2019 Phantom Regiment

No good deed goes unpunished. I guess Phantom never should have attempted an homage to women. None of this virtue signaling would have happened. 

22 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

No good deed goes unpunished. I guess Phantom never should have attempted an homage to women. None of this virtue signaling would have happened. 

I disagree, because look at the limited amount of backlash the Cadets are facing right now. Their show is as, if not more so, focused on women empowerment, and the level at which they are dealing with these arguments isn't happening. At least not that I've noticed.

Let's flip the question here - Would it be odd to you if when Madison did their Corps of Brothers show, they used music exclusively written by women? Not because they went out of their way to avoid men, but because the music they found most fitting was written exclusively by women.

11 hours ago, year1buick said:

The corps first played it my during rookie year, in 92. I’ve heard you could hear us from two blocks away outside Camp Randall during Finals retreat.

Not just at Camp Randall. That was pretty standard during retreat that summer to hear that line blocks away.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, acolli17 said:

I disagree, because look at the limited amount of backlash the Cadets are facing right now. Their show is as, if not more so, focused on women empowerment, and the level at which they are dealing with these arguments isn't happening. At least not that I've noticed.

Let's flip the question here - Would it be odd to you if when Madison did their Corps of Brothers show, they used music exclusively written by women? Not because they went out of their way to avoid men, but because the music they found most fitting was written exclusively by women.

I wouldn’t care. It’s just an issue for those looking for a reason to be outraged. Play the music that you think is best. It’s the music that’s used to help convey the show’s theme. Not the writer of the music. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I wouldn’t care. It’s just an issue for those looking for a reason to be outraged. Play the music that you think is best. It’s the music that’s used to help convey the show’s theme. Not the writer of the music. 

That's great that you don't care, but do you don't think there would be backlash from alums or other diehard traditionalist fans?

23 minutes ago, acolli17 said:

That's great that you don't care, but do you don't think there would be backlash from alums or other diehard traditionalist fans?

Who even pays attention to, or cares about, the composer of the music played?  How many people know who composed Malagueña?  Or care?  And if you care, why do you care?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

You’re in love with that phrase ‘virtue signaling’. It’s as if you’re signaling your own virtue by using it so often. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Who even pays attention to, or cares about, the composer of the music played?  How many people know who composed Malagueña?  Or care?  And if you care, why do you care?

Judging by the level of backlash to the programming, I'd say a lot of people care.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I don't want to speak on other people's behalf, but my understanding is similar to when someone says they support American industry and manufacturing, and then proceed to purchase products made in China and Mexico (I know this is getting dangerously close to political, so I want to explicitly state that I am not trying to poke or shine a spotlight on any single individual or group).

The reason I've read that people are upset is not just because there are no women composers having been programmed - that's happened countless times throughout drum corps over the years - but that a group states that their show is about empowering women and then doesn't empower women with their music selections.

2 hours ago, acolli17 said:

That is because their show announcement, and the angst that accompanied it, took place three weeks earlier.

I would not even bother to check who wrote what... unless/until there was enough outrage to (excuse the pun) engender my curiosity. 

I would enjoy the music they selected for what it is.  And I would not be thinking "if only they used music written by a (insert gender, race, ethnicity, orientation, age, or other qualifier here)".