DCI World Champs Semi Finals - Aug 10, 2018

Slight time issues side to side in Crossmen. A bit of front to back in Regiment. Anyone else have this or is it my seat ? Side two 35. 40 rows up. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

Better than it should be imo. Bones brought it, Mandarins now with that weird BK vibe. Spirit close but not quite. I’d have Troop over Academy 

I love Troop's show. I really regret not being able to see it one last time due to work. They were one of my favorites this year.

• Like 2

Just now, mikekhs said:

Slight time issues side to side in Crossmen. A bit of front to back in Regiment. Anyone else have this or is it my seat ? Side two 35. 40 rows up. 

Flo watcher here. I did hear some timing stuff in the opening drum break from the Crossmen, but nothing else jumped out at me.

1 minute ago, barigirl78 said:

This is not the first time I've seen Phantom.

But, every time is like the first time because I remember absolutely nothing about their show except those ladder props.  It's a show--for me--without any highlights.  I know I wasn't a music major and I'm not a classical music expert, but it seems like one of those shows where you gotta be a judge to appreciate it.

I want to add that over the years, Phantom was the corps that taught me to appreciate classical music.  When we toured with them in '78, they were beating us every night, but I still bought one of their Beethoven t-shirts.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Gotta say, I’d be surprised if they kept Will Pitts as arranger for a fourth year. I think it’s safe to say that was a bad decision. 

I march in Phantom cause I like 10th place ( used to be 4th, to the tune of 1812)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, barigirl78 said:

I want to add that over the years, Phantom was the corps that taught me to appreciate classical music.  When we toured with them in '78, they were beating us every night, but I still bought one of their Beethoven t-shirts.  

I'm a Dvorak fan purely because of 89. I can respect this.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BostonLUck said:

A rough run for Phantom, they sounded tired... or out of breath... intonation, articulation and dynamic issues throughout. We may see Mandarins make their move.

Don't tease me like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I march in Phantom cause I like 10th place ( used to be 4th, to the tune of 1812)

Do you think Phantom’s relative struggles are due to arrangements? I don’t know how much input or control Will has in the overall musical direction, or even song selection, to say nothing of show design and visuals. To me, it feels like Will is boxed into a framework that pretty much dictates most of what he is doing. Phantom is at a similar crossroad to Scouts. If their alumni and supporters refuse to accept a new kind of Phantom, you’re gonna continue to get dark, moody black and white shows that are relatively similar to the last three shows.

it won’t be much longer before Phantom isn’t making finals. Academy, Mandarins, Atlanta, Music City, these are Corps with no baggage and are willing to take risks.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikekhs said:

I'm watching on Flo. Definitely noticed the phasing for Crossmen, but didn't really notice for Phantom.