2019 Phantom Regiment

If limited creativity is really the issue here, and has been for some time, and changing the program coordinator (show producer) hasn’t improved things much, then whoever is responsible for hiring the program coordinator (the process, system and / or personnel)  should be re-evaluated and also changed.  

Change is a slippery slope that often doesn’t involve one or a select few.  It’s a complete makeover.  Think that will happen at PR?  I don’t, not given its current board.  If PR truly wants to leave behind all that made them great and cater to the millennial culture and perform modern, impressionistic shows heavy on theatrics and less on musicality then they will require a complete staff overhaul to one that is avant-garde enough to accomplish it.  Just remember, there are far more PR Phans and alumni out there, with deeper pockets, who remember, appreciate and sponsored far more memorable shows with Elsa, Spartacus, Romeo & Juliet, Dvorak, The Three Tenors, Russians, The Rach., etc. than anything fielded over the past 10 years and especially any show enhanced by electronics.  

Edited by Land_Surfer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tesmusic said:

I’d hardly call the staff choices and music choices thus far for 2019 being risky. Doing Gershwin in 2005, that was risky based on past shows, but what they’re doing currently, seems more like hitting the panic button.

2005 is one of my favorite shows of theirs. In fact, I am wearing a 2005 Regiment tour t-shirt as I type this.

• Like 3

On 3/9/2019 at 11:01 AM, Jeff Ream said:

i get it. i've held back personally

maybe the powers that be need a shove.

On 3/9/2019 at 12:06 PM, year1buick said:

Yeah, I’m keeping my public opinions pretty close to the vest right now. As always, I’m pulling for my corps to knock it out of the park— and sincerely hope they do— but, yeah...kinda holding my breath right now. 

the days of holding one's breath are about to suffocate a lot of people.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 1:17 PM, karuna said:

How sad is it that when discussing visual one the first comments is about props.

Ugh.

So ready for the "props trend" to cycle out (and never come back). 

On 3/9/2019 at 5:39 PM, kdaddy said:

As baffling is how most of the 2018 designers were invited back! 

I'm intrigued by the addition of a Vegas production designer. But as I understand it, his literal first drum corps experience was watching finals week in Indy last year! (!!!) That's risky af.

On 3/9/2019 at 1:17 PM, karuna said:

How sad is it that when discussing visual one the first comments is about props.

Ugh.

So ready for the "props trend" to cycle out (and never come back). 

AMEN!!!!!!

Edited by EricS

On 3/9/2019 at 2:42 PM, karuna said:

Logistics and $$ aside (not that those aren't significant issues in their own right)  I find that the merging of music (with timely staging) and shape/space/motion created by performers is the most rewarding (and unique) aspect of marching music.  Props, lights, in-ear monitors, mics -- IMHO they all dilute that uniqueness in a hopeless attempt to mimic a theater stage.  If you want to be Blast!,  go inside and do Blast! properly.  Trying to do Blast! outdoors is an excellent way to throw away time and money.  </rant over> <back to Phantom> 

could not be better put.  I long for the days of good drill, great music and the excitement that it generates. Put the WGI people back in the gym where they belong.  

• Like 1