I never want to hear that BD doesn’t move enough again

34 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Not compared to playing while marching.

It is the kids that get the most out of an activity they are paying to do. Who cares what any of us thinks. If this activity has passed some folks by years ago, what's the point of still being around and acting like sick puppies? You had you had your dci, let them have theirs. The true measure of the arts is financial viability are the stands emptying out no. 

Marching is not what they are even attempting to do. Marching does not prepare a musician for a future in music, do these kids owe us anything, no.

What they are doing is performing for an audience, gaining experience for future performances. They are not just puppets for us to kick around. If that's where your head is at fine but your dci is not coming back and paled in comparison to what's on the field today

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

It is the kids that get the most out of an activity they are paying to do. Who cares what any of us thinks. If this activity has passed some folks by years ago, what's the point of still being around and acting like sick puppies? You had you had your dci, let them have theirs. The true measure of the arts is financial viability are the stands emptying out no. 

Marching is not what they are even attempting to do. Marching does not prepare a musician for a future in music, do these kids owe us anything, no.

What they are doing is performing for an audience, gaining experience for future performances. They are not just puppets for us to kick around. If that's where your head is at fine but your dci is not coming back and paled in comparison to what's on the field today

I was also going to post something to the effect of how that smartly-tempered visual demand allowed many 2018 hornlines to play more difficult material, making it a more enjoyable season for me.  But I did not want to wander off point.  My bad.

Ironically, for years and years, we heard so many complaints about Corps doing more visuals over the music being played. That the music was being written as an afterthought, an adjunct, to the drill writing. They wanted  more of their " park and bark" music moments to return. Well,  now Corps are in fact doing more stationary playing, more of the old styled " park and bark ", but now increasingly on vertical, heightened props. I heard more brass solos from the medalist Corps here in 2018 being played than in any recent memory. I'm hearing increasing melodies & harmony than before... and if you like trumpet " screamers ", when was the last time we heard a Corps ( BD ) feature  " screamers " in their shows like the last 2 seasons ? The high velocity drills are still evident, but nowhere near the levels we used to see from the medalist Corps. The Music seemingly IS returning, and being rewarded on the sheets moreso the last couple of years.  For just one example of what I'm referring to, none of the medalists shows this season looked, nor sounded anything remotely like the Cadets DCI winning 2011 show " Angels & Demons ", imo. There were few props in that show, few " park & bark ":, few brass soloists, few trumpet " screamers ". It was a winning show built primarily on outstanding Visuals and Guard, with full field coverages.. and high velocity drill pattern creations mostly throughout their winning show. Not a lot of " melody " in the music.. certainly not compared anyway to the melody heard in the music of the medalists of earlier this month, imo. So those that like " screamers ",  and " park and bark ", and more " melody/ harmony " in the music,  and  " lots of brass and/ or percussionist soloists " in their  shows, but they believe they are not getting these things lately, then they must be watching/ listening to different medalist shows the last 2 seasons  than I and some others are.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

The visual game has changed and most caught up with BD in the smoke and mirrors department

30 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I was also going to post something to the effect of how that smartly-tempered visual demand allowed many 2018 hornlines to play more difficult material, making it a more enjoyable season for me.  But I did not want to wander off point.  My bad.

dci today is a complicated thing, in many ways hard to vocalize likes & dislikes w/o soul searching is this the real message I want to send. I may read into things too much?

There is no other type of entertainment where the musicians are paying over a100% more to be there than the fans. They must have reasons and purposes to do that. I doubt it's making sure they follow a cookie-cutter approach of the past. To that end, I extend all the latitude in the world to them to put on a show of their choice, they are paying for it, At dci money does not only talk, it provides wonderful music and visual and a lot of other virtues that can't be counted.

On 8/19/2018 at 10:29 AM, MikeBD said:

The only thing I can think of is that DCI wants to move into basketball arenas and the judges were informed of this.  I for one won't be a part of it.  You guys can fall in love with an inferior product all you want but for SCV to win high everything with that show was an embarrassment.  They might as well of just played in concert formation right in front of the microphones.

Literally the worst winning show in the last 33 years.

I absolutely think that's where the activity is headed. I've said that before.

It's not the worst winning show in the last 33 years. Far from it. It was absolutely brilliant and they got the credit they deserved. The design fit the theme perfectly. That's all I care about. Field coverage doesn't mean diddly to me. I'm glad not every show is the same, and again, more field converage doesn't translate into more effect or greater demand. It was plently challenging. I know I couldn't march it. Lastly, I rather hear SCV's show in a stand still than watch any other show this year with the exception of BD and Bloo. Truth be told, I found 1/2 of the top 12 shows boring.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Truth be told, I found 1/2 of the top 12 shows boring.

Maybe a little more than 1/2 for me and there are different levels of boring, 50% is a good year in my book there were years where dci was more of a reunion, still came back for more like most of us do. Give me 50% at dca and I'm ecstatic there are all different interruptions of a bad day of fishing.   

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 9:24 PM, MikeBD said:

While SCV has a very entertaining show I swear there are brass members that never go to the back half of the field or outside of the 25.

Im convinced that people are just tired of BD winning. If Crown played SCVs show you might not have any hearing left.  In my 32 years of watching finals (BD won me over in 86) I have not disliked a winning show til now.  I have always had great respect for other corps but this show is beyond easy considering how talented the performers are.

Flame away.

Who won the Ott sir? Mic drop!  And as far as field coverage, watch the "my body is a cage" solos. From 20 yd line to 20 yd line w/ plenty of fill and guard. They just move so slick, you weren't able to comprehend it. The judges did. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2018 at 9:25 PM, MikeBD said:

Don’t have time to read thru everything at finals. Bluecoats at least stretch the field.  In my 33 years following this activity the vanguard show (great music) is the worst show ever to win.  The lack of stretching the field is a joke.  The drumline barely moves after the opening 

When everyone follows this crap and condenses the field look no further than this farce of a show.  Uttterly disappointing.

If Crown or costs played this no one would have any hearing left.  

jeeezus you are one bitter bozo

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 12:12 PM, MikeBD said:

You nailed it.  If crown played SCVs show none of us at finals would have any hearing left.

Wake up. Crown has a rich, and great brass sound, but if you think they weren't mic'd...you're nuts. They had 2 double subs on each side and 4 full range on top of them. 

• Like 2