2019 Phantom Regiment

On 3/9/2019 at 8:15 PM, Brass Lover said:

You're definitely right, but #### maybe being risky is what Phantom needs to get things going.

On 3/10/2019 at 12:59 PM, queenanne_1536 said:

I agree with this. They were risky in 2004 and 2005. When I watch Crown today and Bluecoats today, I think this should be Regiment and Madison. They've both failed at modernizing without losing their identity. Madison has modernized and lost their identity, Regiment has just failed to modernize. I don't know what's worse.

On 3/9/2019 at 6:59 PM, Terri Schehr said:

I live right down the road from Rockford and Madison is just a bit further up the road.  I would love to see them have success.  But I have to call ‘em like I see ‘em. 

It's really not hard to figure out. Look back at shows like 06, 07, 08, 10.  Look at staff. There you go.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 9:11 AM, phd-student-TTU said:

Slim pickings. Otherwise they’d not have a staff at all. 

Money speaks.  I 'd bet a hundred dollar bill if you put out a call to recruit a top notch staff a lot of people would step up.  I know I would.

On 3/10/2019 at 4:30 PM, Land_Surfer said:

If limited creativity is really the issue here, and has been for some time, and changing the program coordinator (show producer) hasn’t improved things much, then whoever is responsible for hiring the program coordinator (the process, system and / or personnel)  should be re-evaluated and also changed.  

Change is a slippery slope that often doesn’t involve one or a select few.  It’s a complete makeover.  Think that will happen at PR?  I don’t, not given its current board.  If PR truly wants to leave behind all that made them great and cater to the millennial culture and perform modern, impressionistic shows heavy on theatrics and less on musicality then they will require a complete staff overhaul to one that is avant-garde enough to accomplish it.  Just remember, there are far more PR Phans and alumni out there, with deeper pockets, who remember, appreciate and sponsored far more memorable shows with Elsa, Spartacus, Romeo & Juliet, Dvorak, The Three Tenors, Russians, The Rach., etc. than anything fielded over the past 10 years and especially any show enhanced by electronics.  

There are also a lot of alumni and fans who would support a total modernization of the corp to see it competitive.  That is the only way the corps will survive. I"m not trying to knock the kids but it is no big secret that a lot of top not musicians are going else where that would come back to PR under more competitive circumstances.

9 minutes ago, EricS said:

There are also a lot of alumni and fans who would support a total modernization of the corp to see it competitive.  That is the only way the corps will survive. I"m not trying to knock the kids but it is no big secret that a lot of top not musicians are going else where that would come back to PR under more competitive circumstances.

This is true.  The talent thing is an issue if you can't instruct.  Seriously, the amount of playing time (today) if a moderate player can't do by the end of the year, it falls on instruction or lack thereof.  Regiment DIRELY needs brass staff that will start putting some air through the #### horns with a horn book to support it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

Regiment DIRELY needs brass staff that will start putting some air through the #### horns with a horn book to support it.

Have no idea what type of contract Will has, but this could be a key year for his future with PR.

On 3/10/2019 at 11:06 AM, Mello Dude said:

What a second.  Bringing in someone with live show experience can be a great thing.  Their problems have NOTHING to do with "modernization".  If you don't have a show with a strong core AKA music everything else just will fail.  The hoodie thing was just meh.  Now, they do an Assassin's Creed show...hmm?  🙂 Better yet lets do Game of Thrones!  They like death well let me tell you..... 🙂

I disagree. Their problems are with modernization. They made an attempt last year. I think the hoodies was a poor response to the movement away from traditional uniforms. They need to go all in there. Their props were also a problem. The staging wasn't done very well, and they served little purpose. Relative to the rest of the top 16+ last year, their show looked old fashioned to me. 

• Like 1

Seriously, SCV's "costumes" were terribad.  They did NOTHING for the show.  Having a uniform and headgear have NOTHING to do with their placement.  It was a mediocre show at best.  If a show cannot stand on music and drill....it's weak.  Everything else should "add" to the core of the corps.  Working outside in...epic fail.

On 3/11/2019 at 7:38 PM, Ghost said:

Have no idea what type of contract Will has, but this could be a key year for his future with PR.

Surely they were not so stupid as to not write a clause in his contract that would give the corps an out if he does not produce.  Surely???

On 3/10/2019 at 5:51 PM, MikeD said:

2005 is one of my favorite shows of theirs. In fact, I am wearing a 2005 Regiment tour t-shirt as I type this.

Well... I'm not wearing a Phantom t-shirt, but that '05 show is also a favorite of mine!!!  LOL

In particular, the performer portraying the Gene Kelly character did a great job, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1