2019 Phantom Regiment

2 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Thanks for the link. At least the designers are giving newer artists’ music a try. Let’s see how they do with this. I’m excited to see the result. Not ready to write them off as some posters here do year, after year, after year, after year, after year, after year......

I haven't written them off, but it's hard to feel as though they're moving in a forward direction, when they program the same composers and themes year, after year, after year, after year, after year, after year......

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

I haven't written them off, but it's hard to feel as though they're moving in a forward direction, when they program the same composers and themes year, after year, after year, after year, after year, after year......

What’s old is new again....,I don’t recall them playing music of 30 Seconds to Mars before.

Edited by Sutasaurus

2 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

What’s old is new again....

That works when the design is better/fresh and the performance lives up to expectations..:hasn’t really been the case.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2019 at 1:37 PM, tesmusic said:

That works when the design is better/fresh and the performance lives up to expectations..:hasn’t really been the case.

Exactly, since Spartacus nothing they have repeated has been nearly as good as the original. They need fresh music, new music. Not even modern classical music (although Glass's Symphony No. 9 would be cool), but pieces we haven't seen before. The first movement of Schubert's 8th Symphony would be great for them, for example. The 3rd movement of his 4th Symphony. There are Beethoven works that would fit them well. There are Wagner works they haven't done before that would fit them well. Puccini. Verdi. Even Mozart. There's so much great classical music we haven't seen on the field, and they continually go back to what they've done before. It's baffling.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Exactly, since Spartacus nothing they have repeated has been nearly as good as the original. They need fresh music, new music. Not even modern classical music (although Glass's Symphony No. 9 would be cool), but pieces we haven't seen before. The first movement of Schubert's 8th Symphony would be great for them, for example. The 3rd movement of his 4th Symphony. There are Beethoven works that would fit them well. There are Wagner works they haven't done before that would fit them well. Puccini. Verdi. Even Mozart. There's so much great classical music we haven't seen on the field, and they continually go back to what they've done before. It's baffling.

Why should the Regiment be pigeonholed into standard “heavy classical” music? Fans want them to try “new and fresh” music which is why they are exploring something new with Call to Arms. If you recall, Spartacus didn’t rely solely on classical pieces and it worked just fine. Rhapsody was a complete departure from the normal Regiment fare and it became a popular show with fans. Let’s see how the Joan show is put together first before we write them off for the season....in March, mind you.

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

Why should the Regiment be pigeonholed into standard “heavy classical” music? Fans want them to try “new and fresh” music which is why they are exploring something new with Call to Arms. If you recall, Spartacus didn’t rely solely on classical pieces and it worked just fine. Rhapsody was a complete departure from the normal Regiment fare and it became a popular show with fans. Let’s see how the Joan show is put together first before we write them off for the season....in March, mind you.

I would love to see new music, but when they bring back an iconic song such as Fire of Eternal Glory, I have fears, because given each rehash, it hasn’t lived up to past renditions, IMO.

That said, in 2004, 2005, 2010 when they tried newer pieces, I’ve lived them. 

It’s when I hear Nessun Dorma, Elsa’s, Claire, Fire, etc I’m not excited because the earlier renditions are always better than in recent years, and it’s disappointing.

If they were doing a show with ALLnew composers to them, and new pieces, I’d buy in, but for now, with their recent trends, I’m not buying it. Sorry, but Will Pitts has yet to produce what Wren did. 

6 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

That said, in 2004, 2005, 2010 when they tried newer pieces, I’ve lived them

I loved 2010 and to this day think it's the best 6th place show I have experienced. PR has been in a rut and fans / vets are getting anxious and I get that. But this is DCI folks. Let the kids perform the h### out of the show they're given and let the chips fall where they may. Do they need a new designer? Yeah...they do. And when they're ready to make that move, I'm sure they'll be inundated with suggestions (and often demands) from those of us who make up the peanut gallery that is DCP. 

On 3/23/2019 at 8:29 AM, Sutasaurus said:

I never said they had to be pigeonholed into what you oddly refer to as "heavy classical" music. I said they need to stop rehashing pieces they've played in the past every single season. I loved 2004 and 2005, when they gave us something new (for them). It worked. Bear in mind they did Rhapsody in 1976. It worked. Spartacus worked. Scythian Suite worked. They worked because at that time Regiment had a top design team and top talent. They have neither today.

I'm not so sure I'm writing them off either. It depends on how you define writing off. If that definition is 5th place, well then I'm writing them off. If that definition is 8th place, well then I'm writing them off, too. If that definition is 10th place, then I'm not writing them off.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

I would have to agree. Recent rehashes have been big disappointments, nowhere close to the originals. Elsa’s. Nessun Dorma. Makes the prospects of a Fire of Eternal Glory replay shaky. I think that’s all people are saying. I agree. 

• Like 2