I never want to hear that BD doesn’t move enough again

6 minutes ago, MikeBD said:

Don’t have time to read thru everything at finals. Bluecoats at least stretch the field.  In my 33 years following this activity the vanguard show (great music) is the worst show ever to win.  The lack of stretching the field is a joke.  The drumline barely moves after the opening 

When everyone follows this crap and condenses the field look no further than this farce of a show.  Uttterly disappointing.

If Crown or costs played this no one would have any hearing left.  

world-s-smallest-violin-550x535.jpg

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Who cares who marches the most or has the most demand or covers the most field?

The rest of your comments in that post are sage, as usual, but, well, anyone can say "Who cares?" about anything that someone else likes about drum corps.

• Like 1

I haven't read most of this thread yet, so my apologies if this was already mentioned, but as  I mentioned in the Finals thread, I did pull out the stopwatch tonight for BD and SCV to find out how much each corps brass plays while on the move:

BD -- 3 min. 55 sec.

SCV -- 3 min. 48 sec.

So they play-while-moving about the same.

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I haven't read most of this thread yet, so my apologies if this was already mentioned, but as  I mentioned in the Finals thread, I did pull out the stopwatch tonight for BD and SCV to find out how much each corps brass plays while on the move:

BD -- 3 min. 55 sec.

SCV -- 3 min. 48 sec.

So they play-while-moving about the same.

They both don’t move and play enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I believe that the one corps to do BD visual + the visual we all want = Crown 2015. But they lost to BD, so everyone changed it up to be less DCI and more BD + BOA. It almost didn’t happen, but with Bloo winning with hella electronics, and BD always placing so high in GE... what are the other corps gonna do? 

Either way I’m still enjoying DCI.  

• Like 1

Oh lordy the amount of salt in this thread is something else. 

As others pointed out, this is the direction the activity has been going... For years. In large part following BD's lead in design, but of course influenced by similar and related activities like WGI and BOA. And while you can say "well if you like that stuff go watch that and leave me my dci like it was in x year" its just so silly. The activity has always evolved. It cannot rewind. It may some day come back around where drill is a bigger focal point, its hard to predict that. A decade ago you could not have imagined SCV's show, but here we are. 

We are entering a new era of dci, if you want to identify things by eras. And while there are some individuals that can try to guide the direction of the activity through innovation, most of this will still be happening outside of dci itself.

But lets keep in mind that SCV made this show, that seems to have personally offended some people in this thread, with several legends of the activity on their staff. The same Gaines that was foundational to the cavies success in the prior decade was also, seemingly, what SCV needed to push its design over the top over the last couple years. One of the things Gaines was always able to do at the Cavies was make things look way harder than they actually were to execute. He does the same thing now, but tooling the design to new concepts of difficulty. 

At the end of the day, the champion is (generally) excellent technically and has a show that has the "it" factor. Sometimes more of one than the other.  If the activity is headed towards a heavier focus on keeping the corps between the 25s and in the front half of the field, those are the same rules all the corps are going to have to play by (if they want to compete at the highest levels). Performance and excellence is still how the champion is determined. That's how it always has been, and as long as there are performances to judge it will continue to be so. 

I think i ranted enough. Goodnight

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

BD -- 3 min. 55 sec.  SCV -- 3 min. 48 sec.      So they play-while-moving about the same.

If you get the DVD for this year, you can come up with their average speed or PBM while moving.