2019 Phantom Regiment

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I'm not really seeing the correlation between "stepping out of the comfort zone" and choosing women composers. Is music composed by women harder to arrange? Harder to play? Composed differently?

More like it’s harder to find but it’s out there. It might not just fall into your lap. That’s what i meant by venturing out of your comfort zone. In the end, PR can choose whatever the want. Music by a woman isn’t a necessity to convey their theme but I appears to me by Will Pitts’ response no one even tried. 

10 hours ago, EricS said:

WTF does that mean?

it means wah it's not 1975 anymore

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Validating the virtue signalers by responding to them at all is a sign of weakness. They could theoretically play music all by women composers, and then some helpy helperton would find some reason to object to the women chosen. Maybe they’re the wrong race, religion, etc. Maybe their stance on whatever issue of the day was wrong. It just never ends. Which is why the proper response should have been pfffft

in this world now, anything can be taken to extremes on social media especially. wasn't charlie brown christmas or Rudolph or something labeled as racist this past year? It's where we are as a world now. 

8 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

My guess is the design team didn’t even step out of their comfort zone and try to find a piece of music written by a woman. There’s plenty, especially in the pop music genre. The Cadets did it fourteen years ago (Björk) without even making an issue about playing a piece written by a woman and won it all. 

actually if you read the post, they listened to several pieces written by women, but they chose the tunes they did, regardless of who wrote it, because it fit the story they wanted to tell.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Placate, Appease, Pacify, Mollify,  and/or Apologize.... If this is how design choices are going to be made in the new era of drum corps I would rather be at the dentist getting a tooth extracted.

it's society in general. it's just now hitting drum corps show design

20 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's society in general. it's just now hitting drum corps show design

In this insane pc culture of today comedians can't even practice their craft without being thrown off of university campuses. We need to channel Don Rickles and have Mel Brooks become a DCI designer. As the Joker (Jack Nicholson) once said, "This town needs an enema!"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

In this insane pc culture of today comedians can't even practice their craft without being thrown off of university campuses. We need to channel Don Rickles and have Mel Brooks become a DCI designer. As the Joker (Jack Nicholson) once said, "This town needs an enema!"

never rub another mans rhubarb

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Placate, Appease, Pacify, Mollify,  and/or Apologize.... If this is how design choices are going to be made in the new era of drum corps I would rather be at the dentist getting a tooth extracted.

Just give me a call!  🙂

• Haha 1