2019 Madison Scouts!

10 hours ago, PTMoney12 said:

If middle of the pack performance is considered a "DISASTER" then I would hate to hear what you have to say about consistently bottom-12 corps. A couple of off years don't mean the corps is doomed. If it were then there's no way we would be marching a full roster.

As a member I can say the constant negativity online is a major source of frustration to vets and rookies alike. The show this year is a ton of fun and positivity and support from fans/alumni is a million times more of a motivator than "I hope we don't suck like last year."

I first saw Madison live at the CYO Nationals in 1976. I was thirteen. It was the bicentennial and as part of the show had the guard recreating Iwo Gima if I am not mistaken, and if I am, it will be corrected quickly. I can recall 1979, again at CYO Nationals when North Star beat Madison by 1/10th of a point and there was stunned silence. It was in Boston so fans were happy, but we were all certain it would have been Madison’s show. Fast forward to 1999, Manning Bowl, “Jesus Christ, Superstar,” my ears still ring thinking about that show. 

Madison has a storied past, no question. All Madison bus drivers had to do was turn the ignition key and fans were applauding in anticipation, but Madison has a present and future too. You and the marching members this year are the present, and are building the future. Take the negative comments and if they upset you, put it into energy to prove everyone wrong. I have yet to see the show in its entirety, so I can’t comment on its strengths or weaknesses, but as you travel, you will no doubt find many who enjoy the show and the efforts you and your fellow marching members are making. 

• Like 4

The fact that the Madison Scouts are in the DCI World Class Corps Discussions forum should be encouraging to us all because the Madison Scouts are still a world class drum corps.  I'm not going to second-guess the corps' leadership and staff but my full support lies with the alumni and the current members.  Those guys currently in uniform are practicing hard as we speak and I'll see them live tonight in Hamilton.

Now I'm an alumnus of The Cavaliers and what's going on with the Madison Scouts now parallels what happened to The Cavaliers in 1978.  For those of you who weren't born yet, that was the last year The Cavaliers didn't make DCI Finals.  My rookie year was 1980 and we all heard from the guys who marched in 1978 how awful it was to not make Finals and every single one of us was determined to climb the hill to success.  Starting in 1980 The Cavaliers set in motion a plan to move up and be more competitive and it was a long slog back to the top.  Getting to the top is hard.  Staying at the top is even harder.

It will be a similar experience for the Madison Scouts.  Coming back from the abyss takes planning and vision and I hope the Scouts' leadership responds. At this point, simply doing better than 2018 should be considered a successful season.   

• Like 8

2 hours ago, dcikon2 said:

I totally agree with you here.  I remember back in the 90's when corps staff told me not to pay attention to DCP.  I rarely post on DCP because I feel most of the comments are from "arm-chair designers" who put down shows.  It is actually quite sad that people criticize their own to a point that is hurtful to those who participate in the activity.  

Indeed.

"Instead of reading DCP and cursing the darkness, light a candle" -Ben Franklin

• Like 4

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:23 PM, JeffreyJK68 said:

Wonder if they (admin and board) suffer from the Dunning-Krueger Effect. Blind to their own areas of incompetence, but think they are amazing leaders. I’m tired of hearing what a great experience and learning environment they are providing the guys while slipping further and further into irrelevance. In the corporate world, they would have been shown the door about 5 years ago!

HELL, they never would of made it  PAST the front corporate desk to ever  be considered for any of these positions.  Someone was asleep at the wheel on this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CorpSmother said:

Yikes. The Colts are the litmus test for suckage? Do some of you even hear yourselves? Crapping all over The Colts and Scouts because the Scouts are two points behind them? 

If marching members need to be told to avoid these forums because some of you can’t control your verbal diarrhea, maybe it’s time to re-evaluate your contributions. 

I agree. Lets not trash others for comparisons. Madison's fortunes is their own...but no need to be insulting to others. Colts have their own history and successes. 

• Like 2

Time for another summary of where we are.

Current MM: My corps is not a disaster.

DCP poster: Get off my ranting lawn.

2nd DCP poster: The (icky face) COLTS are ahead of us.  Fire the admins/BOD!

Where does this go from here?  How many other corps fans will demand administrative suicide from their corps for losing to the (even ickier face) MANDARINS, or (holding breath till purple face) BOSTON CRUSADERS?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I remember remaining positive about the Glassmen. And Magic Of Orlando. At some point you need to acknowledge that being realistic is not bad. 

Being realistic sounds great to me.  Maybe we agree on that.

But with that in mind, are Glassmen and Magic proper comparisons?  Magic folded because no one would even take the helm, IIRC.  Three previous directors were all very short-term, and the ensuing executive search yielded no applicants.  Both Magic and Glassmen were also overly dependent on bingo for funding, and both experienced downturns in bingo revenue that challenged their funding equations.

Madison has leadership, and that leadership appears to have developed the organization from a simple drum corps to a performing arts organization with stronger and more diverse funding.  If that is not as it appears, then fire them for that.

7 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Being realistic sounds great to me.  Maybe we agree on that.

But with that in mind, are Glassmen and Magic proper comparisons?  Magic folded because no one would even take the helm, IIRC.  Three previous directors were all very short-term, and the ensuing executive search yielded no applicants.  Both Magic and Glassmen were also overly dependent on bingo for funding, and both experienced downturns in bingo revenue that challenged their funding equations.

Madison has leadership, and that leadership appears to have developed the organization from a simple drum corps to a performing arts organization with stronger and more diverse funding.  If that is not as it appears, then fire them for that.

Ok now we’re aligning on our discussion. I think this is our disagreement:  I say their financial security and future, and therefore the future existence of the corps, is in jeopardy and that on-field competitive results affect the organization financially. You say (I don’t want to put words in your mouth so correct me) they are a stronger more financially diverse organization today. I hope you are right. But I’m afraid you are not. 

How’s that?

1 hour ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

The fact that the Madison Scouts are in the DCI World Class Corps Discussions forum should be encouraging to us all because the Madison Scouts are still a world class drum corps.  I'm not going to second-guess the corps' leadership and staff but my full support lies with the alumni and the current members.  Those guys currently in uniform are practicing hard as we speak and I'll see them live tonight in Hamilton.

Now I'm an alumnus of The Cavaliers and what's going on with the Madison Scouts now parallels what happened to The Cavaliers in 1978.  For those of you who weren't born yet, that was the last year The Cavaliers didn't make DCI Finals.  My rookie year was 1980 and we all heard from the guys who marched in 1978 how awful it was to not make Finals and every single one of us was determined to climb the hill to success.  Starting in 1980 The Cavaliers set in motion a plan to move up and be more competitive and it was a long slog back to the top.  Getting to the top is hard.  Staying at the top is even harder.

It will be a similar experience for the Madison Scouts.  Coming back from the abyss takes planning and vision and I hope the Scouts' leadership responds. At this point, simply doing better than 2018 should be considered a successful season.   

I remember that 78 show. Also Garfield’s 78 show. Neither of which made the top twelve. 

14 hours ago, dcikon2 said:

Is Madison marching a full corps?  What is the current number in the guard?  I heard that Madison was marching around 28 in the guard.  If so, I hope they will be allowed to add a few more.

I have to tell you, there are a *lot* of corps this year that aren't marching full numbers.  I was worried about my corps all spring, then the more I hear about it from others, it seems to be an activity-wide issue this year.  (Outside of the top 12, anyways.)

Mike