2019 Phantom Regiment

On 5/4/2019 at 2:27 PM, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

That's fair on 2014, admittedly I haven't seen 1987 so I can't compare it to that.

That's too bad. 1986 was obviously a rough year for them. When they first debuted those all white uniforms in '87 it was magical, truly shocking. You literally gasped at how beautiful they looked. Breathtaking. You just knew that show had legs. It was really disappointing that they dropped 3rd to 5th finals week, but it was really magical.

On 5/5/2019 at 5:48 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Having only been on the MM side of things I think handicaps me in my opinions. That being said, I feel like that in DCI, it's almost like the old "dress for the job you want, not for the job you have" adage. Designers seem to design for the show they want to see happen and not for the level of talent that they actually have. I would assume that these elements are set LONG before the season starts, but I would also imagine they have to change considerably once your membership is set and you see what you have to work with.

So is this a matter of the design being so far above what the members are capable of that once it's watered down to the level it has to be, that the design is now unrecognizably (sp) bad?

P.S. - It's too early so this might not any sense whatsoever. 

That's an interesting thought. I think you can design for the talent you have and still put out a great design, much like Cavies did in 2016. That design was very good from the beginning and just got better and better. Mandarins last year is another great example. I think a good design with less talent generally fares better than a bad design with good talent, but you need both to be in the upper tier, for sure.

On 5/5/2019 at 8:25 AM, HockeyDad said:

No. Just no. Elsa’s 2011 and Nessun Dorma 2012 were huge disappointments compared to their originals. 

I thought Elsa's in 2011 was magical. It all worked - the design, the story, and THAT GUARD! Wow, that guard was so stunning in that moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I thought Elsa's in 2011 was magical. It all worked - the design, the story, and THAT GUARD! Wow, that guard was so stunning in that moment.

I enjoyed that 2011 guard too. i watched that show countless times.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

That's too bad. 1986 was obviously a rough year for them. When they first debuted those all white uniforms in '87 it was magical, truly shocking. You literally gasped at how beautiful they looked. Breathtaking. You just knew that show had legs. It was really disappointing that they dropped 3rd to 5th finals week, but it was really magical.

Good Lord, yes.  They came out of the tunnel as the previous corps was finishing up, and the entire crowd went "ooooohhhhhhhhhh"

Despite the finish, a truly magnificent show on all fronts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I agree; I loved Elsa's in 2011. The total sound the corps projected was amazing.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, MikeD said:

I agree; I loved Elsa's in 2011. The total sound the corps projected was amazing.

The total sound I was hearing was teeth rattling thunderous goo. 

2 hours ago, UnknownLogic said:

I promise it's okay to like some of the newer stuff. 

Sure. I like all the newer stuff that’s good.