2019 Phantom Regiment

27 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Regiment went with "difficult drill" once in recent memory, and it resulted in a show on the all-time favorite lists of many - Myron Rosander wrote the crazy drill in 2010.

Another one of those shows that I really liked at the time, but is now one of my all time favorites...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Not sure but I certainly hope so. Look at the visual design in 2016 and this year and it's just night and day 

yes it would be wonderful to return his genius to the activity. But remember when he left SCV, he stated that his goal was to be a father and husband first. Now who's going to leave a spouse and potential two year old to spend ten weeks of luxurious touring?  However, Rockford is closer to his home and Mt. Prospect than San Jose, I mean Santa Clara is.

8 hours ago, Who's on first? said:

Scrolling through stuff about SCV... there was discussion about whether or not Pete Weber will or will not return to replace Michael Gaines at Vanguard. Gets me thinking, Vanguard’s drill with Weber was awesome!!!! Imagine if Phantom was able to get him on staff! Thoughts? Is this foreseeable or not likely at all?

Would Weber's visual style mesh with Phantom, though? Can't see Phantom in the bicycle step...

There's another corps slightly closer to home for him, though...one he happened to be a member of...that already bicycle steps...

I'm not saying Weber to Cavies is a definite. But I think Weber to Cavies would be a better fit than Weber to Phantom.

• Like 1

1996 watch finals clearly bicycle step.  Seeing Phantom get away from straight leg technique would IMHO be a "step" in the right direction. :P

51 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

1996 watch finals clearly bicycle step.  Seeing Phantom get away from straight leg technique would IMHO be a "step" in the right direction. :P

I mean, they'll be looking for a new visual caption head anyway...

1 hour ago, ftwdrummer said:

Would Weber's visual style mesh with Phantom, though? Can't see Phantom in the bicycle step...

There's another corps slightly closer to home for him, though...one he happened to be a member of...that already bicycle steps...

I'm not saying Weber to Cavies is a definite. But I think Weber to Cavies would be a better fit than Weber to Phantom.

Well why not change? The same argument that Will Pitts presented (during the season premier broadcast) for getting rid of the helmets could be applied here. Why did they not use helmets? “Well we asked ourselves ‘what is the purpose of the helmets? Or are they just there for the sake of being there’ “. Obviously they decided that the helmets had no purpose. The same could be said about marching technique. I don’t seriously think that vanguard would gain or lose points by switching techniques, why not Phantom??? Heck, even changing techniques halfway through the show could add points for difficulty for the corps members having to learn and clean two techniques. The gist of it is... why not??

1 hour ago, Who's on first? said:

Well why not change? The same argument that Will Pitts presented (during the season premier broadcast) for getting rid of the helmets could be applied here. Why did they not use helmets? “Well we asked ourselves ‘what is the purpose of the helmets? Or are they just there for the sake of being there’ “. Obviously they decided that the helmets had no purpose. The same could be said about marching technique. I don’t seriously think that vanguard would gain or lose points by switching techniques, why not Phantom??? Heck, even changing techniques halfway through the show could add points for difficulty for the corps members having to learn and clean two techniques. The gist of it is... why not??

If you watched V8 closely this season, you''ll see that Vanguard used 3 different styles of marching at different parts of the show depending on what the music called for and the what the visual designer was hoping to achieve. Vanguard '18 had the best feet I've seen on the field for awhile, well trained, well implemented. That's why they won the Brazale and the Gold.

Why are there only "straight-leg" and "bicycle" style techniques?   Both look grotesquely exaggerated.  I don't get the appeal.  

How about a motion that is natural for the body?   Why cause hip injuries, or look like you're avoiding poop piles in the yard?

...glad I got that off my chest.  Thanks for listening.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, c mor said:

Why are there only "straight-leg" and "bicycle" style techniques?   Both look grotesquely exaggerated.  I don't get the appeal.  

How about a motion that is natural for the body?   Why cause hip injuries, or look like you're avoiding poop piles in the yard?

...glad I got that off my chest.  Thanks for listening.

Blue Knights tried something like that a few years ago and imho it looked even more ridiculous.  There are pros and  cons to any technique but the real chance of injury comes when they are exaggerated to the extreme.  You can teach a "straight leg" technique that looks very strong but is ultimately very relaxed if the group is properly conditioned and knows which muscles to engage.  There are a lot more moving parts in a "bicycle" style technique and you need time and more mature group to teach and clean it...the ultimate reason more groups do not use it.