2019 Phantom Regiment

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

does DCP allow one to speak about peanuts?

I thought the peanut-phobics had banned that too because someone somewhere might be allergic and need the world to conform to their life rather than the other way around.  Mods!!!

I would think someone with their own health issues would have some empathy for others. Ever hear of analphylactic shock? I do have to give you credit for the gymnastics you performed just to mock a legitimate medical condition. 

Edited by Brian Tuma
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

I would think someone with their own health issues would have some empathy for others. Ever hear of analphylactic shock? I do have to give you credit for the gymnastics you performed just to mock a legitimate medical condition. 

I thought he was kidding. But I guess humor is no longer allowed. P.S. I bet you know he was kidding too. But maybe you two have some historical feud going on that’s bubbled to the surface again. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I thought he was kidding. But I guess humor is no longer allowed. P.S. I bet you know he was kidding too. But maybe you two have some historical feud going on that’s bubbled to the surface again. 

I know he was kidding, it just wasn’t funny. No feud, I just think he tries too hard in his attempts to be clever. There have been times when I’ve nearly spit my drink from reading one of his quips. 

Edited by Brian Tuma
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Jake W. said:

About half an hour. There’s very little that gives me as much satisfaction on these boards as pointing out a claim bemoaning the current state of the activity as demonstrably false!

Well, only you didn't prove the claim was demonstrably false.

1. Nearly all those corps have better arrangers than Regiment, obviously. And, those that may not have better arrangers on paper, are doing a better job at arranging. Even Music City's "Hallelujah" was better than anything Regiment has arranged since perhaps 2012. I'm not slamming Music City (even though it seems like it), but a corps like Regiment should be out-everythinging Music City. I have no faith that this year is going to be any better. Chances are FOEG will be another attempted failure at bringing a classic piece from the past back. Literally, any attempt since 2012 to resurrect a piece from the past has been a failure. I'm astoundingly baffled that they continually take this path. It doesn't take a genius to figure out it's not working. So it doesn't matter if you can present several successful shorter pieces arranged well by other corps, because Regiment isn't arranging anything well.

2. Musical and thematic development is subjective. I happen to agree with those who say corps are playing too many pieces in an 11 minute show, and there's little musical and thematic development. It's like Hooked on Classics. The Cavaliers source music last year consisted of 10 pieces. That's absurd. You cannot fully realize all those pieces in 11 minutes (you can't even fully realize 5 of them). You're comparing what corps are doing today to what corps are doing today. While I agree, all the pieces you have referenced were successful on the field, but when compared to the originals - not so much. When compared to the 80s, 90s and 2000s, there is little musical development in today's shows.

3. The problem isn't as much the length of the pieces being played as it is their arrangements. 30 seconds of horns and drums playing, 15 second drum break, 30 seconds of horns and drums playing, 15 second drum break - repeat, repeat, repeat. It's just boring. Some corps are obviously more successful with that formula - Regiment is not one of them.

4. Go back and listen to Regiment's opener from 1996 and tell me any number today that is given the time to develop like that. You won't be able to. I still regard that opener as one of the most astonishing moments on the field ever. It was stunningly beautiful and thrilling, and it was that way because it was given time to build. It was marvelous.

Compare those pieces to the originals. Compare those pieces to arrangements from the 80s, 90s and 2000s. The failure of thematic and musical development today comparatively is staggering, regardless if a piece was successful (by today's standards) or not. 

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 3

On 4/21/2019 at 11:02 AM, Land_Surfer said:

And they M&M’d the whole time.  Today’s performers are obviously no longer the musicians they once were, and why should they be when supplemented by electronics and loud speakers, and show’s are being designed around visuals.  Before long football fields will no longer be good enough.  

You're all going to laugh and me, but I will do a HUGE "I told you so" on this. Football fields won't be good enough. DCI is headed in doors. Just watch. Football fields will give way to basketball courts. It's going to happen - that is the future. 

14 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

You're all going to laugh and me, but I will do a HUGE "I told you so" on this. Football fields won't be good enough. DCI is headed in doors. Just watch. Football fields will give way to basketball courts. It's going to happen - that is the future. 

