2019 Phantom Regiment

1 hour ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Make new classics!

For once I agree w/you. As for rehashes of previously played pieces...Let’s drill this down a little further. People complain that “newer versions” of past classics fall flat. Given today’s arranging styles, you won’t have the emotional impact of the original because the melodic phrases are not given enough time to develop. So to compare yesterday’s Elsa’s, Claire, Fire to today’s versions is an apples to oranges comparo. I personally feel the current trend of arranging is soulless and is geared toward the judging community and not the paying public.

I’m not sitting here with my head in the sand. Does the design and arranging team need to step up? Yes, they do, but I’m hopeful they are building a team that will mature and develop as this season and future seasons unfold. The board must assess where they want to be as an organization and no amount of armchair drum corps experts on DCP will make up their minds for them.

3 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I never said they had to be pigeonholed into what you oddly refer to as "heavy classical" music. I said they need to stop rehashing pieces they've played in the past every single season. I loved 2004 and 2005, when they gave us something new (for them). It worked. Bear in mind they did Rhapsody in 1976. It worked. Spartacus worked. Scythian Suite worked. They worked because at that time Regiment had a top design team and top talent. They have neither today.

I'm not so sure I'm writing them off either. It depends on how you define writing off. If that definition is 5th place, well then I'm writing them off. If that definition is 8th place, well then I'm writing them off, too. If that definition is 10th place, then I'm not writing them off.

Swap out heavy classical for standard classical music.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

For once I agree w/you. As for rehashes of previously played pieces...Let’s drill this down a little further. People complain that “newer versions” of past classics fall flat. Given today’s arranging styles, you won’t have the emotional impact of the original because the melodic phrases are not given enough time to develop. So to compare yesterday’s Elsa’s, Claire, Fire to today’s versions is an apples to oranges comparo. I personally feel the current trend of arranging is soulless and is geared toward the judging community and not the paying public.

I’m not sitting here with my head in the sand. Does the design and arranging team need to step up? Yes, they do, but I’m hopeful they are building a team that will mature and develop as this season and future seasons unfold. The board must assess where they want to be as an organization and no amount of armchair drum corps experts on DCP will make up their minds for them.

Sorry, but that’s an awful excuse for crappy performance. I’ve heard plenty of corps in recent years create emotionally stimulating performances, even with today’s style.

Sorry that PR hasn’t lived up in recent years on their classics, but it’s not just design, it’s performance as well. They don’t have the talent they did in the past, coupled with #### arrangements.  For the love of god though, your attempt to justify how much they’ve slipped, based on modern DCI arranging style is an absurd reach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

Sorry, but that’s an awful excuse for crappy performance. I’ve heard plenty of corps in recent years create emotionally stimulating performances, even with today’s style.

Sorry that PR hasn’t lived up in recent years on their classics, but it’s not just design, it’s performance as well. They don’t have the talent they did in the past, coupled with #### arrangements.  For the love of god though, your attempt to justify how much they’ve slipped, based on modern DCI arranging style is an absurd reach. 

Well we all are entitled to our own opinions aren’t we? For the love of god.... really? So does it make you feel better to berate someone elses’ views? I find that rather pathetic. And your comments about performance are a slap in the face of the marching members.....even more pathetic. How RAMD of you.

Edited by Sutasaurus

6 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Well we all are entitled to our own opinions aren’t we? For the love of god.... really? So does it make you feel better to berate someone elses’ views? I find that rather pathetic. And your comments about performance are a slap in the face of the marching members.....even more pathetic. How RAMD of you.

Aren’t I entitled to my opinion? And really, you truly believe they are performing at the highest level possible? A level comparable to the past? thwg sort of delusion is pathetic, really.

4 hours ago, tesmusic said:

Aren’t I entitled to my opinion? And really, you truly believe they are performing at the highest level possible? A level comparable to the past? thwg sort of delusion is pathetic, really.

Never said you weren’t entitled to your own opinion, I have an issue with how you attack the views of others that you don’t agree with....that’s the pathetic part. Troll on sir/madam.

Edited by Sutasaurus

6 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Never said you weren’t entitled to your own opinion, I have an issue with how you attack the views of others that you don’t agree with....that’s the pathetic part. Troll on sir/madam.

Pot / Kettle. You’re doing the very thing you’re accusing Tes of doing. But maybe that’s just me being an armchair drum corps expert. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

Pot / Kettle. You’re doing the very thing you’re accusing Tes of doing. But maybe that’s just me being an armchair drum corps expert. 

Perhaps. BTW I never ridiculed his/her opinion...just offered an opposing view.

23 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I apologize if you feel as though they're attacks, but I am giving my thoughts on your opinions, as is customary on message boards. That said, you are calling me pathetic and a troll for giving my opinions and thoughts on things going on with PR as well as comments by posters. At no point did I attack your posts, simply posted my thoughts on them, at which time you called me pathetic and a troll, which is odd.

As for stating you never ridiculed, you did. By calling me pathetic and a troll. Maybe before posting as though you've taken some high road, consider your responses to my opinions. Just a thought.

• Like 1

My fear for the Regiment is they are on a downward trajectory that may ultimately take them out of the top 12.

There have been years in the past when they placed much lower than expected but immediately bounced back. However, since 2008 they have placed in the top 3 just once and since that year (2012) they have dropped to 11th place in 6 years.

With recent finalists The Academy & a resurgent Spirit knocking on the top 12 door not to mention The Mandarins mixing it with the big boys, they are in real danger of saying goodbye on the Friday night.

One sincerely hopes not but...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1