DCI World Champs Semi Finals - Aug 10, 2018

21 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Visually its drawing from Coco.  Dia de los Muertos and visiting the colorful land of the dead then the veil of separation being established at the end. 

Musically its not drawing from that movie though (as someone else mentioned, Remember Me would make a great ballad).  So it comes off a bit disjointed.

Are Blue Devils B really using motifs from Coco?

Or do BDB and Coco and Hawthorne Caballeros (last year in DCA) all both draw from the same Day of the Dead traditions?

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The number of shows this year with variations on a general theme of 'Death' makes me wonder if last fall, at some secret undisclosed location Corps designers decided this years theme should involve 'Death'    

Day of the Dead, for all it's skull imagery, is more about the living remembering the departed than the moment of death itself.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

BDB was quite nice, but I see no reason why Crest & potentially even Music City should be behind them when scores come out.

Crest for sure.  The Hollywood show plays SO well and PC really peaked at the right time with it.  I just don't think the BDB show had the same level of GE, even though,  yes, the performers did an outstanding job.

• Like 2

PC Tweet -- Apparently, earlier in the season, an announcer mangled PC's name but got the city and state correct. 

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Are Blue Devils B really using motifs from Coco?

Or do BDB and Coco and Hawthorne Caballeros (last year in DCA) all both draw from the same Day of the Dead traditions?

Fair point. Drawing from the same well perhaps.  I just see a lot of tie in with Coco with 1) the vibrancy of colors  and 2) the opening/closing scrims (particularly the close) which seems like the 'pictures on the shelf' which is a huge part of Coco's imagery.

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The number of shows this year with variations on a general theme of 'Death' makes me wonder if last fall, at some secret undisclosed location Corps designers decided this years theme should involve 'Death'    

My aunt and uncle, seeing drum corps for the first time on Monday, noticed the same thing. Even the Marines featured a "body" in their WWI tribute show!

Alright Troopers, make be bawl with your opening.  Cause I know it will.

19 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Giving DCI United Kingdom a little love.

RdNBibn.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

A UK drum corps, Cadence, will be attending DCA championships in three weeks.

• Thanks 1