DCI World Champs Semi Finals - Aug 10, 2018

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

omg

Try to keep their design staff at Mandarins. Because right now they are out-designing all but three or four Corps. That show, with the percussion talent of any of the corps that will finish above them, might launch them into the top six.

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

I guess I get the beef, though... It seems as of Vanguard Cadets and BDB have a lock on,the championships for the foreseeable future. Doesn't really seem like a level playing field. 

But I suppose the same could be said about World Class...so...

yet OC won before they moved up. and...they are CADET/B corps. Their mission is not to be the World class corps from that organization.

bottom line...make your on field product better. Or don't complain about scores.

and, IMO, the financials for being in WC need reviewed peridoically

• Like 1

3 hours ago, legacy said:

I meant stop playing open class, you're done that now. let it be what it is for the groups that are coming up.

posted from the DrumScorps app

SCVC’s trajectory really didn’t solidify until 2013, as prior to that they had won OC in ‘00 and ‘08. There is a cohesion that, in my view, really took hold once the VMPA organization committed to the idea of a joint teaching philosophy and (in baseball terms) the development of a stable farm system. Director Steve Barnhill is an SCV alum from the early 70’s championship years, and in him I see a lot of GR’s “kids come first” no nonsense approach (Gail would say, “My kids...”) I see more member jackets than ever with a mix of the trademark VC and A-Corps year patches on their sleeve; at the Bellflower show I met several that were Auroboros age outs. I believe the current A-corps head DM got his start in VC, and several 2018 A-corps members are from the 2017 VC.

I was surprised to learn that the youngest kids in this years’ VC were 14, with the minimum age policy being 13 (I thought it was 15.) Many of this year’s group were complete DC rookies who had never toured, with DC rookie parents who had never had seen their son or daughter leave home for the summer. There were a handful of 2nd year kids and 5 or 6 3-year vets, but by and large it was a new batch; one of VC’s DMs even mentioned this when he was interviewed following OC Championships. There were a number of posts on the VC FB Page from new parents seeking guidance or encouragement when their kids began to express doubt whether or not they were truly cut out for the experience * even though * the tour schedule is a bit under half a WC schedule. Veteran VC parents (many of whom are FMMs of the A-corps) were there to help. As an aside, a new record was set when three sisters marched together in the hornline this year. 

As one of those FMMs/current VC parents I really got a sense for the youth this year after they laid down the gauntlet in Michigan City, then blew the stands back on Thursday to nip the Troopers. However, in Semis it was clearly obvious from the opening few bars that VC wasn’t going to maintain their lead following a supremely good Troopers performance, and they had no shot at all against Madison. I heard oddball stickout things and saw total mental breakdown errors that were new. They were done; the tank was empty, and they still had another 9+ minutes to go. To be frank, I was surprised the scoring gap wasn’t larger. Even my kid (one of the 3-year vets) didn’t text me afterward, and that’s not like him. 

That said, I hope they can dig deep and do one more run through. Due to the weather delays on Tuesday there was no opportunity for a retreat or victory concert, and the kids received their medals back at the housing site instead of on the field. So, I’m hoping the kids view their exhibition later today as the victory lap they didn’t get earlier this week. 

Sorry for the length!

Edited by TRacer
Ottokorrekt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

With the Coco movie just released, the Dia de los Muertos theme was BIG at the Mexican pavilion at EPCOT this year. 

Gold did a great Dia de los Muertos a few years back.. much more thematic in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

In the case of Vanguard Cadets and BDB, it’s the exact opposite. Those two corps have more financial stability than most of World Class. They aren’t performing in that group because of how those two organizations are structured.

But don’t you think each of those organizations trying to fund TWO World Class tours WOULD also be a financial strain, regardless of their current stability?

11 hours ago, mfrontz said:

Thought not.

I only speak facts on current year judging history, my hope for the future of the activity, and my wish to preserve the integrity of judging for each and every corps.  Every single member in every single corps has worked their tail off.  I have zero interest in trying to smear anyone's name on an anonymous forum or otherwise.  Having been in a position to judge other activities, I know the difficulty. 

That said, every corps should be judged fairly and equally on the standards set forth.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRacer said:

That said, I hope they can dig deep and do one more run through. Due to the weather delays on Tuesday there was no opportunity for a retreat or victory concert, and the kids received their medals back at the housing site instead of on the field. So, I’m hoping the kids view their exhibition later today as the victory lap they didn’t get earlier this week. 

I don't believe the Open Class champion does a victory run after that division's championships on Tuesday, and I think this is why they have a victory run today before Finals. I'd imagine a nighttime noise ordinance is in effect for Michigan City.

5 hours ago, mfrontz said:

They are based on the average of the 3 nights 

Not sure when they made the change. For a long time it was finals night

This would be the first thing I would change if I was king for a day. I absolutely hate hate HATE this stupid averaging thing.

36 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

This would be the first thing I would change if I was king for a day. I absolutely hate hate HATE this stupid averaging thing.

IMO the "stupid averaging thing" prevents any bias at all towards a corps.  Suppose Cavies would be thrilled to have the Torch on guard at finals if they were on top most shows all year, top in quarters and semi's, then oh oh, they drop to say 3rd at finals.  Too bad, you are third at the end of a great year where consensus has you in first. Averaging is a good way to measure who is best over the season, (or who has cleaned and become consistent over the last week) not just a single show.  The total of all captions the night of finals settles all that.  Just my opinion.  Averaging makes it fair.

• Like 1