Length of Shows in 2018

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I clocked them off flo two regionals ago. The #s were so shocking I didn't post them due to fear of starting the flame war of all flame wars

I will say - those who play quite a lot don't seem to benefit competitively; and those playing very little are doing QUITE well competitively 

Hey, it's all a game, and that's just smart strategy. If someone gave three months to learn a piece of music to perfection, and gave me the option of learning either a 6 minute piece or a 5 minute piece, there's really no question which one I'd pick.

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I clocked them off flo two regionals ago. The #s were so shocking I didn't post them due to fear of starting the flame war of all flame wars

I will say - those who play quite a lot don't seem to benefit competitively; and those playing very little are doing QUITE well competitively 

I have no idea who plays more or less because I haven't done this, but to be fair, the length of time one plays does not dictate demand, content, or effectiveness. As long as I'm entertained throughout ones show I really don't care how long they play. But, it would be interesting to see those stats.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rileydog said:

It would be interesting to time how much time the brass actually spends playing in each show. 

Might need 3-4 people each with a stop watch since most brass line sections are not always playing at the same time.  Then at another show time each section for playing while stopped and playing while moving.

28 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Might need 3-4 people each with a stop watch since most brass line sections are not always playing at the same time.  Then at another show time each section for playing while stopped and playing while moving.

Lol...lots of variables! 

Brass lines now play considerably less in time than they used too. No surprise. Why play more than you have too ? Why move more in the show than you have too either ?  The judges ( percussion, for example ) are moving as much, sometimes even more, and covering more ground during shows, than some Corps marchers are during their show... lol

Edited by BRASSO
  • Haha 1

Not only is Cadets' show over 13 minutes, but they are marching like crazy.  Are they being rewarded appropriately for the extra demand?  In my opinion, no.

I would love to see data for the average distance marched by each corps.  Obviously, that would be very difficult to obtain!

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I have no idea who plays more or less because I haven't done this, but to be fair, the length of time one plays does not dictate demand, content, or effectiveness. As long as I'm entertained throughout ones show I really don't care how long they play. But, it would be interesting to see those stats.

But when one corps is playing 5.5 minutes as a brass ensemble and another is playing 9.5 are we really comparing apples to apples?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

But when one corps is playing 5.5 minutes as a brass ensemble and another is playing 9.5 are we really comparing apples to apples?

Judges are... and apparently preferring the smaller apples:lle:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FTNK said:

Corps with 9ish minute shows shouldn’t compete with full length ones

Look at Gold with a show under 10 mins.... has scored very well and made semis.  Is that even fair?  This seems to come up every year and from what I can observe, show length does not help/hurt scores.

8 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

Look at Gold with a show under 10 mins.... has scored very well and made semis.  Is that even fair?  This seems to come up every year and from what I can observe, show length does not help/hurt scores.

In my opinion, Gold, Shadow, Colt Cadets, and Heat Wave all should have been penalized for being under-time yesterday (and today for Gold).

However, this has been a (relatively minor) issue at World Class Prelims ever since they let the Open Class corps join the mix, so apparently the directors of the negatively-affected corps (e.g. Legends this year) don't think it's a rule worth enforcing.

Anyways, Gold is on the stream right now. It's a good show regardless of length, so anyone who hasn't yet seen it, check them out now!