how were the past two seasons anything like the past. This year had no resemblance to the Scouts of old. They were trying to look and move "forward" and look what happened.....16th place. 

I agree, let's tear down and start over, but let's do it top to bottom so we can first hire people that know how to fundraise, manage money well, hire the right kind of people who know how to put together a winning team, put winning as the single focus (what BD has done for 40+ years), then start programming shows that blend high artistry, excellence, and entertainment and you have a winning combination. Quit looking to the past, but also quit trying to be everybody else.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2018 at 2:19 PM, weedyweidenthal said:

Count me as one of the many people that loves Scott's arrangements from his first stint with the Scouts. That said, I don't think he did anything that distinctive in his more recent stint. Maybe he needed more creative control, or maybe he just needed an old school show design to bring the sound back, but to me this is more of a sentimental loss than anything. 

Really #### poor attempt at trolling from a guy who has less than 90 posts over the last 16 years, almost all of which have been about Madison, and almost all of which have had some type of negative implication.

churchboy asked for a positive thread. I was being positive. And negative is subjective. Inaccurate, misleading, wrong, malicious, or dishonest posts are bad, but if someone sees something from a different perspective and asks questions or makes statements that are outside popular sentiment doesn't make them negative. I came back here this season because of an article published in a Madison newspaper that focused on a female member being added. There was almost no mention of the 80th anniversary, only that a girl would be featured.  I wanted to get a feel for how Madison Scouts felt about the direction of the show before they opened the season and almost immediately lost to the Colts.

Because I don't have diarrhea of the fingers doesn't mean that I'm not taking in all sides of the debate. I asked about the performance level of the show versus the content of the show because there are many who say that the MMs have no role in the 16th place finish. It doesn't make sense to me unless they have perfected the material given to them. That's not negativity, it's logic. I find it hard to believe that a non-Finalist corps would draw the same level of talent as the Blue corps, SCV, Crown, etc. Is that negative or honest? Could the 2018 Madison Scouts MMs have won the title IF they had SCV's show and staff? Be careful because if you answer "no" you're being negative.

It's OK though, we now that the 2018 Scouts were not that talented. WHich is why I asked if the staff had to write a show to match the talent level they had to work with. This isn't trolling or being negative; it's a starting point as Madison and their leadership begins addressing 2018 and looking ahead to 2019. ONLY an honest assessment of all aspects of their 16th place finish, a clunker of an 80th Anniversary show, and whether the corps should open auditions to boys and girls will bring confidence to the hearts and minds of the alumni, fans, and casual observers like me. They owe me nothing, but that doesn't mean I can't voice my curiosity. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Are Komnick and Petersen gone yet?  Or are we good with 16th place finishes?

The worst thing that any organization can do is to continue to employee under-performing employees...it will destroy an organization. Madison has been doing this for years. The fact that the current Scout regime is still employed is indicative of poor leadership from the Madison BOD.

Back up the truck & fire this regime.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.