Could "ear fatigue" be a factor at Prelims and Regionals?

I was always told:  If you are working on composing, arranging, or transcribing, right after you wake up in the morning is the best time to work as your ears are "fresh".

I'll pick on the poor brass judge here (who I truly respect):  After hours and hours of in your face brass, will he be able to pick out the nuances of the later Corps?

I, of course, have never judged, so I'm interested in your thoughts.

I don't think they have the same judges as the day before. Who could take that much abuse?

If that is what you meant.

40 groups is just too much, though, for one day. 

I'd imagine he/she would have a headache. 

Edited by BoyWonder1911

4 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

I don't think they have the same judges as the day before. Who could take that much abuse?

If that is what you meant.

40 groups is just too much, though, for one day. 

I'd imagine he/she would have a headache. 

I was thinking about the long days for a single judge.  A lot of the really nit picky judging normally takes place at the end of the day when the ears are the most tired. 

26 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

I was thinking about the long days for a single judge.  A lot of the really nit picky judging normally takes place at the end of the day when the ears are the most tired. 

I'd imagine the pickiness would have more to do with the better corps being judged harsher. When you get up into that tier, you're expected to have worked on the little things, and those little things are what separates 94 points and 97 points.

Maybe they could use some sort of ear plug protection that doesn't degrade fidelity?  I seem to remember seeing a commercial about that sort of thing somewhere...

This past spring, BOA introduced a new judging method for its Super Regionals and Grand National Championships in which they will be using two completely different panels to be rotated throughout the day, in large part to accommodate the growing number of bands at those events. It also prevents judging panels from getting too tired during the show.

This is an idea that DCI should definitely consider looking into for Prelims and Semifinals, where scores are released throughout the day, making numbers management easier for two entirely different panels (not to mention giving each panel's judges - and their ears - a break). However, I would avoid doing this at regionals because scores for those are only released at the end of the day.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

Maybe they could use some sort of ear plug protection that doesn't degrade fidelity?  I seem to remember seeing a commercial about that sort of thing somewhere...

I tried something similar BITD -- it had a very lightweight spring that would close at higher sound pressure levels. I used them a little when I played 2 rock band concerts a day recruiting for the Navy over several years. It always felt like I had a head cold, so I stopped wearing them.

Now I have a great excuse for ignoring The Wife. 

• Haha 1

Hot take:  Has the activity grown enough that we need to cap the number of quarterfinalists?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

Hot take:  Has the activity grown enough that we need to cap the number of quarterfinalists?  

Or just World Class with the Open Class Champ slipped in for exhibition?

I'd rather change the judging rubric than eliminate corps. An all-day all-drum-corps free-for-all is everything I've always wanted from a single event.

• Like 2