DCI World Champs Semi Finals - Aug 10, 2018

39 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

This would be the first thing I would change if I was king for a day. I absolutely hate hate HATE this stupid averaging thing.

I am a fan of the averaged caption awards. Brass, Guard and Percussion have a single judge each night, so if you let the finals judge call the caption, it's just one person's opinion. Impressing judges across 3 nights is a better indicator that you really are the best line of the year.

GE is already averaged - you have to impress 4 judges to win it finals night - so I don't see as strong a reason to average 3 nights for that caption award.

• Like 1

Perhaps have (multiple additional) caption award only judges on finals night, for the current single-judge only captions (like percussion and guard). They could even be the same judges used during prelims and semifinals, except they would then all be judging the same finals performance for those caption awards.

50 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

I am a fan of the averaged caption awards. Brass, Guard and Percussion have a single judge each night, so if you let the finals judge call the caption, it's just one person's opinion. Impressing judges across 3 nights is a better indicator that you really are the best line of the year.

GE is already averaged - you have to impress 4 judges to win it finals night - so I don't see as strong a reason to average 3 nights for that caption award.

Sorry. Ain't buying it. DCI Finals should always be a stand-alone contest, connected to no other prior event. Winner take all. And captions should be decided on that night's performance and that night only. That's the whole point of the event. It's THE World Championship. The only show that matters when deciding the DCI Champion. It makes no sense to bring in numbers from a different performance at a different contest under different conditions with different judges into the mix. No sense whatsoever. 

It's absolutely appalling to me that a corps could win a caption at the Saturday night Finals show, the biggest night of the year when all twelve corps are emptying the tank and giving the absolute best they've got...and another corps could be handed a trophy for it. 

:soapbox:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seen-it-all said:

This would be the first thing I would change if I was king for a day. I absolutely hate hate HATE this stupid averaging thing.

Remember the Superbowl?  DCI Finals is our Superbowl! 

If you hate "this stupid averaging thing" then you would REALLY hate my idea that like every other organized team sport in the US and in the world, football, basketball, baseball then there should be a trophy for being the regular season champion and separate awards and recognition for being the the Finals DCI Tournament champion.  It would make the regular season relevant.  :27_sunglasses:

Flame on!  :biggrin:

Edited by wvu80

Just now, wvu80 said:

Remember the Superbowl?  DCI Finals is our Superbowl!  It would make the regular season relevant.

If you hate "this stupid averaging thing" then you would REALLY hate my idea that like every other organized team sport in the US and in the world, football, basketball, baseball then there should be a trophy for being the regular season champion and separate awards and recognition for being the the Finals DCI Tournament champion.  :27_sunglasses:

Flame on!  :biggrin:

Drum corps is not a sport. Go flame yourself. :bleah:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

Sorry. Ain't buying it. DCI Finals should always be a stand-alone contest, connected to no other prior event. Winner take all. And captions should be decided on that night's performance and that night only. That's the whole point of the event. It's THE World Championship. The only show that matters when deciding the DCI Champion. It makes no sense to bring in numbers from a different performance at a different contest under different conditions with different judges into the mix. No sense whatsoever. 

It's absolutely appalling to me that a corps could win a caption at the Saturday night Finals show, the biggest night of the year when all twelve corps are emptying the tank and giving the absolute best they've got...and another corps could be handed a trophy for it. 

Totally!

3 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

Drum corps is not a sport. Go flame yourself. :bleah:

LOL!  There's an argument waiting to happen!  :laugh:

I thought DCI promoted us as a sport sometime in the past, the summer music games or something.  What are we promoted as now, marching arts?  Musical arts?

I can't keep up.  :w00t:

20 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

And you'll be the first to demand averaging when your Corps who has been owning a caption all season gets edged out on Finals night.

THE World Championships is 3 nights. Finals is only the last night. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

t's absolutely appalling to me that a corps could win a caption at the Saturday night Finals show, the biggest night of the year when all twelve corps are emptying the tank and giving the absolute best they've got...and another corps could be handed a trophy for it. 

C'mon man, you know the answer to that, this isn't your first rodeo.  :27_sunglasses:

How many complaints did we used to have that "Judge X hates our drum line and that's why we lost,  It's DCI politics!"  (where's that crocodile tears emoji when you need it)

Having three and sometimes six separate judges over three days evens out any "bad blood scoring" or "DCI bias" complaints.  One single judge cannot control the outcome of any caption, period.

What could be more fair than that?

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1