2019 Phantom Regiment

19 hours ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

I disagree — corps are going to use ideas that have been used before. SCV performed a show this past summer about an inability to communicate after Cadets announced (and didn't perform, but I'd assume SCV had at least a framework of the show concept if not more before The Conversation was scrapped) a show about the same thing for the same year... but the design was quite original anyway. Cadets' 2002 show, although inspired by their 1995 show, was an original and distinct design. BD 2012 was another abstract, artsy show just 4 years after Constantly Risking Absurdity, but many people think it's one of the best designs ever. Phantom's show design may not meet that standard, but it won't be because it's a repeated show theme — it'll just be because Phantom's design isn't at an incredibly high level right now.

You can get away with doing similar things when you have a top tier design staff that can create anew. However, when I was watching 2012 BD, I didn’t give 2008 BD a single thought. They were two completely different shows and two shows that were designed at the highest level. Repeating musical numbers is a big problem for Regiment, because it ALWAYS fails. I always think of the original show when and it never lives up to it. Never. So, why do it? There are hundreds, thousands, of great classical music pieces that Regiment could perform. The constant repeating is either laziness or a complete lack of ability to be original.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

You can get away with doing similar things when you have a top tier design staff that can create anew. However, when I was watching 2012 BD, I didn’t give 2008 BD a single thought. They were two completely different shows and two shows that were designed at the highest level. Repeating musical numbers is a big problem for Regiment, because it ALWAYS fails. I always think of the original show when and it never lives up to it. Never. So, why do it? There are hundreds, thousands, of great classical music pieces that Regiment could perform. The constant repeating is either laziness or a complete lack of ability to be original.

Apart from Fires, their repertoire this season is very original. And they have successfully repeated pieces in the past (albeit with better overall designs) — Elsa's in 2011, Nessun Dorma in 2012, Swan Lake in 2014, etc. 

4 hours ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

Apart from Fires, their repertoire this season is very original. And they have successfully repeated pieces in the past (albeit with better overall designs) — Elsa's in 2011, Nessun Dorma in 2012, Swan Lake in 2014, etc. 

I will agree with you that Elsa's was great, and may have been an improvement. Juliet is my 2nd favorite Regiment show (after On Air). Dorma in 2012 was great too, but I don't think it was necessarily any improvement over 1991. Both were great for the time periods they were in. Swan Lake in 2014, however, we disagree. That should was messy, too, and had too many design issues. The costuming for one, was bad, and the costume change was done in such a basic way - really? The design team couldn't think of anything better. Relative to their timeframes the '87 show was exceptionally superior to the '14 show. 

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I will agree with you that Elsa's was great, and may have been an improvement. Juliet is my 2nd favorite Regiment show (after On Air). Dorma in 2012 was great too, but I don't think it was necessarily any improvement over 1991. Both were great for the time periods they were in. Swan Lake in 2014, however, we disagree. That should was messy, too, and had too many design issues. The costuming for one, was bad, and the costume change was done in such a basic way - really? The design team couldn't think of anything better. Relative to their timeframes the '87 show was exceptionally superior to the '14 show. 

That's fair on 2014, admittedly I haven't seen 1987 so I can't compare it to that.

16 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Having only been on the MM side of things I think handicaps me in my opinions. That being said, I feel like that in DCI, it's almost like the old "dress for the job you want, not for the job you have" adage. Designers seem to design for the show they want to see happen and not for the level of talent that they actually have. I would assume that these elements are set LONG before the season starts, but I would also imagine they have to change considerably once your membership is set and you see what you have to work with.

So is this a matter of the design being so far above what the members are capable of that once it's watered down to the level it has to be, that the design is now unrecognizably (sp) bad?

P.S. - It's too early so this might not any sense whatsoever. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 10:10 AM, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

No. Just no. Elsa’s 2011 and Nessun Dorma 2012 were huge disappointments compared to their originals. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/4/2019 at 10:10 AM, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

#fakenews

• Like 1

Regiment 2014 would have been better off titled 'The Swan' than Swan Lake. Again, Swan Lake had preconceived notions and possibly comparison issues.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Regiment 2014 would have been better off titled 'The Swan' than Swan Lake. Again, Swan Lake had preconceived notions and possibly comparison issues.

I’ve said before, that show had potential. There are many powerful “deep cuts” in the Tchaikovsky score that could have been used, would have been effective, and would have been original. Also, “From the Winter Palace,” the one that was closest in theme, used music from the score but didn’t portray the story of “Swan Lake.”

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:10 AM, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

Has anyone actually seen the entire repertoire? It isn't posted anywhere that I can find. FOEG, at this point, is just a rumor.