2019 Phantom Regiment

15 hours ago, EricS said:

You're saying exactly what a lot of people have been saying and thinking for a long time.  And i don't buy the monetary problem.  I would bet if someone mounted a campaign to raise funds to be used solely for affording top notch staff the money would flood in.  There are too many people who love PR and want to see it succeed.  And secondly,  the habit of hiring alumni is and has never proven to be very successful.  It's a crutch that comes with many problems.  IMVHO, PR needs to clean house.

The issue with hiring alumni design talent IMHO, is that they seem tend to design shows "I wish we would have marched when I was a member." That doesn't seem to be a good way to figure out show design. You can't do a "top hits of Phantom Regiment 1990-2015" show and expect it to fly. Leave that kind of thing for alumni corps.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I've mentioned before that I'm just looking for competency in the design - something we haven't seen lately - not necessarily a push to top six.

And I'd argue we don't yet know enough about the Joan of Arc idea to suggest that they aren't trying to push into top six. But we do know enough about the current design team...

What we do know is, Pioneer did it already. This is just another example of Regiment design staff not having an original thought.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

What we do know is, Pioneer did it already. This is just another example of Regiment design staff not having an original thought.

That's not really a fair statement... did you call out SCV in 2013 for doing a Les Mis show when Cadets and BAC had done it before? What about Cadets the same year for Barber and Bartok when Star had done the same? If the show is designed differently, it's original. I can tell you that this show is definitely going to be VERY different from Pio's Joan of Arc show.

Les Mis Cadets - 1989, SCV - 2013

Bartok Star of Indiana - 1993, Cadets - 2013

Joan of Arc Pioneer - 2016, Regiment - 2019

I think you get my point here. It is the lack of original thought / programming that concerns me. I sure hope it will be different from Pioneer, but recent history suggests that it might not be all that good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Les Mis Cadets - 1989, SCV - 2013

Bartok Star of Indiana - 1993, Cadets - 2013

Joan of Arc Pioneer - 2016, Regiment - 2019

I think you get my point here. It is the lack of original thought / programming that concerns me. I sure hope it will be different from Pioneer, but recent history suggests that it might not be all that good.

Les Mis Cadets - 1989, BAC - 2011, SCV - 2013

Regardless of whether it's good or not, it won't be the fact that Pio did a Joan show recently that makes it good or bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

Les Mis Cadets - 1989, BAC - 2011, SCV - 2013

Regardless of whether it's good or not, it won't be the fact that Pio did a Joan show recently that makes it good or bad.

The point is, IMO, it points to a lack of original ideas/thoughts.  

9 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

The point is, IMO, it points to a lack of original ideas/thoughts.  

I disagree — corps are going to use ideas that have been used before. SCV performed a show this past summer about an inability to communicate after Cadets announced (and didn't perform, but I'd assume SCV had at least a framework of the show concept if not more before The Conversation was scrapped) a show about the same thing for the same year... but the design was quite original anyway. Cadets' 2002 show, although inspired by their 1995 show, was an original and distinct design. BD 2012 was another abstract, artsy show just 4 years after Constantly Risking Absurdity, but many people think it's one of the best designs ever. Phantom's show design may not meet that standard, but it won't be because it's a repeated show theme — it'll just be because Phantom's design isn't at an incredibly high level right now.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

Phantom's show design may not meet that standard, but it won't be because it's a repeated show theme — it'll just be because Phantom's design isn't at an incredibly high level right now.

Completely agree which is why I was hoping for something more along the line of an 'original thought'. However, one could say that Voice of Promise, Phantasm, and This New World were all 'original', they were just bad original ideas. Joan may have some preconceived notions that, if not lived up to, could be an even bigger failure than the three noted above. Again, not a member issue.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 7:18 PM, kdaddy said:

I don't know if he was the designer that "brought that prop idea" at Madison last year, but the drill writer is now with Phantom Regiment. Digest that accordingly.

Yikes.