2019 Phantom Regiment

21 minutes ago, acolli17 said:

I went through the history of Phantom's repertoire, and the only time they played a piece by a female composer was in 1972, when they did Bates's America the Beautiful. It doesn't seem like this has ever been an issue with fans of the activity in the past, but only when Phantom made it a point of their show did the criticisms come to surface. There have undoubtedly been many aspects of criticism of Phantom's show designs over the years, does proper representation of gender inequality not warrant the same level of validity?

I went through the history of Phantom Regiment shows, and the only time they designed a show claiming to be about empowerment of women was 2019.  So why are you looking at other years?

Blue Knights Apologize for "Avian"

According to Marc Sylvester, 2012 show designer, "I am mortified.  We chose music to best fit the moods, pacing, and storyline of our competitive program.  But the fact that none of our source music was actually composed by a bird is now creating a storyline of its own.

The idea of celebrating high altitude creatures has been a part of the Blue Knights since its inception, from the choice of a mile-high hometown, to employing really tall corps directors.  

It was a missed opportunity."

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, acolli17 said:

I think we can all agree that the lack of foresight on the PR portion of Phantom was subpar.

I went through the history of Phantom's repertoire, and the only time they played a piece by a female composer was in 1972, when they did Bates's America the Beautiful. It doesn't seem like this has ever been an issue with fans of the activity in the past, but only when Phantom made it a point of their show did the criticisms come to surface. There have undoubtedly been many aspects of criticism of Phantom's show designs over the years, does proper representation of gender inequality not warrant the same level of validity?

So let's say they have a specific plot-line/emotion they are trying to project with the music to pull off their vision for their 2019 production. They have a list of musical selections that include both male and female composers. After listening to them all and choosing what works BEST to project the emotion for their concept they end with all male composers. You want them to have gone back and made potentially an inferior selection that would impact ALL the members of the 2019 corps and in their mind HARM their competitive potential just to make a political point. That isn't equality. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, xandandl said:

Is there now an insistence that the DCI judging panel can only be comprised in 2019 of female judges? ...minimally for these two corps???  Percussion doesn't have too many.

Julie D!

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I went through the history of Phantom Regiment shows, and the only time they designed a show claiming to be about empowerment of women was 2019.  So why are you looking at other years?

I was saying that there’s never been issue with their programming before, despite the fact that it’s been 99% male composed. The issue that expel are having now is that they’re doing a show about women empowerment and not including women in the music selections. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

So let's say they have a specific plot-line/emotion they are trying to project with the music to pull off their vision for their 2019 production. They have a list of musical selections that include both male and female composers. After listening to them all and choosing what works BEST to project the emotion for their concept they end with all male composers. You want them to have gone back and made potentially an inferior selection that would impact ALL the members of the 2019 corps and in their mind HARM their competitive potential just to make a political point. That isn't equality. 

That’s not the same logic though - if a group is going to do a show about women, the idea could be to disclude, at least for one selection, male composers. Because the point to drive home is that women can create music on par with men. 

The difference I think we’re expressing is your example says the concept drives the music. Why couldn’t, for at least one movement, the music drive the concept?

Edited by acolli17
  • Like 1

I get the feeling that last post will be misinterpreted, so allow me to clarify:

if you were going to do a show about Hanukkah, you could include a Jewish composer. If you did a show about the history of slave music, you could use a slave song. If you did a show about pirates, you could include a sea shanty. If you do a show about a specific theme, it makes sense to use music created for and by that theme. If your theme is women, wouldn’t it make sense to use music written by women?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, acolli17 said:

I get the feeling that last post will be misinterpreted, so allow me to clarify:

if you were going to do a show about Hanukkah, you could include a Jewish composer. If you did a show about the history of slave music, you could use a slave song. If you did a show about pirates, you could include a sea shanty. If you do a show about a specific theme, it makes sense to use music created for and by that theme. If your theme is women, wouldn’t it make sense to use music written by women?

#logic

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, acolli17 said:

One could.  They chose not to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1