2019 Phantom Regiment

23 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

As usual.  They can prove the naysayers wrong on June 20, everything in between, and finally, on 8/10.  

Until then, we’re all just speculating. 

I have to say that I love forming a theory or conjecture about a drum corps production without any firm evidence.  😂  But I will say, with firm evidence, the "O Fortuna" melody for solo mellophone is pretty cheesy.  It's just bad.  But I'll reserve my judgement for the Evansville show.     

Edited by keystone3ply
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

As usual.  They can prove the naysayers wrong on June 20, everything in between, and finally, on 8/10.  

Until then, we’re all just speculating

Exactly! There are parts of the show that made me smile and there were parts that didn't do it for me. Percussion features in that setting always sound like shoes in a dryer because you can't ####### hear anything except for "duzgida hugida ga-gok!! (echo for 3 seconds) and trying to listen center is just a silly dream.

I do like what I'm hearing and am very hopeful.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I have to say that I love forming a theory or conjecture about a drum corps production without any firm evidence.  😂  But I will say, with firm evidence, the "O Fortuna" melody for solo mellophone is pretty cheesy.  It's just bad.  But I'll reserve my judgement for the Evansville show.     

I’ll see them at the theater next Thursday although I don’t put much stock in that.  I won’t see them in person until Atlanta.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ll see them at the theater next Thursday although I don’t put much stock in that.  I won’t see them in person until Atlanta.  

Actually headed to Zionsville & Evansville.  Will not be back to Detroit due to a horrible hotel experience downtown.  Liked downtown & Ford Field, but a substandard level of hospitality from a Hilton product.  Would love to see the premiere back in Indy.  

• Like 1

This edition of Phantom Regiment will be entertaining and they have tons of potential with the musical program. I assume the drum break in FoEG if some sort of conflict (let’s see how that plays out on the field) but man.o’ man you can’t beat that resolution. Kudos for giving this piece it’s time to develop! The O’ Fortuna references are woven in nicely. Can’t wait to see how this show matures.

An early season SUTA to the MMs of 2019 PR

• Like 1

#### everyone knocking will pitts. this is a fricking fantastically arranged brass book, especially in the confines of phantom's identity. god forbid we change something once in a while on this website. go back to your archives from the 70s and 80s if you didn't want to hear anything modernized or re-imagined. this book rocks.

Edited by MikeD
Profanity
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Actually headed to Zionsville & Evansville.  Will not be back to Detroit due to a horrible hotel experience downtown.  Liked downtown & Ford Field, but a substandard level of hospitality from a Hilton product.  Would love to see the premiere back in Indy.  

I’m going to Zionsville, too but PR isn’t there. 

1 hour ago, brassdude6171 said:

##### everyone knocking will pitts. this is a fricking fantastically arranged brass book, especially in the confines of phantom's identity. god forbid we change something once in a while on this website. go back to your archives from the 70s and 80s if you didn't want to hear anything modernized or re-imagined. this book rocks.

Sorry I have an opinion different from yours. I definitely won't tell you to ##### off, though. 

At least I give actual reasons for not liking something. And trust me, Will Pitts could give a #### what I or anyone else here has to say. In the end, he has the job and we don't. So what if I'm not a fan of his brass book? Some of the best writers of all time have had their critics and Will is no different. He doesn't need to be shielded by his critics because I'm sure his skin is plenty thick enough.

Could I change my opinion of the book in a few weeks? Absolutely. At this moment in time, I based my opinion on what I heard and not rumor.

Anyway, I respect your opinion and best of luck to the members of Phantom Regiment.

Edited by MikeD
Profanity
  • Like 3

First impression from their annual music in the park concert: The look and sound reminds me of their '95 show when they first debuted the all black, and performed what I thought was a high-energy and exciting show! Looking forward to the visual package next week at the premiere and hope to see crowd involvement during the season with the "I am Joan!" shout.