2019 Phantom Regiment

54 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

forgive my bluntness, but talent can only make #### so much better.

LOL - that's why I said we'll never know what would have played out in that scenario, and why I said I don't think they would have finished top 6 (or probably 7) with that show had they had the most talented corps last year. However, better talent would have made the overall product better from a performance standpoint.

Sheer talent, after all, saved Crown last year. That show was also a big mess, with ineffective and pointless props, ineffective visuals, horrible costumes, a sub-standard guard, and it wasn't very effective as a whole. Their brass and percussion sections saved them last year. Flat out. Had Regiment performed Crown's show from last year, they'd have likely placed 11th also. 

Never said talent was everything, but it is a valuable and key component any way you slice it. It can save you, as it did for Crown last year.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

LOL - that's why I said we'll never know what would have played out in that scenario, and why I said I don't think they would have finished top 6 (or probably 7) with that show had they had the most talented corps last year. However, better talent would have made the overall product better from a performance standpoint.

Sheer talent, after all, saved Crown last year. That show was also a big mess, with ineffective and pointless props, ineffective visuals, horrible costumes, a sub-standard guard, and it wasn't very effective as a whole. Their brass and percussion sections saved them last year. Flat out. Had Regiment performed Crown's show from last year, they'd have likely placed 11th also. 

Never said talent was everything, but it is a valuable and key component any way you slice it. It can save you, as it did for Crown last year.

Thank goodness someone finally said it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

visually yes it was a mess...musically not so much. Phantoms case...everything was

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

visually yes it was a mess...musically not so much. Phantoms case...everything was

To me Crown's music overall was almost as much of a mess as the visual — everything sounded great on its own of course, but the book as a whole had no cohesion and the shifts between styles were often really jarring. If I Fall was a beautiful ballad, but... did it really belong in Beast? The front ensemble stuff in between the Bruckner and the double tongue feature sounded cool, but did it have any relation to the show? Phantom's music, on the other hand, felt connected throughout the show to me. It wasn't incredible arranging, but for the most part it had a sense of unity.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

To me Crown's music overall was almost as much of a mess as the visual — everything sounded great on its own of course, but the book as a whole had no cohesion and the shifts between styles were often really jarring. If I Fall was a beautiful ballad, but... did it really belong in Beast? The front ensemble stuff in between the Bruckner and the double tongue feature sounded cool, but did it have any relation to the show? Phantom's music, on the other hand, felt connected throughout the show to me. It wasn't incredible arranging, but for the most part it had a sense of unity.

You think?  I thought the arrangement was like something you put together your first time arranging and trying to be edgy with a known masterpiece.  Ya, it followed a prescribed method but...ugh.

10 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

You think?  I thought the arrangement was like something you put together your first time arranging and trying to be edgy with a known masterpiece.  Ya, it followed a prescribed method but...ugh.

“Edgy” might have worked. I thought exactly the opposite and would have described the arrangement as neutered. 

16 hours ago, johnpendell said:

I wouldn't say it's a wealthy kid activity... I'm trying to think of one person I know that's marched that didn't do some sort of fundraising or money saving. It's very expensive, but not impossible if you aren't in an upper class. I will say it's impossible to know how much talent has been missed on due to finances but...it's not something you can really approximate. 

Most of the people I marched with in the past couple of years were not wealthy and often struggled very hard to pay the monthly payments. In fact — most people I marched with work one or two jobs leading up to the summer in order to pay for it. Our fees added up to $4,500 to $5,000 with camps, tour fees, and tour supplies (good shoes, backpack, air mattress, etc)

There are certainly some wealthy kids who have parents that just pay for their fees. But in my experience, most of us work our butts off to be able to pay for the summer.

It’s an activity full of (mostly) kids who work VERY hard year around.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

Let me rephrase, because I didn't explain what I meant very well... each piece in Crown's show was arranged very well on its own, but they didn't fit together at all thematically or musically. The individual pieces in Phantom's show were arranged rather poorly for the most part (at least for brass), but there was a consistency to the style that made it flow and feel like one unified show.

1 hour ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

Let me rephrase, because I didn't explain what I meant very well... each piece in Crown's show was arranged very well on its own, but they didn't fit together at all thematically or musically. The individual pieces in Phantom's show were arranged rather poorly for the most part (at least for brass), but there was a consistency to the style that made it flow and feel like one unified show.

I actually feel the opposite on Crown. As for PR, for me, there was zero flow at all. Anytime there was a new idea is was the same type of transition, with little cohesion.

For me, Phantom's show should have flowed better, as stylistically the music they used was more similar than the pieces Crown played, but because the arrangements-from a brass standpoint in particular was weaker than most, it just didn't work.

Unless 2019 is drastically different, I hope for the corps sake, that they find a new brass arranger for 2020. I have yet to find any of Will Pitts' arrangement to be stellar.

Edited by tesmusic
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, YoungMusician said:

Most of the people I marched with in the past couple of years were not wealthy and often struggled very hard to pay the monthly payments. In fact — most people I marched with work one or two jobs leading up to the summer in order to pay for it. Our fees added up to $4,500 to $5,000 with camps, tour fees, and tour supplies (good shoes, backpack, air mattress, etc)

There are certainly some wealthy kids who have parents that just pay for their fees. But in my experience, most of us work our butts off to be able to pay for the summer.

It’s an activity full of (mostly) kids who work VERY hard year around.

I’m not so sure the ROI (return on investment) from marching in today’s DCI is as good today as it has been.  

It takes long hours of work for a full-time high school or college student to earn an additional $4,000-5,000 required  to spend the summer on the road performing, especially when the opportunity cost of those funds could be better spent supporting academic endeavors.  

When I paid my dues and marched it was an authentic era for corps and their performances.  There is nothing genuine today.  Every corps wants to be like every other corps, the activity has become so homogenized that when you see one, you’ve literally seen them all and I blame it on leadership who decided that quality talent and performance wasn’t enough value to win.  Therefore, performance enhancements have been added (amplification, electronic instruments, static displays) that in no way project passion and emotion from the members.  It blows my mind that today’s members are forced to pay these kinds of fees and the outcome of the show is driven more by the behind the scenes actions of programmers and set builders.  What a sham!  DCI today isn’t the result of the natural progression (evolution) of the activity as much as it is an arrogant few trying to push the limits for their own benefit.  

Edited by Land_Surfer
  • Thanks 1