2019 Phantom Regiment

44 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

I think some of you are over-thinking the topic. The problem is that PR's programs the last few years can all be best summed up by the word "dull."

It doesn't matter WHAT they play in the years ahead - they just have to program with at least a few moments that are so in-your-face cool that audiences will pay attention. The general vibe of late has been going for "artistic" rather than impactful, and they have the scores to show it. SCV shows how to be artistic while still being showy, in the right way - in fact, pretty much everyone in the top 6 this year did the same thing (and all of them except BD and Bluecoats played at least some pieces that would nominally be in PR's musical wheelhouse).

Doesn't matter who's on staff; if they approach their first design meeting with the concept of "ok, what are the big GE moments of the show?" (and understand that simply putting 15 people or whatever on quads doesn't qualify), they'll already be off to a better start.

Well, to be fair I would HATE to see PR become like other corps and be another ADHD of marching music.  Be different and for heavens sake put your helmets back on and quit being a lemming and start being a leader.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Well, to be fair I would HATE to see PR become like other corps and be another ADHD of marching music.  Be different and for heavens sake put your helmets back on and quit being a lemming and start being a leader.

Their show design this year and last year had no through-thought that was discernible or interesting. Putting helmets on or taking them off would make no difference to an audience whose eyes are already glazed over. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

I think you're all over-thinking the topic. The problem is that PR's programs the last few years can all be best summed up by the word "dull."

I would agree, not just me but long time avid fans of Phantom who I became good friends with through the years. Just sit in the stands on their hands giving up. Even though I raved about Phantom early on this season. These are the easiest people to please at dci. To them, it is Drum Corps music and for years didn't realize or care it was long hair. Lately, the long hair issue has become a big thing for these folks, What changed? I am not qualified to discuss that.

What I notice is the lack of dynamic range in the arrangements lately. Not providing the MMs an opportunity to put an emphasis on their emotions. In the past, the lowest of lows translated into the highs ripping your face off. Now everything seems so monotone just going through the motions.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

What I notice is the lack of dynamic range in the arrangements lately. Not providing the MMs an opportunity to put an emphasis on their emotions. In the past, the lowest of lows translated into the highs ripping your face off. Now everything seems so monotone just going through the motions.

You just hit the nail on the head here. I have not had a emotional, goosebumps-filled reaction to anything Phantom has done since maybe the end of their 2013 ballad. Meanwhile, the Boston Crusaders, for example, have given me more emotional reactions in the last two seasons than Phantom has given me in the last six.

PR needs to start their design process by looking at themes and musical selections that can evoke a strong emotional response while also fitting the drum corps idiom. If anything they consider doesn't fit this criterion, go back to the drawing board.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Their show design this year and last year had no through-thought that was discernible or interesting. Putting helmets on or taking them off would make no difference to an audience whose eyes are already glazed over. 

Perhaps, but seeing the uniforms when they wore the helmets vs not, big visual difference.  Oh, I agree about the show.

2 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Perhaps, but seeing the uniforms when they wore the helmets vs not, big visual difference.  Oh, I agree about the show.

I am such an old timer that the visual is developed from the music. If the music does not grab me then there could be a 3 ring circus going on and it would not phase me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

I have a feeling this is not :biggrin: true

It may be true. No madder how much I twist my true feelings and thoughts so not to literally take up the space of a real dinosaur today. Music is one thing that is sacred.  

• Haha 1

2018 show was like a casserole (mush food) made with a big bowl of mushroom soup.  Hopefully next year they will come up with a great 5 course meal with each course presenting something wonderfully defined and unique.

Edited by EricS
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, EricS said:

2018 show was like a casserole (mush food) made with a big bowl of mushroom soup.  Hopefully next year they will come up with a great 5 course meal with each course presenting something wonderfully defined and unique.

Is this the Crown thread with talk of ribs and beasts or Cadets thread with gatorade and zebracake?. You've made me hungry.