2019 Phantom Regiment

This book definitely harkens back to several previous shows. I agree that the percussion is becoming boorish and a distraction from what seem to be some pretty good chops in the brass. 

My main thought after listening to it several times: it’s almost exactly what long-time fans of PR salivate over - myself included. I don’t really care about them being incredibly innovative. PR is a little like John Williams - most of his music is “pop-classical,” but people love him. I love his music. JW is all dessert all the time, and that’s what, I believe, most PR fans really want deep-down. And, that’s what this show is - chocolate lava cake. Spartacus 2 Electric Boogaloo. People went kung fu crazy for Spartacus, because most teens and young adults, like most PR fans love easily accessible music that goes down smooth and makes ya feel good. 

I don’t believe those wanting something more are looking at the correct corps. For those who like their Corp music a little sugary, 2019 PR seems to be delivering the goods. It’s worked for them many times in the past, and what has set them as America’s sweethearts of drum corps. 

I think the music’s a B+ at first hearing. 

Edited by PRomoter
Spelling

Listened to Concert in the Park for the first time this morning.  I'm not a brass guy, so I'm listening to this more from a fan and "package" perspective.

Initial thoughts are that they give you a teaser for Vox Populi, then a teaser for O Fortuna, then later on a teaser for Fire of Eternal Glory - it's a whole lot of buildup with little resolution for most of the first half of the show.  Then there's little resolution on the end.  FOEG gets is big finish, but O Fortuna and Vox Populi don't.  It's like math.  Or Excel.  If you're going to (((, then you need to ))).

On the other hand, the arrangements are still night and day better than last year.  There's a lot more flow to it, and they manage to get some complete thoughts in.  There are a lot of nifty little brass licks throughout that remind you that they're *really* good at what they do.  Drums were heavy on the recording, but i assumed it was due to the bandshell type setup and someone recording it on their cell phone.  I have a gut feeling a lot of the "intrusive" drum stuff is going to be played while either in the wings or backfield, for more of a in-the-distance effect.  

Overall, I do like this show already!  They give you the music they promise you, which is nice.  (And I couldn't say that last year.)  I'm excited to see them on the field - I think the Jedi under-uniforms look fantastic!

Mike

• Like 2

I was thinking about all the comments about music being broken up. My wife, a bystander fan (or someone who puts up with DCI on my account), and a British Lit teacher, mentioned immediately that she could pick out the many ups and downs of the JoA story just by listening to music. She actually recounted the story to me along to the music. She was impressed by how well the music fit the ebb and flow of the story. If you aren’t familiar with Joan’s story, there are a lot of ups and downs: the calling, identifying the king, winning battles, losing battles, being questioned for heresy, confessing, recanting, being burned. Listen to it again with the story in mind. I believe it actually makes sense. 

The big question is whether there will be a good translation of the story visually. It seems like a layup, but likely quite difficult. It’s all so much like Spartacus, which was not well received for much of the season. Too bad Joan can’t rush the DM stand and light the bishop on fire at the end. 😂

Edited by PRomoter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PRomoter said:

It’s all so much like Spartacus, which was not well received for much of the season.

According to who?

I saw them early in California and it was great then and only got better.

The problem they have had recently was, there was no further (noticeable) development. They got cleaner, sure, but the story line remained pretty much the same. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

14 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

According to who?

I saw them early in California and it was great then and only got better.

The problem they have had recently was, there was no further (noticeable) development. They got cleaner, sure, but the story line remained pretty much the same. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Well, it’s hard to knock what we haven’t seen yet, correct? I’m only referring to the music. You must admit that the music is a great improvement over the last few years. 

Thoughts?

By the way, it’s “according to whom.” My wife teaches grammar. I never hear the end of it. 🤣

Edited by PRomoter

8 minutes ago, MikeD said:

You ARE new to these here parts!

Knocking what we have not seen is the bread and butter of DCP!   😎   

LOL. I’ve been surfing this forum for about 6 years, but I try to stay silent, even though I do get somewhat frustrated at the conversation at times. 😁

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Rocketman said:

Pitts first year arrangements (2016) weren't horrible, but the following two were (IMO) a down hill slide. This year is drastically better, but, better than what, 2018?

I would say that design wise, he definitely doesn't shine like some of the more experienced designers at the top of the heap. But to be fair, he also hasn't been doing this for 20 years either. He needs some seasoning.

I like what I see (hear) from them this year as far as the brass book. The battery book seems a little heavy handed but I also have only heard anything of it in a 40 second snippet and then a standstill with HORRID acoustics for marching percussion. I'll withhold judgement until I see the entire package. And who knows, in 5 years or so maybe we'll be using phrases like 'Another brilliant Will Pitts design / arrangement." 

I always look at stuff like this and kind of circle back to my own experiences in building cues. I've had people come to me and hand me a cue that I built in 2005. Back then, I was proud as peach of that cue I'm sure. Every time this happens, I offer to buy the cue back and make a new one which is at least equal in design at no additional cost to the customer. Then I take that old cue and I BURN IT. We grow in art as we gain experience. Let's give the cat a chance. 

Just MHO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2019 at 3:10 PM, PRomoter said:

This book definitely harkens back to several previous shows. I agree that the percussion is becoming boorish and a distraction from what seem to be some pretty good chops in the brass. 

My main thought after listening to it several times: it’s almost exactly what long-time fans of PR salivate over - myself included. I don’t really care about them being incredibly innovative. PR is a little like John Williams - most of his music is “pop-classical,” but people love him. I love his music. JW is all dessert all the time, and that’s what, I believe, most PR fans really want deep-down. And, that’s what this show is - chocolate lava cake. Spartacus 2 Electric Boogaloo. People went kung fu crazy for Spartacus, because most teens and young adults, like most PR fans love easily accessible music that goes down smooth and makes ya feel good. 

I don’t believe those wanting something more are looking at the correct corps. For those who like their Corp music a little sugary, 2019 PR seems to be delivering the goods. It’s worked for them many times in the past, and what has set them as America’s sweethearts of drum corps. 

I think the music’s a B+ at first hearing. 

What you want along with your "sect" of long time fans is going to destroy PR.  Sugar sweet shows of the past isn't going to cut it in today's DCI competitive environment.  Days of old shows are going to continue to lower PR's standing.  Low ratings don't attract top talented MMs or MONEY.  Consequently the corps will die.  I am Spartacus was good in 2008, but ain't gonna cut it in 2019.

Edited by EricS
grammer

So what is, or was, a top tier corps is supposed do -  fizzle while a rookie cuts his teeth.  As in any profession,  new inexperienced people are not put in charge right out of the gate.  They grow with time and experience with lower rated groups while learning, honing and perfecting their skills while working their way up in the business.

Mount a campaign to raise funds for hiring the best staff money can buy and let them build a corps to be envied.  I think nay sayers would be shocked at how much money would flood in.

Edited by EricS
  • Like 1