2019 Phantom Regiment

5 hours ago, PhantomPhan91 said:

I think Will Pitts explained their show design and music selection rationale thoroughly in the Who is your Joan series of videos on the PR YouTube channel. This buzz that they generated that was very likely unintentional, but regardless I'm excited about the music and am looking forward to them this summer! I think this show will have a little bit of Spartacus, with a little bit of Triumphant Journey, and a hopefully a lot more chickens!

Did PR miss an opportunity to include music composed by women into a show that "...celebrates bold, empowered women and the spirit of revolution through the lens of Joan of Arc, one of the world’s most prolific independent women." Sure, it was definitely a missed opportunity. Was PR obligated to do so and was the harsh criticism warranted? Not necessarily, but hindsight is 20/20 and opinions on both sides of the aisle are valid.

i have found myself defending Will Pitts for something other than his death on the podium. Lord help us

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Using slave songs and sea shanty tunes will highlight the theme of the show as heard and seen. It makes no judgement on who composed the music. I'm not sure very many pirates were sitting down and writing music, though there are lots of pieces that might demonstrate that theme written by "traditional" composers. 

I would guess that it what PR did, and the post by Will Pitt seems to bear it out. They looked for music that fits their theme, movement by movement. Having to also factor in aspects that have nothing to do with what the audience member experiences isn't something they considered. They, like every corps staff, focused on what will be on the field that they think best highlights their show. Looking back, would it have been nice if they had thought of researching and using a piece by a woman composer if they found a suitable piece? Sure. They said it themselves. They did not. Oh, well. Beating them up over it is just plain silly, IMO.

but then you can't have forced social outrage

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

but then you can't have forced social outrage

Like the world needs any more of that.  LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rocketman said:

.... However, the activity really isn't about the music so much as it is about being able to tell the story....

This is one of the main reasons why I am losing intetest in the activity. Not just the lack of ballance between all design elements, but that music has become really nothing more than mere underlying sound to enhance the visual communication and/or story telling within many show designs.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 3

I would also add, sometimes music is just music.  Seriously, if you need to research what race, sex, gender, nationality...or whatever to make someone happy....get a life.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Like the world needs any more of that.  LOL

it's bled to the activity now. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the discussion, everyone. I appreciate your input on all of this. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

I would also add, sometimes music is just music.  Seriously, if you need to research what race, sex, gender, nationality...or whatever to make someone happy....get a life.

This.  This quote all day long.  I'm sure the staff chose the 2019 production source music based on the material's own merit & probably material of which they were familiar.  I'm also sure that the material promotes an enjoyable listening experience as well as analyzation, development, etc.  Also, source music that supports the design narrative.  No apology needed Mr. Pitts.         

Edited by keystone3ply
correction
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

This.  This quote all day long.  I'm sure the staff chose the 2019 production source music based on the material's own merit & probably material of which they were familiar.  I'm also sure that the material promotes an enjoyable listening experience as well as analyzation, development, etc.  Also, source music that supports the design narrative.  No apology needed Mr. Pitts.         

As far as I'm aware he has still not apologized for 2018....

• Like 4
  • Haha 3