DCI World Champs Semi Finals - Aug 10, 2018

3 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I love this place.

Missed your post before saying the same thing!

15 minutes ago, Ms.L said:

Me too. And now I get to sit right beside him. Maybe my elbow will slip.

Like Nike says “ Just Do It “

• Haha 1

Just now, Den8uml said:

I would put BD in first for flawless execution! Bac and Cavies both have a higher level of difficulty but it’s not by a lot and it doesn’t matter when you execute that well! 

They've ramped up their difficulty since they were getting panned mid season for it.  BD guard instruction knows what its doing.

• Like 4

Not sure if there was some weird mic issues but several times in the back half of BDs show I could clearly hear individual horns bleeding through the ensemble and a missed release here and there...wtf?!?  Show has grown on me over the season and the performance level is undeniable...just not one of the better products they have put on the field the last 10+ years.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Blasphemy to suggest it, but:

Do Blue Devils march and play simultaneously more than any other corps this year?

At least among the top 15, it seemed that way to me last night at the theater, but maybe my impression was influenced by camera choices.

Seriously, I think this is something worth considering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KVG_DC said:

I made a clip of last years ballad and threw it on my phone.  It's been played over 500 times according to iTunes.

That was some of the best brass writing I’ve heard in the last decade.  I’ve written extensively on how everyone sounds the same now but the Blue Devils’ arrangers are just better.  They voice the brass like a jazz band, not like a concert band trying to play jazz.  That’s the best description or comparison I know to use.

• Like 1

Seemed a little off to me. The little squiggle brass feature sounded like it had a slight tear. Overall a fantastic performance that I absolutely loved!

Blue Devils had a couple of malfunctions, including a window pain falling out, handled it as if nothing was wrong. I don't think it will hurt them, but great recovery. I will say I do enjoy this show.