I never want to hear that BD doesn’t move enough again

Just because BD moves more this year doesen't mean they weren't the "Park and Blow Devils" in they past. Im glad they are moving more. Still good, just moving more.

1 minute ago, boxingfred said:

Just because BD moves more this year doesen't mean they weren't the "Park and Blow Devils" in they past. Im glad they are moving more. Still good, just moving more.

Simply moving more does not equal more demand or content. It’s not that simple. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Simply moving more does not equal more demand or content. It’s not that simple.  

What exactly constitutes "more demand" and "more content" is one of the most subjective things in this activity.

I hear more often than not that BD has an "easier" show because they don't have the demand or content that another corps has. Everyone just has different opinions on what is "hard" it seems.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I care about effect, design and entertainment above all else. Yes SCV has less field coverage than other corps, but that is not indicative of demand, content or effectiveness. I love the show. It’s so well designed. If a production is this well designed I don’t care how much field is utilized or how demanding a program is (although I think Vanguard’s show is exceptionally demanding). It’s all about design and effect. If you nail that then little else matters. The only two corps who nailed it this year are SCV and BD. 

But don’t you all see what’s happening here? What the big story here is? Be prepared to face your future. Indoors. That’s where this activity is headed. Indoors. Say goodbye to football fields and hello to gymnasiums. 

This attitude is why I can't stand DCI anymore.  My local middle school can march in a 30 yard square and be world class at it.  Winning a DCI title is supposed to be about near perfect execution of the most difficult, most entertaining design.  If you had the design, but couldn't execute it, you lost points.  If you perfectly executed a weak design, you lost points.  Blue Devils started this in the mid 70's, Cadets took over in the '80's and Cavies in the 2000's.  The difficulty was in the amount of marching, the speed, the precision of hitting forms, and the level of excellence of playing difficult (but enjoyable) music while doing it.  Now it's about dancing and wiggling and emoting while barely marching and playing.  It's pathetic.

I gave up on drum corps last fall and only came back this spring after hearing Hoppy got outed.  I feared what has been going on unspoken in virtually every organization for decades would be the downfall of the activity I used to cherish.  Nope, that's not what's killed it.  DCI killed itself by allowing failed Broadway choreographers to mutate the sport until it's unwatchable.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I care about effect, design and entertainment above all else. Yes SCV has less field coverage than other corps, but that is not indicative of demand, content or effectiveness. I love the show. It’s so well designed. If a production is this well designed I don’t care how much field is utilized or how demanding a program is (although I think Vanguard’s show is exceptionally demanding). It’s all about design and effect. If you nail that then little else matters. The only two corps who nailed it this year are SCV and BD. Bluecoats nearly did  I may change my opinion on that in the future because their show has really grown on me over the course of the season  

But don’t you all see what’s really happening here? What the big story here is? Be prepared to face your future. Indoors. That’s where this activity is headed. Indoors. Say goodbye to football fields and hello to gymnasium floors. Vanguard proved a compact show could be designed, achieved, and received at the absolute highest levels. Buckle up, Scotty. This is only the beginning. 

I most certainly hope not.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

This thread is hysterical

It's approaching maximum DCP isn't it?

5 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

This attitude is why I can't stand DCI anymore.  My local middle school can march in a 30 yard square and be world class at it.  Winning a DCI title is supposed to be about near perfect execution of the most difficult, most entertaining design.  If you had the design, but couldn't execute it, you lost points.  If you perfectly executed a weak design, you lost points.  Blue Devils started this in the mid 70's, Cadets took over in the '80's and Cavies in the 2000's.  The difficulty was in the amount of marching, the speed, the precision of hitting forms, and the level of excellence of playing difficult (but enjoyable) music while doing it.  Now it's about dancing and wiggling and emoting while barely marching and playing.  It's pathetic.

I gave up on drum corps last fall and only came back this spring after hearing Hoppy got outed.  I feared what has been going on unspoken in virtually every organization for decades would be the downfall of the activity I used to cherish.  Nope, that's not what's killed it.  DCI killed itself by allowing failed Broadway choreographers to mutate the sport until it's unwatchable.

Unwatchable by whom? Clearly, the activity isn’t hurting for fans, and drum corps aren’t hurting for auditions.

Also, to your first point, if you really think your local middle school can march any of the top 3’s drill alone, you’ve lost your mind, but more importantly, you’re ignoring the fact that your local middle school (and every other corps or marching unit outside of the top 3) could never hope to attempt every other visual demand that’s being placed on the performers. To ignore the insane visual demand placed on SCV’s members because their drill doesn’t stretch from 100 to 100 is to bury your head in the sand. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Everyone just has different opinions on what is "hard" it seems.

Exactly. And the only ones that matter are those of the judges. 

4 hours ago, RedJazz1900 said:

This is funny, because over the last decade BD has helped revolutionize how drum corps are scored when it comes to visual design, and this is evident in their dominance since 2007. Yet in this instance, I feel like SCV is beating BD at their own game, and other corps are getting pretty darn close as well.

So to complain about SCV in regards to a perceived lack of visual demand is funny, because that absolutely acknowledges the fact that this entire “game” was created by BD.

For the record, I have ZERO issues with how BD and now SCV/other corps decide to utilize this visual concept.

This

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MikeBD said:

I have always had great respect for other corps but this show is beyond easy considering how talented the performers are. 

"Behind easy...?"  Listen to this a few times.  The music is probably not my cup of tea but I admit it has grown on me. (you have to watch it on Youtube)

This would be difficult to play sitting down, much less moving frontwards, sideways and backwards.  And understand the baris in the ballad are 60 yards apart (might be 40 yards, tough either way to get perfectly).

Edited by wvu80