I never want to hear that BD doesn’t move enough again

13 minutes ago, Minimaster said:

Listen to the Field Pass. Michael Gaines actually says that they wanted the show to be more of a stage production.

He says field coverage is a little antiquated and that environmental challenges are more important.

Now how he doesn’t think greater field coverage isn’t an environmental challenge is beyond me.

This is the from the guy that wrote Four Corners, etc. for goodness sake.

This is my concern about the SCV show. I’m fine with them winning and they are performing it at a truly excellent level...but I don’t want their visual approach this year to become a trend.

At first viewing this year, I was struck by how it reminded me so much of an indoor show, and I’ve not been one to call other recent changes, such as costumes, staging and props, “too WGI.”  But this visual look, with the whole package being so compressed in the front part of the field has really disappointed me. All the movement being focused on positioning people to work with the props really does seem WGI, or Blast! - the latter especially with the minimalist riser design and urban costuming.

One thing I love about drum corps, even with all the changes of the past decade, is the expansive, larger-than-life visual spectacles. I think if you squish that all down you end up with a more fundamental change than different key horns and electronics.

One day, housing and financial factors may make reducing the footprint of everything to be the best possible way forward, but we aren’t there yet, so let’s keep seeing new ways of using the 100 yards. It’s just too much fun.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bluesman said:

The only flaming being done here is being done by you.  You are obviously mad and decided to vent about something that gets under your skin.  Congratulations on picking a good year to bring up a corps who moves less than BD.  Blue Devils are doing quite a bit of drill and has decent field coverage this year.  So anyone complaining about Blue Devils not moving enough is wrong.  Of course this year is an exception because in most seasons the criticism is valid.

We’re you in the stands?   Scv did the same thing last year.  Like I said great show on a basketball court.  You have no idea what your talking about.  Blue coats don’t move this year either.  

Btw the most entershow is bac

• Confused 3

Just now, MikeBD said:

We’re you in the stands?   Scv did the same thing last year.  Like I said great show on a basketball court.  You have no idea what your talking about.  Blue coats don’t move this year either.  

Btw the most entershow is bac

Wow... you really are mad.  I've been to almost every DCI finals since 1978.  I was also a mm for 3 years.  So YES I do happen to know what I'm talking about. There is less drill being done in drum corps shows than there has been in all the years I've watched.  That's the case in almost every show that's been done in at least the last 10 years and that is disappointing because I love a good drill and try to get tickets up high enough see it all.  There's a lot less to see these days.  That bothers me a lot, but not enough to go on a tear in the way that you have.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Thought I was having a good night, but apparently I’ve died and gone to Hell, where we rehash the same dull argument about BDs lack of visual difficulty over and over for eternity.  

2013 and 2014 BD were incredibly, deceptively difficult. 2017 was not. Nowhere close. No one hits a home run every time at the plate, not even the Blue Devils visual design team. Sometimes the dull argument is off-base, sometimes it's on-target.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeBD said:

While SCV has a very entertaining show I swear there are brass members that never go to the back half of the field or outside of the 25.

Im convinced that people are just tired of BD winning. If Crown played SCVs show you might not have any hearing left.  In my 32 years of watching finals (BD won me over in 86) I have not disliked a winning show til now.  I have always had great respect for other corps but this show is beyond easy considering how talented the performers are.

Flame away.

Ha-ha! The judges beg to differ!!!

16 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

This is my concern about the SCV show. I’m fine with them winning and they are performing it at a truly excellent level...but I don’t want their visual approach this year to become a trend.

At first viewing this year, I was struck by how it reminded me so much of an indoor show, and I’ve not been one to call other recent changes, such as costumes, staging and props, “too WGI.”  But this visual look, with the whole package being so compressed in the front part of the field has really disappointed me. All the movement being focused on positioning people to work with the props really does seem WGI, or Blast! - the latter especially with the minimalist riser design and urban costuming.

One thing I love about drum corps, even with all the changes of the past decade, is the expansive, larger-than-life visual spectacles. I think if you squish that all down you end up with a more fundamental change than different key horns and electronics.

One day, housing and financial factors may make reducing the footprint of everything to be the best possible way forward, but we aren’t there yet, so let’s keep seeing new ways of using the 100 yards. It’s just too much fun.

The show makes perfect sense and the micro drill in the beginning is amazing! The judges agree!!! 

is it just me or is crown the one moving the most? i feel like their always going at 180+ except for the ballad. i dunno might just be me though 

(they also cover the most field imo)

To confer the moniker of non-movement on this years obvious champion is insane.

2 hours ago, Minimaster said:

Listen to the Field Pass. actually says that they wanted the show to be more of a stage production.

This is the crux of what bothers me about the direction of the activity.  Take the words sets props costumes staging acts and scenes and you can see that it's these frustrated drum Corps designers who are Broadway and movie designers/creator wannabe s we're stuck with them trying  anything and everything.  If that's what you want  no problem Great  go create your own activity or circuit and leave this one alone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Honestly, I'm more impressed with the visual programs from 25+ years ago than I am with most of the top shows from the past 3 years. 

I thought BD's visual program last year was lacking in movement across the field. This year, I kind of feel the same about SCV, but I still somewhat enjoy what they are doing....still not as impressed as I was with their '99 co-championship or last year's show. 

Edited by Tupid_06
  • Like 2