Could "ear fatigue" be a factor at Prelims and Regionals?

Even just a World Class Regional can make for a long day of listening, not to mention running around on the field. (I'm looking at you, percussion judges.  OTOH, thanks for what you do for "litter control" on the field.)

Speaking of litter control.  One of the corps basses lost their hat last night near the 50 front sideline.  Their featured guard member did one of the BEST discreet pickup and drop on the sideline moves I've ever seen.  30 seconds later was when the whole corps shed their hats.  So all was fine.

1 hour ago, CrownBariDad said:

I was always told:  If you are working on composing, arranging, or transcribing, right after you wake up in the morning is the best time to work as your ears are "fresh".

I'll pick on the poor brass judge here (who I truly respect):  After hours and hours of in your face brass, will he be able to pick out the nuances of the later Corps?

I, of course, have never judged, so I'm interested in your thoughts.

Not a problem, the music judges are up in the press box! 

• Confused 1

I was always told:  If you are working on composing, arranging, or transcribing, right after you wake up in the morning is the best time to work as your ears are "fresh".

I'll pick on the poor brass judge here (who I truly respect):  After hours and hours of in your face brass, will he be able to pick out the nuances of the later Corps?

Is that why the scores go up later in the day?  Oh, and this explains west coast inflation too!

• Haha 1

Now for my honest answer - I think the composers/arrangers/transcribers giving you that advice simply do not have the same mental/aural stamina that judges do.  

Personally, a long day of listening just gets me further into the zone for hearing the finer nuances.

42 minutes ago, Box5Opinion said:

Not a problem, the music judges are up in the press box! 

Brass judge not on the field?

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

Speaking of litter control.  One of the corps basses lost their hat last night near the 50 front sideline.  Their featured guard member did one of the BEST discreet pickup and drop on the sideline moves I've ever seen.  30 seconds later was when the whole corps shed their hats.  So all was fine.

Yup crossmen, so impressive