I never want to hear that BD doesn’t move enough again

I've spent most of my drum corps time on the DCA side... and I gotta be honest, if there is a circuit that would benefit greatly from an emphasis on staging, visual support of the music book, etc., and a de-emphasis on "run and gun" drills it would be DCA, with the limited time commitment on the all-age side.

Not taking anything away from the current DCI visual direction... but the DCI corps, with their "every day" time commitment, are well-suited for fast-paced, high-demand visual shows.

Whether the pendulum swings one way or another for DCI visual programming in the years to come, who knows.

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Vanguard absolutely deserves to win this year. 

But if you tell me any of the top 3 marches more than BD this year, I will laugh at you 

Bluecoats maybe (I think they are about even), but if you really watch SCV, there is some portion of the corps marching for about 80% of the show. It's just not the whole corps at once.

2 hours ago, dbc03 said:

They aren't literally never marching and playing, but much of their marching and playing is an illusion. 3/4ths of the corps will be running around like mad while the other 1/4th is standing still and playing or *maybe* marching 8 to 5 across the field.

At one point (I think in the ballad?) you could tell exactly when different sections came in because they stopped running and went into a slow 8 to 5 lateral slide across the field.

If someone wasn't paying attention it may look demanding but it was an illusion

Exactly. BD is brilliant about how they mask this, but it is a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

and look at last night's recaps. VP....performer number over book. VA....same. only guard has the book over performer, and it's .1. Ge had one of them performance under rep. Brass and MA are the sheets that hurt, because the musical performance isn't up to what it should be with the demands.

Now that said....demand isn't just running and gunning. and BD has shown for a decade that if you show a skill once and do it really well, why continue to beat the crowd over the head with it? You don't get bonus points for doing something a dozen times. 

Demand also isn't doing the same shoulder shimmy for the nth year in a row.

12 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Bluecoats maybe (I think they are about even), but if you really watch SCV, there is some portion of the corps marching for about 80% of the show. It's just not the whole corps at once.

I've been watching SCV and BD all season, they have my favorite shows this year. I stand by it

• Like 2

11 hours ago, turntpapa said:

is it just me or is crown the one moving the most? i feel like their always going at 180+ except for the ballad. i dunno might just be me though 

(they also cover the most field imo)

Almost all of the first half of the show is around 160 or below. I don't have a problem with that though. I'm enjoying the tempo variations across all the corps.

I care about effect, design and entertainment above all else. Yes SCV has less field coverage than other corps, but that is not indicative of demand, content or effectiveness. I love the show. It’s so well designed. If a production is this well designed I don’t care how much field is utilized or how demanding a program is (although I think Vanguard’s show is exceptionally demanding). It’s all about design and effect. If you nail that then little else matters. The only two corps who nailed it this year are SCV and BD. Bluecoats nearly did  I may change my opinion on that in the future because their show has really grown on me over the course of the season  

But don’t you all see what’s really happening here? What the big story here is? Be prepared to face your future. Indoors. That’s where this activity is headed. Indoors. Say goodbye to football fields and hello to gymnasium floors. Vanguard proved a compact show could be designed, achieved, and received at the absolute highest levels. Buckle up, Scotty. This is only the beginning. 

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 3