2019 Phantom Regiment

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

You’re telling me they marched, played AND ate M&Ms the whole show?  Holy cow no wonder they won. 

M&Ms come from Hackettstown, NJ. (Panther Valley) right off I-80.  They even come in maroon, gold, and white.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

M&Ms come from Hackettstown, NJ. (Panther Valley) right off I-80.  They even come in maroon, gold, and white.

Wish they still made the tan ones...

Edited by gak27
clarity

7 hours ago, gak27 said:

Wish they still made the tan ones...

funny you say that on the Phantom thread.  They did try to mimic 27's history of tan/khaki, red, and black but it wasn't as powerful for them as the white or when they tried looking like the Crossmen in black. Black didn't work for Cadets either.

12 hours ago, xandandl said:

Some of the peanut M&M's also come from the Mars plan in Cleveland, TN, a short drive from Chattanooga. (said the guy who worked for Mars for 7+ years in the 80's).

BTW, M&M's taste great before the sugar shell is applied...just the chocolate nibs.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 2:40 PM, Jake W. said:

I'm all for self-proclaimed dinos making relevant points (for example, there is quantifiably less dot-to-dot drill now than there was ten years ago) but the claim that Fire of Eternal Glory wouldn't be given the time to develop by today's music arrangers is demonstrably false.

Being generous with a few seconds on either end of the performance, one could reasonably call the '93 FOEG segment three minutes long, from initial count off to putting the helmets back on in silence. Examples from 2018 of ballads being given time to develop:

SCV's "My Body Is a Cage" clocks in at 2:30 from start to finish, just 30 seconds shy of FOEG, and if you think that's not an example along the lines of FOEG in that it's a simple, hummable melody that is freely & organically allowed to build from a plain idea into a massive full ensemble chorus over a relatively long period of time, then you simply weren't listening this year.

Bloo's "Saro" was a bit more modernized, I'll give you that, since it didn't begin and finish with silence, and the singer wove in "God Bless the Child", but I think the example still stands: a ballad that is allowed to ebb & flow and build organically, as the original music intended. Now, at 2:10ish, it's almost a full minute shorter than FOEG, but it's another CLEAR example of a melody being given the space in time that it needed to fully and leisurely develop in the same manner as FOEG.

Crown's "If I Fell", while not my favorite ballad of the year, is another undeniable example: a clear melody that is given tons of time to build from a few simple voices to a huge full ensemble statement of the same melody. This one clocks in at almost exactly three minutes, matching FOEG.

As a huge Sigur Ros fan, I thought Cadet's treatment of "Ara Batur" was pretty spot on and true to the original piece. Now, the original piece is almost 10 minutes long, so obviously they cut a few repetitions of the melody out in a way that the previous examples didn't need to (all source material previously mentioned is 2-3 minutes long), but the point is still there: a simple, hummable melody that is presented unaltered by the corps and allowed to grow slowly & fluidly. At 2:45, it landed just 15 seconds short of FOEG, and definitely made a similar point.

BK's treatment of Radiohead's "Exit Music" this year clocked in at an unaltered 2:30 devoted to just that song.

This example strays a little, since it's not as straightforward, but Mandarins had a GLORIOUS 2:45 second build BEFORE they unleashed on the True Colors melody, and a total ballad time of 3:45, almost a full minute longer than FOEG, and I don't think you'd find a single person from last season who didn't think their show was brilliant. Again, this example is a little different, since so much of the build is drumline and has very little to do with the True Colors melody, but if you don't think that's a long, slow, rise & fall build all the way to the giant pay off of an impact, then you aren't listening properly. It's the perfect example of allowing an entire section of a show to take the time it needs to develop.

Music City's "Hallelujah" developed beautifully & fully over about 2:30 minutes.

And that's just a rough perusal of THIS PAST SEASON ONLY. Really, to say FOEG wouldn't be given the time to develop nowadays is just....not true. I don't know how else to put it. 

Just in case I need to hammer this point home further, other recent examples of long, slowly-developing ballads:

Bloo's Hymn of Axciom clocks in at at 3:15.

Crown's interpretation of Giazotto's "Adagio" was 2:20m and the Lost ballad in 2014 as 2:55.

How could anyone forget The Academy's "Unchained Melody"???? At a full 3:30, it's an unquestionable example of a recent crowd favorite that easily matches (and surpasses!) the FOEG example.

Hell, let's even get BD in there too! While I will admit that allowing full, unaltered melodies to blossom and grow organically isn't their style, they did it as recently as 2016 with Fernando Valezquez's music from "The Impossibles": a full 2:55 ballad of the same gorgeous melody woven over and over as it builds slowly to a glorious climax.

how long did i take you to figure out all this?

1 hour ago, EricS said:

how long did i take you to figure out all this?

About half an hour. There’s very little that gives me as much satisfaction on these boards as pointing out a claim bemoaning the current state of the activity as demonstrably false!

Edited by Jake W.
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, MikeD said:

Some of the peanut M&M's also come from the Mars plan in Cleveland, TN, a short drive from Chattanooga. (said the guy who worked for Mars for 7+ years in the 80's).

BTW, M&M's taste great before the sugar shell is applied...just the chocolate nibs.

Yeppers. I live in Chattanooga. Strangely, I don't eat sugar so I don't get to enjoy them. I wish we had a good coffee roaster here though.

13 hours ago, xandandl said:

funny you say that on the Phantom thread.  They did try to mimic 27's history of tan/khaki, red, and black but it wasn't as powerful for them as the white or when they tried looking like the Crossmen in black. Black didn't work for Cadets either.

I actually really liked the "tan era" uniforms Phantom tried...

13 hours ago, MikeD said:

does DCP allow one to speak about peanuts?

I thought the peanut-phobics had banned that too because someone somewhere might be allergic and need the world to conform to their life rather than the other way around.  Mods!!!

Edited by xandandl

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Yeppers. I live in Chattanooga. Strangely, I don't eat sugar so I don't get to enjoy them. I wish we had a good coffee roaster here though.

just follow the Cadets' staff van out of the Red Lion school lot when the corps comes to practice pre-Murfreesboro.  Many of them are NEVER w/o their quarts of coffee.

Edited by xandandl