2019 Phantom Regiment

I also looked like they were going to use the same props from last year which, if true, would be a mistake. They added nothing last year and the likelihood of that changing this year is extremely remote and (IMO) yet again shows a lack of competitive creativity. I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

Well, that is NOT the direction the activity is going and, what makes you think (looking at their visual programs of late) that they are 'emphasizing' visuals!

1.  I don't care what direction the activity is going, I want more emphasis on music.  Also, get off my lawn!

2. They're definitely emphasizing visuals...they're just not doing it very well.

• Like 1

Show I might be going out on a limb with this one.  Do the events at The Notre Dame Cathedral this week take Phantom Regiment on a whole new path with their show theme? 

Just a thought.

:whistle:

Edited by Old Corps Guy

1 hour ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Show I might be going out on a limb with this one.  Do the events at The Notre Dame Cathedral this week take Phantom Regiment on a whole new path with their show theme? 

Just a thought.

Already did the Paris show and as we all know it went GREAT

1 hour ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Just a thought.

19 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Already did the Paris show and as we all know it went GREAT

Yes, mixed metaphors above. 

Just as a show about the Beach Boys and another about the war of 1776 aren't the same focus, so a show about Paris and another about St. Joan d'Arc (burned to the stake at Rouen, not Paris) aren't the same. (Rouen is where traditionally French kings were crowned except for Napoleon, who in Paris was crowned Emperor, not a "mere" king.)

cf. Will Pitts for the 3 credits in Franco History after Valenzuela has marked your tuition paid.

Edited by xandandl

2 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Just a thought.

It might be a point of consideration, but I don't think it would be an entirely new path. Their initial plan with the Joan show was to include fire as a theme component and symbolism (Fire of Eternal Glory, storytelling, etc.) from their initial show announcement video"... we tell a story of taking up arms, fighting like hell, and understanding that sometimes, the only way to clear a path is to burn it all down."

There is a statue of Joan of Arc inside the Notre-Dame Cathedral so there's that connection, but I do not know if it survived the fire or if it was destroyed.

11 hours ago, jthomas666 said:

1.  I don't care what direction the activity is going, I want more emphasis on music.  Also, get off my lawn!

2. They're definitely emphasizing visuals...they're just not doing it very well.

i can agree with this

• Like 1

Visuals have never been PR’s strong suit, not their weak point either, when done in the PR style.  Their greatest shows were always led with a fantastic horn & drum book complimented with appropriate visuals that didn’t take away from the musical impact, as visuals should, compliment.  Whenever PR attempts to be like other corps, they crash and burn.  I can’t understand why so many haven’t figured this out.  Let them do what they do best.  PR is a musical drum corps.  Unfortunately, I fear they have already lost (sold) their Romantic soul to Impressionism.

Edited by Land_Surfer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Land_Surfer said:

Visuals have never been PR’s strong suit, not their weak point either, when done in the PR style.  Their greatest shows were always led with a fantastic horn & drum book complimented with appropriate visuals that didn’t take away from the musical impact, as visuals should, compliment.  Whenever PR attempts to be like other corps, they crash and burn.  I can’t understand why so many haven’t figured this out.  Let them do what they do best.  PR is a musical drum corps.  Unfortunately, I fear they have already lost (sold) their Romantic soul to Impressionism.

back in the day Phantom was the king of the old M&M sheets. But in today's activity, visual drives the bus

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

back in the day Phantom was the king of the old M&M sheets. But in today's activity, visual drives the bus

I remember speaking to a judge years ago, that said 1989 PR was their definition of stellar M&M.