2019 Phantom Regiment

13 hours ago, Cappybara said:

That's pretty much all brass band music, atleast in my opinion. Not a fan of it

On 5/29/2019 at 5:38 PM,  kdaddy said: 

I like the rep quite a bit. But I don't especially like the brass band selection. The stuff that Crown et al. (and now Academy) has chosen has a lot more melody than the tune Regiment chose - seems more like notes for notes sake.

Objection your Honor.  Mr. Crappybara's argument is speculative and it lacks foundation.  I submit to the court Carolina Crown's 2014 production, Vitae Aeternum by Paul Lovatt-Cooper.  (I'm practicing for the July 29th criminal trial in case I'm called upon to join the DA's Office or the Defendant's Counsel.)      

Edited by keystone3ply
corrected spelling
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

in this world now, anything can be taken to extremes on social media especially. wasn't charlie brown christmas or Rudolph or something labeled as racist this past year? It's where we are as a world now. 

It is. And all it takes for extremism to prevail is for the good people to remain silent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

It is. And all it takes for extremism to prevail is for the good people to remain silent. 

Rudolph.  And they’re banning To Kill a Mockingbird at schools around here.  Can you imagine? 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Rudolph.  And they’re banning To Kill a Mockingbird at schools around here.  Can you imagine? 

And to think, we watched the 1970's Playboy version of Romeo and Juliet in British Lit class LOL. Then again, Brit-Lit teachers tend to be an odd breed (or at least they were in the mid-80's.)

Oh how times have changed.....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

I know it’s not a true predictor, but you have to wonder how well they’re planning everything else. 

BINGO!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Was the design team supposed to find a piece of music written by a woman?  If so, can you explain why?  A check of the show announcement says nothing about this being a salute to women composers. 

It’s a show about empowering women without a single piece of music written by women. That’s pretty tone deaf on the part of Regiment’s design team.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Good lord so unnecessary and stupid. 

He has nothing to apologize for. Drum corps source music, especially classical musical, has predominately been composed by old white men. That's just a fact. There's no need to shoehorn female composers just to appease the whiners. The best pieces should be chosen for a show theme, with no attention paid to the composers of said music

It’s not. It’s not unnecessary, nor is it stupid. What it is, is just another example of the inabilities of the design team at Regiment. Doing a show about empowering women without a single piece of music written by a woman - that’s what’s stupid. Good Lord, someone needs to step up an rescue this organization. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

There are great male composers and great female composers.

You hit the nail on the head as to why this repertoire is a failure, and perhaps you didn’t even realize it. Without Googling, name one female composer. I can’t. I can’t name one female composer and I am a huge classical music buff. It’s practically all I listen to. I have at least 1,000 recordings. I love exploring pieces that have long disappeared from the repertoire and are being rediscovered. I have never, to my knowledge, heard one piece of classical music written by a woman. I don’t know of one piece of classical music written by a woman. I have never sought out a piece of classical music written by a woman. Why? Because I’ve really never given it any thought.

There’s a huge lesson here for me, for sure, but this is it. This is why their musical choices for this show are such a failure. Regiment had the opportunity to give us something new. Something different. They had the opportunity to educate us, to expose us to something new, and to give us something new to think about - women write classical music and they write good classical music. I would have welcomed that. Any way you slice it, they really missed an opportunity here.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

You hit the nail on the head as to why this repertoire is a failure, and perhaps you didn’t even realize it. Without Googling, name one female composer. I can’t. I can’t name one female composer and I am a huge classical music buff. It’s practically all I listen to. I have at least 1,000 recordings. I love exploring pieces that have long disappeared from the repertoire and are being rediscovered. I have never, to my knowledge, heard one piece of classical music written by a woman. I don’t know of one piece of classical music written by a woman. I have never sought out a piece of classical music written by a woman. Why? Because I’ve really never given it any thought.

There’s a huge lesson here for me, for sure, but this is it. This is why their musical choices for this show are such a failure. Regiment had the opportunity to give us something new. Something different. They had the opportunity to educate us, to expose us to something new, and to give us something new to think about - women write classical music and they write good classical music. I would have welcomed that. Any way you slice it, they really missed an opportunity here.

Try Amy Beach.....As for this year’s repertoire being a failure... everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion. I hope they prove you wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, queenanne_1536 said:

You hit the nail on the head as to why this repertoire is a failure, and perhaps you didn’t even realize it. Without Googling, name one female composer. I can’t. I can’t name one female composer and I am a huge classical music buff. It’s practically all I listen to. I have probably close to 1,000 recordings. I love exploring pieces that have long disappeared from the standard repertoire and are being rediscovered. I have never, to my knowledge, heard one piece of classical music written by a woman. I don’t know of one piece of classical music written by a woman. I have never sought out a piece of classical music written by a woman. Why? Because I’ve really never given it a thought.

There’s a huge lesson her for me, for sure, but this is it. This is why their musical choices for this show are such a failure. Regiment had the opportunity to give us something new. Something different. They had the opportunity to educate us, to expose us to something new, and to give us something new to think about - women write classical music. I would have welcomed that. Any way you slice it, they really missed an opportunity here.

I can honestly think of one without "The Google" and only because she came up in theory class like 422 times (though I can't remember her first name.) Mendelssohn's sister (I'm so glad I have 3 brain cells left from the lost 90-96 years.) 

I do see your point about missing an opportunity and even agree with that statement on it's own. I don't know if I would say that there is a failure though. The show (as I see it on the surface,) is about empowering the female gender. I don't feel that it is necessarily a requirement to have musical selections by women in order to do that. I think at this point I would see it as an "even better if" type of thing. 

• Like 1