DCI World Champs Semi Finals - Aug 10, 2018

1 minute ago, Jeffe77 said:

Someone mentioned that part of the reason of the low content perc score is due to not featuring the percussion as much, do you agree?

I think the point there is that they're largely used as jazz percussion which lays a beat underneath the music. There are feature breaks but most of their work is laying a great beat under the music.  So it's much different than what judges are used to having to hear and understanding what they're doing.

The other thing is the pit. There's two things there I'm noticing again tonight 1) the writing doesn't stand out.  There's little in the way of "pit moments" 2) it seems you've got very talented pit players who are used to playing classical and chamber percussion styles.  Jazz marimbas, xylos, etc. are a different beast.  So the writers seem to have struck a midpoint between the style they're used to writing and the kids are used to playing and a more jazz style.  It sort of leaves the book feeling weird. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

However, I can't thank the Bluecoats enough for bringing a jazz show back to the field. 

Is that really so rare? I feel like I hear extensive jazz all the time in DCI — just look at this year’s top 3! And 3 totally different styles of jazz, to boot; I love it. 

1 minute ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Is that really so rare? I feel like I hear extensive jazz all the time in DCI — just look at this year’s top 3! And 3 totally different styles of jazz, to boot; I love it. 

It's the swing/be-bop in particular I've been missing.  You get "jazzy' things and numbers. but rarely a whole show built around the style

Tail end of this show was great tonight while typing those thoughts!  The ballad entry was really really emotionally pulling and God Bless The Child is a real moment to remember.  It's almost  a "modern Bloo's Autumn Leaves" thing. 

• Like 2

Just now, KVG_DC said:

It's the swing/be-bop in particular I've been missing.  You get "jazzy' things and numbers. but rarely a whole show built around the style

Blue Devils ‘91.  Madison ‘82.  Garfield ‘81.

2 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I think the point there is that they're largely used as jazz percussion which lays a beat underneath the music.

It's a shame a percussion section can be, I guess "not built up" because they play percussion parts which perfectly fit the music.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

I think the point there is that they're largely used as jazz percussion which lays a beat underneath the music. There are feature breaks but most of their work is laying a great beat under the music.  So it's much different than what judges are used to having to hear and understanding what they're doing.

The other thing is the pit. There's two things there I'm noticing again tonight 1) the writing doesn't stand out.  There's little in the way of "pit moments" 2) it seems you've got very talented pit players who are used to playing classical and chamber percussion styles.  Jazz marimbas, xylos, etc. are a different beast.  So the writers seem to have struck a midpoint between the style they're used to writing and the kids are used to playing and a more jazz style.  It sort of leaves the book feeling weird. 

Yes, exactly I know noticed front ensemble is not as intergrated with the over music arrangement than years prior. I guess their different costumes per section is musical microcosm.