Length of Shows in 2018

Just for general interest, I ran a stopwatch on every show today (watching on the Flo stream and at the cinema) and noted the following run times for each performance. I put them in order of today's placements. The timing starts with the first new note or step following the "DCI is proud to present" announcement. If there was something more substantial than just mood-setting background sounds prior to the announcement, I note that separately as preshow. I didn't watch the timing judge, so it is possible in some cases that the judged portion of a show is shorter than I have indicated. I probably made some mistakes, and welcome any corrections. Again, I make no judgments about this; I merely thought some people might find this information of interest.

Santa Clara Vanguard -- 12:09

Blue Devils -- 12:25

Bluecoats -- 12:11

Carolina Crown -- 12:12

Boston Crusaders -- 12:35

Cavaliers -- 11:30

Cadets -- 13:11

Blue Stars -- 11:53

Blue Knights -- 11:40

Phantom Regiment -- 13:12

Mandarins -- 12:04

Crossmen -- 11:12

Spirit of Atlanta -- 11:37

Academy -- 11:41

Colts -- 11:14 (+1:00 preshow)

Madison Scouts -- 12:36

Vanguard Cadets -- 10:22

Troopers -- 10:37

Blue Devils B -- 11:12

Pacific Crest -- 10:42

Music City -- 11:03 (+0:15 preshow)

Oregon Crusaders -- 10:27 (+1:10 preshow)

Gold -- 9:26

Genesis -- 10:52

Spartans -- 10:20

Legends -- 11:14 (+1:10 preshow)

Seattle Cascades -- 10:09

7th Regiment -- 10:15

Guardians -- 11:16

Jersey Surf -- 10:19

Louisiana Stars -- 10:43 (+1:10 preshow)

River City Rhythm -- 10:02

Southwind -- 11:25

Jubal -- 11:05 (+0:45 preshow)

Golden Empire -- 9:15

Pioneer -- 10:54

Shadow -- 8:56

Colt Cadets -- 9:04

Raiders -- 10:45

Heat Wave -- 8:30 (+0:25 preshow)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was always under the assumption that the scoring starts as soon as the DM turned back around from giving their salute, and ends when they turn around to bow when finished.

Is there an official rule on this? And rule on how short a show can be? I also thought that a show can only be like 11:30 and no longer, else there's a penalty.

1 minute ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

I was always under the assumption that the scoring starts as soon as the DM turned back around from giving their salute, and ends when they turn around to bow when finished.

Is there an official rule on this? And rule on how short a show can be? I also thought that a show can only be like 11:30 and no longer, else there's a penalty.

That’s how it used to be for a number of years, but that changed in 2017; the maximum length of a show is now 13 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Just for general interest, I ran a stopwatch on every show today

You have too much time on your hands.  (ahem) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

It would be interesting to time how much time the brass actually spends playing in each show. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rileydog said:

It would be interesting to time how much time the brass actually spends playing in each show. 

I clocked them off flo two regionals ago. The #s were so shocking I didn't post them due to fear of starting the flame war of all flame wars

I will say - those who play quite a lot don't seem to benefit competitively; and those playing very little are doing QUITE well competitively 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

I clocked them off flo two regionals ago. The #s were so shocking I didn't post them due to fear of starting the flame war of all flame wars

I will say - those play quite a lot don't seem to benefit competitively; and those playing very little are doing QUITE well competitively 

I have not clocked them but it does appear to be true....

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I will say - those who play quite a lot don't seem to benefit competitively; and those playing very little are doing QUITE well competitively 

Well now that you said that much, you might as well share the data!

• Like 1