Still being a newb (I'll bet I even spelled that wrong. It's probably noob in today's lingo) around here, I presume there's been countless threads done already on the future of DCI and where things could be heading. The indoor/small surface concept doesn't sound irrational at all to me. WGI seems to be setting the trends for so many other things DCI. 

19 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Still being a newb (I'll bet I even spelled that wrong. It's probably noob in today's lingo) around here, I presume there's been countless threads done already on the future of DCI and where things could be heading. The indoor/small surface concept doesn't sound irrational at all to me. WGI seems to be setting the trends for so many other things DCI. 

Yep! All, or nearly all, of SCV's show could have fit on a basketball court last year. Call me a lunatic or conspiracy theorist, but I think it was a test to see if a show that utilized that little space could be successful. The answer to that question was a resounding "yes." Just remember, you all, I said this here, today! DCI will be indoors within 5 years.

Edited by queenanne_1536

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

I know he was kidding, it just wasn’t funny. No feud, I just think he tries too hard in his attempts to be clever. There have been times when I’ve nearly spit my drink from reading one of his quips. 

I will give you that for sure. He tries too hard sometimes. But at least he posts. This website is about dead. 

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Well, only you didn't prove the claim was demonstrably false.

1. Nearly all those corps have better arrangers than Regiment, obviously. And, those that may not have better arrangers on paper, are doing a better job at arranging. Even Music City's "Hallelujah" was better than anything Regiment has arranged since perhaps 2012. I'm not slamming Music City (even though it seems like it), but a corps like Regiment should be out-everythinging Music City. I have no faith that this year is going to be any better. Chances are FOEG will be another attempted failure at bringing a classic piece from the past back. Literally, any attempt since 2012 to resurrect a piece from the past has been a failure. I'm astoundingly baffled that they continually take this path. It doesn't take a genius to figure out it's not working. So it doesn't matter if you can present several successful shorter pieces arranged well by other corps, because Regiment isn't arranging anything well.

2. Musical and thematic development is subjective. I happen to agree with those who say corps are playing too many pieces in an 11 minute show, and there's little musical and thematic development. It's like Hooked on Classics. The Cavaliers source music last year consisted of 10 pieces. That's absurd. You cannot fully realize all those pieces in 11 minutes (you can't even fully realize 5 of them). You're comparing what corps are doing today to what corps are doing today. While I agree, all the pieces you have referenced were successful on the field, but when compared to the originals - not so much. When compared to the 80s, 90s and 2000s, there is little musical development in today's shows.

3. The problem isn't as much the length of the pieces being played as it is their arrangements. 30 seconds of horns and drums playing, 15 second drum break, 30 seconds of horns and drums playing, 15 second drum break - repeat, repeat, repeat. It's just boring. Some corps are obviously more successful with that formula - Regiment is not one of them.

4. Go back and listen to Regiment's opener from 1996 and tell me any number today that is given the time to develop like that. You won't be able to.

Compare those pieces to the originals. Compare those pieces to arrangements from the 80s, 90s and 2000s. The failure of thematic and musical development today comparatively is staggering, regardless if a piece was successful (by today's standards) or not. 

you don't have to give a piece full time to get value of it....the key is in the arrangement of it. Look at crown Finis....how many tunes in there? Some on top of each other? Yet it worked. And ###### well and helped propel them to the status they have remained in for the most part since....top 4. So giving a tune full breathing spade for the sake of full breathing space isn't always the best option. 

How it's designed, whatever approach taken is the key, and IMO, Phantom has been horrible with it the last few years. It's coming off as trying to be cool for the sake of cool as opposed to just being ###### good whatever approach they take. Maybe there's a reason the current arranger was the DM stabbed and not the one doing the stabbing.

24 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Yep! All, or nearly all, of SCV's show could have fit on a basketball court last year. Call me a lunatic or conspiracy theorist, but I think it was a test to see if a show that utilized that little space could be successful. The answer to that question was a resounding "yes." Just remember, you all, I said this here, today! DCI will be indoors within 5 years.

a regulation basketball court is 70x90. I think they covered more space than that