2019 Phantom Regiment

2 hours ago, cavies79 said:

The brass sound that we all connect to Phantom was missing for the past few years.  The music has lacked the GE that other corps have.  This definitely impacts the visual design, as well as the guard choreography.  There is so much classical and contemporary music that the corps could perform and be successful with.  I do agree that a consultant with much experience needs to come in and help guide the design team.  As somebody posted earlier, Howard Weinstein is available.  He has a proven track record.  There are a few other corps trying to knock Regiment out of the finals spot (Spirit, Colts, Scouts, etc.), if things don't improve. Good luck Regiment! Make the correct decisions.

I agree. I don't understand the thought process in Rockford. We all have the examples right in front of us on what it takes to win, and Regiment is significantly behind on all fronts. They, and Madison, are being out designed by their peers and by corps that placed beneath them last year. I would think a lot of top corps would have been paying attention to what's happening with Madison and try to avoid it. Apparently, that's not the case for Regiment.

Since 2012, their designs have gotten progressively worse - year by year, and their placements are reflecting that. When you look at how sloppy the entire design of the 2018 production was, musically and visually, it is very worrisome. There's not one second in that show where I am not questioning some design choice. Furthermore, the attempt to seemingly distance 2018 New World Symphony from 1989 New World Symphony is very troublesome. The 1989 show worked exceptionally well on all fronts, but the music was just triumphant - passionate, exciting, beautiful, moving.... They really transformed that piece of music into a pretty dull and boring one, which I wouldn't have thought possible.

I do not expect Regiment to make finals in 2019. I'm not even quite sure if I agree with them making finals in 2018.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I agree. I don't understand the thought process in Rockford. We all have the examples right in front of us on what it takes to win, and Regiment is significantly behind on all fronts. They, and Madison, are being out designed by their peers and by corps that placed beneath them last year. I would think a lot of top corps would have been paying attention to what's happening with Madison and try to avoid it. Apparently, that's not the case for Regiment.

Since 2012, their designs have gotten progressively worse - year by year, and their placements are reflecting that. When you look at how sloppy the entire design of the 2018 production was, musically and visually, it is very worrisome. There's not one second in that show where I am not questioning some design choice. Furthermore, the attempt to seemingly distance 2018 New World Symphony from 1989 New World Symphony is very troublesome. The 1989 show worked exceptionally well on all fronts, but the music was just triumphant - passionate, exciting, beautiful, moving.... They really transformed that piece of music into a pretty dull and boring one, which I wouldn't have thought possible.

I do not expect Regiment to make finals in 2019. I'm not even quite sure if I agree with them making finals in 2018.

This +1.  IMHO Visual was the least of their problems.  The music was just not there.  How you get NWS out of that arrangement...just no.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

This +1.  IMHO Visual was the least of their problems.  The music was just not there. 

Also concurred. Phantom Regiment has never been cutting edge visually. They've been competent and made up for it musically. That's not a bad formula to get out of 11th...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Also concurred. Phantom Regiment has never been cutting edge visually. They've been competent and made up for it musically. That's not a bad formula to get out of 11th...

well they did win visual a bunch in the late 70's

16 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

This +1.  IMHO Visual was the least of their problems.  The music was just not there.  How you get NWS out of that arrangement...just no.

I think visual was as big of a problem as the music ways. It was just all so poorly designed and sloppy. The props made little sense and they didn't do anything interesting with them. Some of the drill was ok, but the guard staging at times didn't make sense, nor did the tarp, no did the guard work with the percussion line. If you do something like that it has to be cool and dangerous even. Awe-inspiring. It was pretty remedial and basic guard work.

No, visual hasn't always been their strong point, but over the course of most of their history I didn't find much to complain about with regards to them visually. I believe they last won visual in '89 and they did win GE visual in 2006, which I don't agree with, but I also don't agree with them not winning GE music in 2006.

1 hour ago, churchboy said:

I feel our visual won't be any better this year, I was just looking at the drill writer, he was Madisons drill writer the past 2 years

Really? That's frightening. 

4 hours ago, MikeN said:

40 years ago...

Mike

i was trying to find SOMETHING POSITIVE

• Like 2