DCI World Champs Semi Finals - Aug 10, 2018

3 minutes ago, legacy said:

I meant stop playing open class, you're done that now. let it be what it is for the groups that are coming up.

posted from the DrumScorps app

Those 2 Corps will never become World Class just due to the nature of their relationship with their "parent" Corps. Been discussed a lot here on DCP.

• Like 1

Reading the final few pages of comments from the semi’s, and I need to ask what appears to be a stupid question. I’ve never been much of a captions geek (a name I use to honor those more interested in nitty-gritty numbers than I), so I guess I never realized this. Are the caption award scores based on a corps’ total points in the captions over all three shows in Indy? If so, has that system been used all along?

7 hours ago, mfrontz said:

And yet you refused to say more when I asked. Wanna put an accusation about a judge's integrity into print, or just beat around the bush some more? 

Oh come on. You know when (insert corps) loses its cause judges hate them

1 hour ago, legacy said:

me thinks ... if you get over an 80 points awarding at World Class you have no business in Open Class any longer. there really should be an activity saved for development. when you have developed it's time to go.

make it fair. it's exactly like Onyx and O2 in winterguard. they are good enough to be world now. stop playing world class. it's completely un sportsman like. it is your time to move on.

Open class is nothing about on the field. It’s anout the financial ability to do the world class tour in a safe and healthy way for all and not going bankrupt doing it. 

Imo some WC corps that are losing to OC corps and crying about scores need to look in the mirror as to why that is happening. I get some say it’s not about the score, but behind the scenes they certainly cry about it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Old Corps Fan said:

Reading the final few pages of comments from the semi’s, and I need to ask what appears to be a stupid question. I’ve never been much of a captions geek (a name I use to honor those more interested in nitty-gritty numbers than I), so I guess I never realized this. Are the caption award scores based on a corps’ total points in the captions over all three shows in Indy? If so, has that system been used all along?

They are based on the average of the 3 nights 

Not sure when they made the change. For a long time it was finals night

27 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Open class is nothing about on the field. It’s anout the financial ability to do the world class tour in a safe and healthy way for all and not going bankrupt doing it. 

Imo some WC corps that are losing to OC corps and crying about scores need to look in the mirror as to why that is happening. I get some say it’s not about the score, but behind the scenes they certainly cry about it

I guess I get the beef, though... It seems as of Vanguard Cadets and BDB have a lock on,the championships for the foreseeable future. Doesn't really seem like a level playing field. 

But I suppose the same could be said about World Class...so...

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

They are based on the average of the 3 nights 

Not sure when they made the change. For a long time it was finals night

I believe the correct answer is 2001...not totally sure

23 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

I guess I get the beef, though... It seems as of Vanguard Cadets and BDB have a lock on,the championships for the foreseeable future. Doesn't really seem like a level playing field. 

But I suppose the same could be said about World Class...so...

The last time any corps beat either SCVC or BDB is 2012 with Oregon Crusaders. I would not be surprised to see Gold give the two a run for their money next year. Guardians could too. 

Open Class is so broad, I’m not sure it can have a level playing field. You have corps that are most likely striving to be WC. My guess would be Gold, Guardians, Louisiana Stars, perhaps Legends are in this group. There are corps where OC is exactly where they want to be and they thrive. Spartans, 7th Regiment, Shadow are probably examples of this group. Some such as Florida Heat Wave are getting their feet wet, some such as Southwind are returning to the competitive field. 

In theory, each OC corps is striving for first place, but know the competition is for third. Still, there is a great deal of variety with each corps. Also, it is a category that is growing and developing. Five years ago, OC corps were good, but often imitations of WC corps in style, musical choices, etc. Now we see a variety of corps growing and developing which is probably due in no small part to the way Open Class is organized.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

In the case of Vanguard Cadets and BDB, it’s the exact opposite. Those two corps have more financial stability than most of World Class. They aren’t performing in that group because of how those two organizations are structured.