I never want to hear that BD doesn’t move enough again

14 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

This attitude is why I can't stand DCI anymore.  My local middle school can march in a 30 yard square and be world class at it.  Winning a DCI title is supposed to be about near perfect execution of the most difficult, most entertaining design.  If you had the design, but couldn't execute it, you lost points.  If you perfectly executed a weak design, you lost points.  Blue Devils started this in the mid 70's, Cadets took over in the '80's and Cavies in the 2000's.  The difficulty was in the amount of marching, the speed, the precision of hitting forms, and the level of excellence of playing difficult (but enjoyable) music while doing it.  Now it's about dancing and wiggling and emoting while barely marching and playing.  It's pathetic.

I gave up on drum corps last fall and only came back this spring after hearing Hoppy got outed.  I feared what has been going on unspoken in virtually every organization for decades would be the downfall of the activity I used to cherish.  Nope, that's not what's killed it.  DCI killed itself by allowing failed Broadway choreographers to mutate the sport until it's unwatchable.

I loved those days. I still have to scrap my jaw off the floor after watching 2000 Cadets or any number of shows. But I would argue today’s top shows are equally demanding but in a different way. The activity had evolved, like it or not, and I don’t like all the changes. But I can tell you I get the same great feeling watch Vanguard 2018 as i did watching ‘93 Star and ‘00 Cadets. 

And no, your local middle school marching band could not. Nor could any university marching band. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

If a production is this well designed I don’t care how much field is utilized or how demanding a program is (although I think Vanguard’s show is exceptionally demanding). It’s all about design and effect. If you nail that then little else matters.

Using the entire field creates strong environmental challenges for the performers.  Creating those challenges is an integral part of the medium.  

Demand absolutely matters.  Otherwise there's no basis for competition.  Doing hard things well is what the activity is about.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hostrauser said:

The Blue Devils have very effectively codified THEIR visual style into the visual sheets, so in that the ONLY way to get good visual scores in DCI is to do it the Blue Devils way. Don't get salty because Vanguard is beating them at their own game this year.

Pretty much.

BD couldn't possibly think they would be the only ones doing it forever, could they? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Let's take it too the top 6 even.  I don't need to rehash the top 2...we all know how BD moves and plays and the OP does have some validity. I will say though that SCV has the best staging for big moments I have ever seen. BDs props were more in the way.

BLOO was running and playing a lot in their show last year (which was nuts) but this year they don't seem to be moving as much. Okay so I have my eyes closed and am in the moment for the back half of their show.

Crown has been slammed for visuals all year. They don't move fast or a lot and they aren't all that great at marching and movement.

Cavaliers do run when they aren't playing.

Boston clearly has the best overall visual package this year. Good footwork, great movement, a lot of movement. Good use of props and great formations.

Going to give an HM for the Cadets and hoping for something that looks like the old Cadets uniforms back. PS such class with Cadets field entrance.

I come from a time where there was so much marching and movement that music was secondary so I love the few shows that have both.

The culprit is not necessarily BD although they were the trendsetters. The culprit is the axing of marching and movement on the sheets. 

Couldn't agree more!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Let's take it too the top 6 even.  I don't need to rehash the top 2...we all know how BD moves and plays and the OP does have some validity. I will say though that SCV has the best staging for big moments I have ever seen. BDs props were more in the way.

BLOO was running and playing a lot in their show last year (which was nuts) but this year they don't seem to be moving as much. Okay so I have my eyes closed and am in the moment for the back half of their show.

Crown has been slammed for visuals all year. They don't move fast or a lot and they aren't all that great at marching and movement.

Cavaliers do run when they aren't playing.

Boston clearly has the best overall visual package this year. Good footwork, great movement, a lot of movement. Good use of props and great formations.

Going to give an HM for the Cadets and hoping for something that looks like the old Cadets uniforms back. PS such class with Cadets field entrance.

I come from a time where there was so much marching and movement that music was secondary so I love the few shows that have both.

The culprit is not necessarily DB although they were the trendsetters. The culprit is the axing of marching and movement on the sheets.

Many people who've taken issue with BD for this were concerned that because they were rewarded by the judges for doing it, other corps would follow.

So here we are today experiencing this trend. 

50 minutes ago, karuna said:

Using the entire field creates strong environmental challenges for the performers.  Creating those challenges is an integral part of the medium.  

Demand absolutely matters.  Otherwise there's no basis for competition.  Doing hard things well is what the activity is about.  

Right...but so does moving the field into the vertical landscape, which is what Bloo pioneered in '16. You can't pretend entire field coverage is the only form of environmental demand that can be placed on performers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karuna said:

Not if your goal is to create a show with the absolute minimum "exposure to error."